• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Utley Suspended for Games 3&4

laagamer

Actually, Belle wasn't suspended for that hit on Vina.  Just fined $25k.  Hard to keep all of his fines and suspension straight... so much of it..

April 6, 1996: Albert hits Sports Illustrated photographer Tony Tomsic, who was photographing him, with a baseball. He contends that it wasn't deliberate.
May 16, 1996: AL President Gene Budig orders Belle to undergo counsling and perform community service
May 31, 1996: After getting hit by a pitch in the 8th inning of a game vs. the Milwaukee Brewers, Albert hits Fernando Vina with his forearm on a double-play ground ball, blaming Vina for standing in the baseline.
June 4, 1996: AL President Gene Budig suspends Belle and 2 others for 5 games after their roles in coming off the bench into a brawl in the 9th inning a game on May 30th.
June 14, 1996: The Yankees vs. Indians game is delayed twice due to fans throwing objects at Albert (such as baseballs).
June 21, 1996: Belle serves his suspension (reduced to 2 games) and is fined $25,000 for the Vina incident.

The slide was dirty. I don't know how people are even defending it. Take out slides are fine if they're done in a safe manner. Utley's was not done in that manner.

For those saying Tejada was in a bad position, that's entirely irrelevant. Utley still slid right as he got to the bag and would've tackled(yes, tackled) Tejada even if he was in the correct position. Playing the game hard is totally fine if it's done with good intentions. It looked like Utley was ready for NFL Sunday with that "slide".

And no, removing the take out slide or making a rule change on how late you can slide doesn't pussify the game. If you want to watch physical sports, then go watch football or hockey. 

Edited by Angels_Baseball

The slide was dirty. I don't know how people are even defending it. Take out slides are fine if they're done in a safe manner. Utley's was not done in that manner.

For those saying Tejada was in a bad position, that's entirely irrelevant. Utley still slid right as he got to the bag and would've tackled(yes, tackled) Tejada even if he was in the correct position. Playing the game hard is totally fine if it's done with good intentions. It looked like Utley was ready for NFL Sunday with that "slide".

And no, removing the take out slide or making a rule change on how late you can slide doesn't pussify the game. If you want to watch physical sports, then go watch football or hockey. 

The risk of breaking up a double play can also hurt the runner. It's hard nosed baseball and I'm good with it either way.

bryceheadkick033114.gif

If an Angels player made that slide in a playoff game everyone here would be applauding the slide saying it's good hard baseball.  I'm good with the slide, happens all the time in baseball, and just happened earlier in the day with Donaldson in the Jays game.  Unfortunate Tejada broke his leg on the play, Murphy should've made a better toss.  

I'm fine with runners sliding to take out the second baseman. But that requires the runners to actually freaking slide. Chase Utley did not slide at second, he basically went straight for the middle infielder without even trying to touch second. Why he was safe and sent back to 2nd is bullshit. Also, if runners are going to slide into unprotected infielders with cheap shots after they pass 2nd base, which is what Utley did there, infielders should be able to retaliate and start landing on guys cleat first with little regard for the safety of the runners.

To be honest I thought much more highly of Utley, and the fact that I saw him do that last night in my mind turned him straight into trash. Hey Utley, you ever think your careers gone on so long because runners weren't being assholes on the basepaths doing whatever they freaking could to take you out with a gutless cheap shot late slide?

Also thought it was hilarious that Howies reputation proceeds him as he no doubt began one of his classic GIDP to end the inning during a pivotal point in the game.

The Dogs got lucky winning one game with gutless classless baseball and umps that blew a call while catering to the Dodgers. Joe Torre you are also gutless and classless and an asshat for not standing against this type of bullsh*t mentality. Now more than ever I want the Mets to beat the Doyers f**king asses.

If a guy slides at or past the bag it's a bullshit play. As he's running to second his objective is to be safe not to break up the double play. Once it was a foregone conclusion he was out he broke up the double play. In my opinion at that point when he slides past the bag he is conceding the out and should have been called out.