• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

You're Going To Chow Down Like A Sad Fatty

Adam

Moro Bay is not the most high end harbor on the coastline, in fact it is kinda sad in some ways. Many of the boats are old and worn out from wind, sea and a lack of care. It is a place to go, you can climb the rock, take a harbor cruise for $10, paddle board or sail in the peninsula without worry of speed boats making waves, just watch out for the stray whale that wanders in and gets lost. You can even go surfing outside the bay and get your board eaten by a shark but it is no Newport beach.

So it didn't take long for us to want to explore a little further and ended up in snooty little Cambria. It is everything a wine town aspires to be, a never ending traffic jam of cars looking for a parking spot in all of the residential areas that half of the homes are converted to restaurants or shops, all selling the same seashell jewelry and t-shirts. But is quaint with the turn of the century homes and plenty of antique shops to nose through looking for something none of them have while people stumble out of wine tasting shops with bottles of wine they had no intention of buying but after a few too many free samples they would have bought Welches Grape Drink for $27 per bottle.

This little side trip would have been just ok if it weren't for a highway billboard along the way advertising Linn's pies.  It was like the sign had been there since the 50's and the next one should be Burma Shave. So we stop in Cambria which required we search for a parking spot on a side street and low and behold there is Linn's little café. There is also Linn's gift shop in a converted barn and clothing store from a remolded house . We decide let's wait until were are foot worn and come back for a well earned slice.

Hitting the main drag and there is Linn's restaurant and bakery. Damn, this woman has pretty much bought out a half block of Cambria on pie crust. And when we had finished with our window shopping we went to the main street café and checked out their bakery display filled with more than just pies with all sorts of fattening baked goods. Ready to sit down, we are told the actual restaurant doesn't open until 5 pm. So we make the trek back up the side street to the car and Linn's other properties. The little café doesn't disappoint because they are making fresh pies right there, including all forms of pot pies for lunch or dinner.

Why would I waste time on lunch or dinner after chowing down on BBQ? I came for desert, I was getting desert and they didn't disappoint with a raspberry/rhubarb pie for me while Carol went with Olallieberry, each with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. Each slice is 1/3 of a pie. Sitting on the patio, surrounded by the gilded era buildings, eating pie, I had to wonder why this can't happen every weekend.

Did I mention I haven't looked at the scale?

Edited by notti

You hit up Cambria on "Pinedorado Days" which is a very popular event with locals and tourists alike, so its not crazy busy like that all the time. Snooty? lol.  Pretty laid back up there IMO. Windows on the Water is probably one of the best "fine dining" restaurants on the north coast, always rated very well.  Nice views of the rock at sunset too. Next time, also check out Dorn's (on the Embarcadero) which is just good, cheaper, well-prepared food. Also, go to Taco Temple for lunch. Corny name, bad location, but super good Cali/Mex food with big portions.

SLO Doughnut is supurb, we get it in the office quite often.  You chose a good weekend to hit up the coast with the perfect weather out there. I was in MB walking around the piers with the kids last night.

We saw Taco Temple on the drive back from Cambria after literally stuffing our pie hole. The entire parking lot around the place was filled with cars and I mentioned to my wife it must be pretty good considering it's location. Her response, "They are the only place not selling fish and chips." Which is not funny to anyone that hasn't walked the Morro Bay embarcadero.

SLO Doughnut was good but I hate to say Dolly's little donut dump had better donuts.

some of the best donuts ive ever had, were in chillicothe, ohio last month.

at the "crispie creme donut shop."

no relation to the chain krispy kreme - these guys have been around way longer and its just the one place.

i love old diners and coffee shops, so we pulled in to check it out.

total time warp, has been there since 1929 and probably never changed.

has an old school round counter that was filled with old-timer locals.

we got a lot of looks as we came walking in, but everyone was super nice.

the coffee was on point and i had my first cro-nut - which blew my mind.

http://cmhgourmand.com/2011/05/07/the-original-crispie-creme-donuts-on-the-ohio-donut-trail-in-chillicothe/

Edited by mrwicked

I'll be in Morro Bay in a couple weeks. I'll try and hit up Brickhouse and Slo Doughnuts.

Any other good places to have dinner? We'll have a 4 month old with us FYI.

Brickhouse is cheap for BBQ food. Normally a 2 meat dinner would hit you for $15 or more dollars other places, they charge $11. They also serve it to go whether you are going to eat there or not, saves them on giving you the to go container when you can't finish it all. My suggestion is you and the wife share a three meat with the pair of sides (get the ranch beans!) for $13 and you will have money left over for a couple of craft beers to go with it. That area is the funky old town of Morro Bay and if you are up to it you can walk on down to the bay. 

If you want to walk and window shop then San Luis Obispo old downtown is going to hit all your needs. There are dozens of restaurants and some overlook the small creek that runs through the downtown. 

Edited by notti

Another tid bit from our dinner at Windows on the Water. We ordered and were served an abalone appetizer that was served with a very light sauce and micro greens garnish. The garnish were almost recognizable small green leafs with stems attached and I commented it had a certain flavor I can't put a name to.

Just as I took a drink of water and without missing a beat Carol says, "Its the Dichondra."

Not much romance when your husband spits water through his nose laughing. So glad we were there for an early dinner and it wasn't a full restaurant of witnesses.

I'll be in Morro Bay in a couple weeks. I'll try and hit up Brickhouse and Slo Doughnuts.

Any other good places to have dinner? We'll have a 4 month old with us FYI.

While I don't eat out there often, I have a few go-to spots that I frequent.  Like Blarg said, most MB places specialize in seafood, with most of it being fried.  If you walk around the embarcadero, lots of restaurants have walk-up counters to sit and eat basic fried seafood fare, I think Tognazzini is one of the better ones. Like I mentioned earlier, I would recommend Dorn's for a nicer meal, Taco Temple for good Mexicali food (cash only, try the carnitas platter), Tacos de Mexico for more "authentic" Mex food, Stax for wine/tapas (although might not be the atmosphere you're looking for with a 4mo old), Libertine Pub for a beer (great selection, just don't get any food there).

Let me know if you plan on coming into SLO, more/better choices there. Hope this points you in the right direction.

Another tid bit from our dinner at Windows on the Water. We ordered and were served an abalone appetizer that was served with a very light sauce and micro greens garnish. The garnish were almost recognizable small green leafs with stems attached and I commented it had a certain flavor I can't put a name to.

Just as I took a drink of water and without missing a beat Carol says, "Its the Dichondra."

Not much romance when your husband spits water through his nose laughing. So glad we were there for an early dinner and it wasn't a full restaurant of witnesses.

That's funny. tank would have ordered the micro greens appetizer with the abalone garnish.

• 2 weeks later...

Arts, Cantors or Chino Hills Roscoe's deli for a Reuben sandwich. The best I ever had was at Franks in Milwaukee.

Giovannis Pizza on Williamson back in the day had the best Italian cold cut sandwiches. They sold it, bought it back but it has been so long I don't know who owns it. I've never ordered a sandwich from Claros but have definitely a lot of Italian meats.

never been to the chino hills one, but the roscoes in fullerton was the first place id ever had a rueben and was blown away. Have ordered it a few times since but have never been able to find one as good.

I recently had popeyes chicken, out of the blue because i was in a rush....was pretty impressed. Liked it a lot better than kfc (though thats not saying much. Kfc is going downhill)

never been to the chino hills one, but the roscoes in fullerton was the first place id ever had a rueben and was blown away. Have ordered it a few times since but have never been able to find one as good.

I recently had popeyes chicken, out of the blue because i was in a rush....was pretty impressed. Liked it a lot better than kfc (though thats not saying much. Kfc is going downhill)

Yeah, I never thought to eat there but tried Popeyes on a whim looking for something new about a year or so ago. I ended up going through a phase of eating there pretty regularly. Pretty solid for fast food.

Yen Ching has been there at least 25 years. I even remember it when it was a Smorgasbord place, and the adjacent community to the south was a miniature golf course in the 1970s.

I read their little bio on the back of the menu. I guess the old head chef there started P.F. Chang's.

After the three day vacation I have no updates on any foods I've been able to chow down on except for one incident.

I had a mad desire for a Reuben sandwich so we went to Roscoe's in Chino Hills that makes a pretty reasonable sammie. Ordered it with no dressing and a side of mustard along with an iced tea. It shows up and I take one small bite of the corned beef hanging out the sides and swallow only to have the damn thing lodge in the lower part of the esophagus.

I don't know if any of you have suffered through this, it is painful as hell. The food never actually reaches the stomach but stops at what is called the lower esophageal sphincter which is an involuntary muscle. Which means you can't control when it decides to shut the tube down and anything lodged in there becomes a painful blockage. This can result in hiccups which really do not help at all so you have constricted pain, hiccups and no way to swallow. You are hoping for a burp but that could just be the precursor to vomiting in public.

So I sit there waiting... waiting... waiting with out eating and starting to sweat and my wife and kids are making jokes, do we need to take you to the hospital? I gave her a pretty cold stare and said "Maybe but until then I don't want to hear another joke or question." 

It took about 20 minutes before it finally quit it's spasm. I drank my iced tea and boxed up the sandwich to go, my own body said, no chowing down like a sad fatty tonight!

On the positive side I have moved the scale in the right direction.

I go to Roscoes regularly, I live just a few minutes from the one in Chino Hills. They have a Rib Eye that is covered in bacon and whiskey peppercorn sauce that is pretty good. If I am going for the sandwich, I like to get that with their home made chips. All of their sandwiches are great.