• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Utley Suspended for Games 3&4

laagamer

So the Mets lose the game on an illegal play. Way to go MLB. I'm sure the Dodgers will happily trade 1 win for a 2 game suspension.

It is interesting. I don't think that penalty is harsh enough. Teams could theoretically just put in a PR in to try and take out a SS or 2B. I'll just go ahead and assume that the Red Sox would do this.

Here's the rule for it.

Official Baseball Rule 5.09 (a)(13)

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2015/official_baseball_rules.pdf

A batter is out when:

(13) A preceding runner shall, in the umpire’s judgment, intentionally interfere with a fielder who is attempting to catch a thrown ball or to throw a ball in an attempt to complete any play;

Rule 5.09(a)(13) Comment (Rule 6.05(m) Comment): The objective of this rule is to penalize the offensive team for deliberate, unwarranted, unsportsmanlike action by the runner in leaving the baseline for the obvious purpose of crashing the pivot man on a double play, rather than trying to reach the base. Obviously this is an umpire’s judgment play.

Here's the rule for it.

Official Baseball Rule 5.09 (a)(13)

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2015/official_baseball_rules.pdf

A batter is out when:

(13) A preceding runner shall, in the umpire’s judgment, intentionally interfere with a fielder who is attempting to catch a thrown ball or to throw a ball in an attempt to complete any play;

Rule 5.09(a)(13) Comment (Rule 6.05(m) Comment): The objective of this rule is to penalize the offensive team for deliberate, unwarranted, unsportsmanlike action by the runner in leaving the baseline for the obvious purpose of crashing the pivot man on a double play, rather than trying to reach the base. Obviously this is an umpire’s judgment play.

So by rule all of these slides are illegal for leaving the baseline...

8568581.jpg

aybar_double_play_over_arod.jpg

chase-utley.jpg

BxdR8FcCEAA-49i.png

lad101.jpg

564044209-dodgers-second-baseman-jeff-ke

101962540-erick-aybar-of-the-los-angeles

Edited by CALZONE

So by rule all of these slides are illegal for leaving the baseline...

chase-utley.jpg

BxdR8FcCEAA-49i.png

Both of these are absurd. The runners couldn't reach the bases even if they tried. That Matt Holliday one is pretty bad too.

Something that's been going on for way too long, of course finally somebody got hurt, but looking at these images it was just a matter of time.

These baserunners should be automatically out and so should the batter running to first because of interference. If the fielder is quick enough to get out of the way and the runners are still gunning for them, they can go f*** themselves.

Also, I think it's probably in Utley's best interest to not be in the game. 1st off it looked like he might have had a concussion or some kind of symptom of such because he did not look too sharp after hitting his head on Tejada's knee and then hitting the ground. 2nd off I think Mets pitchers would be throwing at his freakin' head.

Edited by CaliAngel