• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Utley Suspended for Games 3&4

laagamer

I googled a Phillies forum, just to see how classy they are staying about his situation. Here's some of what's being said:

"Chase being Chase, dat's ma boy!"

"Stop being a pussy tejada"

"Tejada shouldn't be near 2b if he don't want his legs broken!"

"Classic Utley, hardnose ball ala Pete Rose. Keepin' it real!"

"Utley just saved the dodgers season with this amazing slide"

Edited by zenmaster

I don't know what Utley said after the game, but here's what he should have said....

"I went into the slide thinking one thing and one thing only...break up the double play so we can tie this game. It's the playoffs and we can't go to New York down 2-0. After watching the replay, it's obvious I came in too high and slid too late. I apologize to Tejada and the Mets. My only intention was to get that run home."

Everyone can relate to that. If he tries to deny that it was too late or too high, he opens himself up to more criticism.

Nothing wrong with a hard slide, but that wasn't a slide. Falling to the ground does not qualify it as a slide.

Also, I thought the runner had to be able to reach the bag for a slide to be permissible? Is that not really a rule? It seems like guys are often fully body lengths away from the bag after sliding.

Utley didn't go into second with intent to injure.  He went in to do his job.  Tejada seemed to not be experienced in that scenario.  The middle infielder doesn't have a right to the area around the bag and should be trained to understand that a runner will be attempting to take them out.  It's all about timing in my opinion.  Hard hit ball with a quick, accurate exchange gives Tejada an extra count to get the throw off (maybe) and exit the general area of the bag, but at any speed that is gonna be a tough DP to turn.  Utley could start his slide anywhere within a certain radius of the bag (ability to extend and still be able to touch the bag) and be OK in my book.  Did his slide look awkward, yes.  Did he believe that he'd injure Tejada, probably not.  Could it possibly, certainly.  But that is where I believe some responsibility lies on Tejada to recognize the timing of that delivery to him, get the force out, and hop away from the bag.  To expect that you can take the throw with your back to the runner and spin and throw unabated is ridiculous.  If I was Utley I would've likely been slightly surprised to find Tejada still there.

My high school coach, who now runs a prestigious training facility in SoCal, used to roll 50 gallon barrels at the middle infielders teaching them to expect to throw and hop or move laterally.  He also used to teach the middle infielders to, when applicable, release from sidearm or down low to force the runner to get down early or eat a ball in the face.  There was no time for any of this in this instance and, that, more than anything is why Tejada took the contact and got hurt.

Slide? He took a knee near 2B at 10 mph. 

It's funny reading all the excuses on why Chase isn't the dick he appeared to be. For all you "it’s a part of the game" folks, I'm curious how you'll feel when Chase swallows a 95 mph heater from Harvey, or 21-year-old Seager gets intentionally taken out and possibly hurt. I think the hard slide into second is a part of the game and should be allowed to stay, but what Chase did was way over the top, and he should have been removed from the game last night. 

Listening to Joe Torre last night, I’m amazed at what an idiot he came across as. How in the world was he picked for Commissioner, WOW?

The middle infielder doesn't have a right to the area around the bag and should be trained to understand that a runner will be attempting to take them out.  It's all about timing in my opinion.

It's as if Tejada was expecting to be taken out at the legs, much like he has experienced 99.999999% of the time since he's been playing ball. Who woulda thought this douche bag would be ass high with his shoulders? Oh, and beginning his slide AT 2B, not before it. Sure, somehow it's Tejada's fault.  

Not sure what your saying. His hand never touched the base. It got about three inches close but never touched. His elbow was bent and it never looked like Utley even reached for the bag.

Looking at the play. Hard but clean. Utley had his hand on the base. Not that far off the base at all. Tejada did the spin move putting him in danger.

I'm ok with this slide because Tejada was in the danger zone.

101015-MLB-Mets-Dodgers-Controversial-Sl

I'm not ok with this slide as the second baseman was in a safe zone.

chase-utley.jpg

Aybar does the same thing

456793912-erick-aybar-of-the-los-angeles

According to you, as long as I can touch second base with my hand, I can get as high as I want, and I don't need to start my slide until I'm on top of the bag?

Utley didn't go into second with intent to injure.  He went in to do his job.  Tejada seemed to not be experienced in that scenario.  The middle infielder doesn't have a right to the area around the bag and should be trained to understand that a runner will be attempting to take them out.  It's all about timing in my opinion.  Hard hit ball with a quick, accurate exchange gives Tejada an extra count to get the throw off (maybe) and exit the general area of the bag, but at any speed that is gonna be a tough DP to turn.  Utley could start his slide anywhere within a certain radius of the bag (ability to extend and still be able to touch the bag) and be OK in my book.  Did his slide look awkward, yes.  Did he believe that he'd injure Tejada, probably not.  Could it possibly, certainly.  But that is where I believe some responsibility lies on Tejada to recognize the timing of that delivery to him, get the force out, and hop away from the bag.  To expect that you can take the throw with your back to the runner and spin and throw unabated is ridiculous.  If I was Utley I would've likely been slightly surprised to find Tejada still there.

My high school coach, who now runs a prestigious training facility in SoCal, used to roll 50 gallon barrels at the middle infielders teaching them to expect to throw and hop or move laterally.  He also used to teach the middle infielders to, when applicable, release from sidearm or down low to force the runner to get down early or eat a ball in the face.  There was no time for any of this in this instance and, that, more than anything is why Tejada took the contact and got hurt.

I don't disagree with this, but this is playoff baseball. Utley is going in extra hard and Tejada is risking even more to make sure he gets the out and has a chance at first. I'm sure in the regular season he bail on that play, but in that situation in that game he's going to risk it.