• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels going after Zobrist and Shields

"James Shields, RHP, free agent — It hasn’t been easy to determine Shields’s market. Jon Lester’s negotiations were so public, yet Shields’s have been private. Still, the teams who have had discussions or shown interest, according to a major league source, are the Red Sox, Cubs, Angels, Dodgers, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Giants.

3. Ben Zobrist, 2B/RF, Rays — Zobrist, 33, has one of the biggest trade markets out there. The super utilityman is being pursued seriously by the Giants, Nationals, Angels, and Cubs"

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/01/04/top-possible-baseball-story-lines-for/Gw2BdFt1HSCliLtHC2rY9N/story.html

Zobrist is a guy I want, as far as Shields, I am indifferent about. He certainly makes the top of the rotation better and could be slotted in at the #3. What I won't be able to handle is reading AO post his "Not Big Game" James nonsense after he gives up a first inning run in his first game of the year.

No to one year rentals and long term expensive contracts to players in their 30s.

There is an interesting excerpt about Dan Uggla in the linked article.

As far as the "one year rental" it depends on the cost. Also, it is partially up to the Angels if it would only be a one year rental. If they want the guy back they could re-sign him. If we could get him and not give up Heaney or Newcombe, then I think you look long and hard at him. Would you give up Hector Santiago for him? I certainly would consider it. He is a very good offensive 2nd baseman that deepens a line up, and would be the perfect #2 hitter in our line up.

Reading the article I get the impression the author is just throwing team names out there without any real insider information saying one particular club or another has people talking to players still available. The Angels traded Kendrick so put the Angels in the group of teams looking for a 2nd basemen whether they are or not. The Angels look like they are low on veteran arms, throw them in with the James Shields rumors.

Look, I like both Shields and Zobrist and obviously the Angels would be a better team with then without them. But the Rays will require a lot for Zobrist. Consider that, according to fWAR, Zobrist isn't just the best 2B in the game from 2009 to the present, but the second best player of any position - behind only Cabrera and just ahead of Cano. Zobrist's hitting has slipped a bit the last two years, but he's still seventh best in the majors and basically equal with Cano (11.1 to 11.2) among second basemen. In other words, he's very very good.

If fWAR is any judge, Zobrist is actually quite a bit underrated (although you could also argue that he's a good example of how WAR overvalues defense).

All that said, what would the Rays want? Probably Heaney or maybe Santiago plus two or three of the Angels' best prospects. But wouldn't other teams be able to outbid them?

Zobrist is a guy I want, as far as Shields, I am indifferent about. He certainly makes the top of the rotation better and could be slotted in at the #3. What I won't be able to handle is reading AO post his "Not Big Game" James nonsense after he gives up a first inning run in his first game of the year.

Now, now, that is only referring to huge late season/post-season games.

I admit that things like that can change (see Barroids pre-2002 vs 2002).

But until it does, that will be his late/post-season gloss.

Shields is on the wrong side of 30 with an ever-depleting fastball.  Don't pay him for what he's done in the past, because that's not what he's going to give you in the future.  He's a #3/4 starter that will cost the same as an ace. 

Zobrist, one year rental man, what can I say?  Yeah, he'd be a great replacement for Howie, but he'd also make all the moves the Angels made for Rutledge, Featherston, Green and Giavotella pointless.  I very much doubt the Angels would scrap that plan so deep into it and just go with Zobrist. 

I very much doubt the Angels are in on any major remaining free agents or trade targets. 

Another point to consider is that the Angels will be giving up the last pick of the 1st round if we signed Shields. That isn't too terrible of a price to pay if we can get him on a 3 or 4 year contract. His changeup has been absolutely stellar in past seasons although 2014 it wasn't nearly as good as it was previously. There is a BABIP issue with that pitch (.302 in 2014 vs .287 career) so perhaps a team gambles on a return to form. His velocity has been decent the last three years as well.

If the price and years are reasonable I see no reason why you couldn't sign Shields and then package a deal around Santiago or another prospect to the Rays for Zobrist. Alternatively you just sign Shields and run with one of the 2B options we have now. Remember that Zobrist has been declining against RHP in the last 2 years so there is some warning signs although I think they are minable when you consider Zobrist's versatility and defense.

I agree with Scotty.  If we want a veteran arm to fit into the 3/4 spot into the rotation, we could sign Shields.  But he won't cost you 3/4 type money and because of that I'M OUT.  Patience is the name of the game at this point.  Take what you have in the potential lineup (Calhoun, Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, Freese, Cron, Aybar, Iannetta, Green) and hope some guys progress (Trout, Calhoun, Hamilton, Freese, Cron, Green), hold their recent numbers (Pujols, Aybar, Iannetta), and that nobody seriously tanks.  We have good depth on the pitching side of the ledger in both the starting staff and bullpen.  IF someone tanks or we suffer an injury, we have payroll flexibility and the Rondons to address mid-season.

article says tampa wants one top and one mid level prospect.  Something like Tropeano and Yarborough. 

no thank you. 

Not for one year of the guy, and extending a 34yo would be a bad idea.

And Shields also costs you a first round pick and draft slot money. 

Stick to the plan.  Keep the young talent unless there is a huge hole to fill at the deadline.