• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

You're Going To Chow Down Like A Sad Fatty

Adam

Cmon. Disappointed in you. That place skus. The taco factory across the street crushes it. Or, head slightly west down McFadden into Santa Ana for real Mexican food.

To be fair, there's no such thing as a bad breakfast burrito. Like pizza, even the bad ones are good.

I've always wanted to try that taco shop, but I hate where it's located and think about getting in and out which always makes me pass.

The best Vietnamese coffee is about a shopping pad or two over towards the 5.

I'm going to have to bookmark mexi Casa

i have been going there all my life.

i even remember going before they moved to the new/current location.

i still hit it up when im in town, the #17 with taco and tostada is legit.

everyone gets their own $4 pitcher of beer or sangria.

the food isnt great, nor is it bad. its just... decent and cheap and never changes.

i had a huge crush on one of the waitresses there was i was like 12 because she looked like a hot pirate wench.

as far as i know she is still there 20 years later.

great, great place.

To be fair, there's no such thing as a bad breakfast burrito. Like pizza, even the bad ones are good.

when my school has a half day, the cafeteria is closed so we do a giant pizza run. we always order from pizza man. the next time we have one, i'll give you a call so you can join. you will quickly and immediately change your view on "there's no such thing as a bad pizza."

In Orange? Zito's or Buccaneer.

And yeah for $4.99 Valentino's isn't too bad.

You, of course, know that there's the character "Zito" in Miami Vice.  Played by John Diehl.  I first remember him in the movie "Stripes."  "I figured I'd better join...before I got drafted."

Anyways, Zito gets killed off in the 3rd season.  A real heartbreaking two-parter with a boxing backstory.  It guest starred Randall 'Tex' Cobb and Don King.  

I once had a conversation about Vice and his character Zito.  He's a real nice dude.  

I've always wanted to try that taco shop, but I hate where it's located and think about getting in and out which always makes me pass.

The best Vietnamese coffee is about a shopping pad or two over towards the 5.

Absolutely disagree. There is bad pizza. I've had lots of it. Also, breakfast burritos can be very bland, or too full of cold pick, which makes everything else cold.

They aren't for everyone, but try Nate's Kwik Corner just on the other side of the 55 by Main and Bristol.

i have been going there all my life.

i even remember going before they moved to the new/current location.

i still hit it up when im in town, the #17 with taco and tostada is legit.

everyone gets their own $4 pitcher of beer or sangria.

the food isnt great, nor is it bad. its just... decent and cheap and never changes.

i had a huge crush on one of the waitresses there was i was like 12 because she looked like a hot pirate wench.

as far as i know she is still there 20 years later.

great, great place.

I've been eating at Mi Casa forever. Menus are virtually identical. All part of the Cal Mex tradition that really hit gold in the 50s.

Absolutely disagree. There is bad pizza. I've had lots of it. Also, breakfast burritos can be very bland, or too full of cold pick, which makes everything else cold.

They aren't for everyone, but try Nate's Kwik Corner just on the other side of the 55 by Main and Bristol.

Nate's is solid. Some the dude's bring them into the office.

I Googled best breakfast burritos in OC and both Nate's and Hole Mole are listed. Hole Mole was closer and open.

This will sound dumb, but I will let it fly. As you can imagine I have had my share of INO. Yesterday, I was working, and I had meetings until about 2pm, then I went to one of my stores. Because I have so many burgers I am not all that picky about what I order and usually just let them make me something. Most of them know my rules, my burger should have onions and shouldn't have mustard. So I tell them to cook me a burger, "What would you like? I don't care, just make sure it has onions." They made me a simple Double Single (two meat one slice of cheese) with onions and they added sliced chilli peppers. It also came with lettuce, spread and tomatoes. I've had that burger dozens of times before, if not hundreds of times. For some reason, this was the perfect burger yesterday. For me it usually comes down to four things with my burger, is it properly seasoned, is the bun properly toasted, are the tomatoes fresh or do they taste refrigerated, and then is the burger not over-cooked. It was as good of a burger as I have had in a long time. I know those things, or our business model seems simple enough, but to do it at its highest level, it's pretty difficult at times. Every burger we make is pretty damn good, but every once in awhile it makes you forget the other 5,000 burgers you have had. Thanks for allowing me to share something that probably bores the hell out of all of you.

Damn, now I want InO

Breakfast at Red Hill in Fontana, stack of basketball hoop sized pancakes, hot sausages, hash browns, and coffee with cream.

ELEVENSES at Burrito Express in Pasadena, bean and cheese burrito with their mild red sauce.

Lunch at Top's in Pasadena (the one on East Colorado blvd), pastrami sandwich with side of chili cheese fries topped with black pepper and chili powder at the table, raspberry iced tea.

Desert at Pie and Burger, key lime pie with vanilla bean ice cream.

Dinner would be a Phillipes french dip with extra au jus and a couple Red Trolley ales if going out.

Stay at home would be a large Round Table pepperoni pizza with crushed bacon and green peppers, and a sixer of Rogue Hazelnut Brown ale.

Desert would be a Fosselman's double chocolate malt made with chocolate ice cream and syrup, malt powder and a chopped banana.

Om. Nom. Nom.

If I'm gonna be slovenly and lunch off:

Newport Rib Co. as long as the onion brick is included with extra sugar, I mean bbq sauce.

Indian food -- Preferably on Brick Lane in London where the food is excellent and plentiful and inexpensive.  

A couple of the Lebanese places in Little Gaza (Anaheim).  I like the Olive Tree but it's hot and stuffy.  The food is terrific when it's not too busy.  Otherwise, the chicken can be overcooked.  Extra rounds of kebbeh for me!

Maggiano's -- Perhaps a cliche as its a chain, but I like their meat sauce.  They don't get too cute with it.  Just simple, flavorful Italian-American sauce with better quality ingredients.  I take mine over rigatoni.  I like the house salad with the Magliano's salad dressing.  All in all, a good meal.

The Spaghetti Bender in Newport -- Lo-pro family run restaurant where the staff is often local teens who look like they've just rushed out of their surf session.  I like the food and vibe.  Reminds me of growing up in SoCal before it got overcrowded and the pace was a little more forgiving.

Haute Cakes, Newport -- They have this custard pastry thing that is nuts.  I order it and kid myself that I'll share it or will only eat half then take the rest home.  That rarely happens.  The crowd has frown more and more pretentious, but the food is fantastic.

Ali Baba in Las Vegas -- It's never crowded for lunch which I like.  My friends and I order tons of Lebanese and it's as good, if not better, then the food in Little Gaza.  My favorite kebbeh.  

if theyre as accurate as his musings on baseball he loses credibility

He doesn't just hate Arte, he hates everything/everyone, which is probably a prerequisite to be the editor of the OC Weekly.  He is also a racist who hates white people.  He ends pretty much every public speaking opportunity by saying something about the 'reconquista.'  

Theres some hole in wall place in newport by the bars that makes these hot ham and cheese croissants. Pretty amazing after a day of sunday boozing during football

I believe you are referring to Doughboys, which is near the Alley and Jack in the Box.  My favorite all time donut is sold there:  the chocolate dipped old fashioned.  I have sung its praises on this board before. 

Haven't been in a while, but look for the "Life Coach" advertisement taped to the window.  It's next to the ad for their ice cream donut or whatever it is.  You will please to notice that there is an inconsistent use of font sizes in the Life Coach's phone number.  

You, of course, know that there's the character "Zito" in Miami Vice.  Played by John Diehl.  I first remember him in the movie "Stripes."  "I figured I'd better join...before I got drafted."

Anyways, Zito gets killed off in the 3rd season.  A real heartbreaking two-parter with a boxing backstory.  It guest starred Randall 'Tex' Cobb and Don King.  

I once had a conversation about Vice and his character Zito.  He's a real nice dude.  

5667983882_413388e4ea_b.jpg

It's been years since I've been there, but think it is the Vietnamese place on the boardwalk.

The ham and cheese croissants. One of the busiest places I've ever seen after 2am.

You would get a better donut, if that's what you're in the market for, at Doughboys.  Haven't tried the croissants, but those usually come frozen, in a cardboard box to most of these joints.  If you hit up Doughboys at the right time, there's a very slender and fit asian dude about 25 years old who has a thick accent, but he's known to throw down some local surf-type slang with hilarious results.  He's there greatest.  We talk about working out.  I told him, "I don't know how you're not 200 lbs. working here with all these donuts.  I'd crush them non-stop."

"I DO!" He said.  "I always eat them.  But I go in the back and do crunches when it's not busy."

Nate's is solid. Some the dude's bring them into the office.

I Googled best breakfast burritos in OC and both Nate's and Hole Mole are listed. Hole Mole was closer and open.

Hole Mole goes back in the aforementioned "don't trust reviews of Mexican joints by Asians."

My mother in law loves Hole Mole. She has terrible taste in food.

The only thing I think is decent there is, taco Tuesday and the shrimp taco.

I went 7 weeks without a day off and then took my wife to Morro Bay for the weekend and said to hell with the diet. I have not stepped on a scale because I just know I took have of what I ate home with me.

Sad fatty alert, the photo you are about to see could prompt you to drive all the way to Morro Bay just for a damn donut, or in this case Cronut.

o.jpg

That is a non greasy cronut (every one I got around here tasted liked they soaked up half the fryer oil) with a silky maple glaze and fresh bacon. Yeah, it is so stupidly good you really don't care their coffee is just marginal at best. Dolly's Donuts is kid of a dump of a place and has patrons non stop, some stupid ones that bring their family and stand in the doorway blocking the entrance, then when you get by the indecisive idiots and place your order they scream they were here first. But they still don't know what they want, so I ignored them and ordered anyways. The people behind the counter didn't flinch, they get these people all the time. The idiots were still deciding as we sat down and started eating.

If you ask people that are trying to maintain their image they recommend SLO doughnut Company (most just call it Slow-dough) in San Luis Obispo. They have great coffee and a beautiful display of their donuts along with this chute behind the counter that fresh donuts arrive all the time. Comfortable seating and air conditioning, everything Dolly's isn't except they don't make as good of a donut. Their maple topping still has that granulated sugar taste and the maple isn't as prominent.

Inside%2BSloDoCo2.jpg

Ok, so we were in Morro Bay and went to the only restaurant on the Embarcadero that isn't serving fish and chips, it was called Windows on the Water. It also has an extensive wine list and Sommelier to pick out the perfect bottle to go with what you are eating, Yeah, to hell with that and it was margaritas on the rocks. We started with some Abalone appetizer then a whole Bronzino for me and a linguine pasta for her, topped off with Crème Brulee. High class oinking as we sat at a window overlooking Morro Bay which is better than a window overlooking San Dimas.

I told you all that to tell you this. We wasted or money. Not that it wasn't delicious, the service was excellent and the location and mood was just what you would want for a romantic setting for dinner. 

But Brickhouse BBG up the street is some serious good eats. And if you are eating like a Sad Fatty then you don't need a Sommelier, you need more napkins and maybe a to go box because even a two item combo for $11 is too much good food. I went with tri tip and ribs with garlic green beans and ranch beans. My wife went with pulled pork and ribs with the ranch beans and for some dumb reason cole slaw. Should have just done two orders of the ranch beans.

Let's start there, fattys. The ranch beans were like a near perfect chili with chopped up tri tip in it. Had I only known that would have been all I needed but then there was the rest of the plate which included garlic green beans which definitely rivals any garlic fries you may ever had and it is borderline healthy if it weren't for the butter. Matched with that was the tri tip that was sliced thin like roast beef and was damn close in tenderness without the fat content. Painfully enough I even ate two of the three spare ribs on the plate and had to throw in the towel and pack up the rest to go. That wasn't before I nabbed some of the wife's pulled pork and dredged it in a combination of different sauces they had.

You are in a tourist trap town and they had some of the best donuts and bbq you could hope for but you needed to look for them. Brickhouse we found by smell. We left the embarcadero and were driving up Moro Bay Bvld while discussing lunch and smelled it as we passed by. It was enticing enough to make a U turn just to check it out. Dolly's we found on Yelp which I rarely use these days because the Tran Clan holds every restaurant hostage for a review making it pretty worthless. In both cases it worked out for the best.

Next up at trip to Cambria.