• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels going after Zobrist and Shields

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR 4m4 minutes ago

Some interest, but probably price to steep. RT @the_fast_LAN3: any truth to #Angels being linked with zobrist??

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR 7m7 minutes ago

#Angels GM Jerry Dipoto said he still has not talked to any FAs (besides Beckham), in case you still had Scherzer/Shields thoughts.

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR 4m4 minutes ago

Some interest, but probably price to steep. RT @the_fast_LAN3: any truth to #Angels being linked with zobrist??

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR 7m7 minutes ago

#Angels GM Jerry Dipoto said he still has not talked to any FAs (besides Beckham), in case you still had Scherzer/Shields thoughts.

Of course he hasn't talked to any free agents. He talks to their agents.

I don't believe for a second that he hasn't at least checked in with these guys. He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least inquire.

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2015 at 5:17 PM, ScottyA_MWAH said:

I feel like everyone is stretching my enthusiasm a bit for Cron and Santiago, and perhaps that's my fault for not being more clear.

1. Santiago is a proven above average major league starter ~ Yeah, I stand by that. I mean how often are you able to find LHP's making close to the league minimum, in their 20's that have a low-90's fastball, plus off-speed pitch and that's posted three consecutive seasons with an ERA under 3.75?

Why on earth do you want to trade THAT for one year of Zobrist, who good as he may be, couldn't possibly equate Santiago's futurre value in one season, or that of the prospects you could get if you did trade Santiago.

2. Cron is a future middle of the order hitter ~ Yeah, I believe it. Folks seem really down on him because the Angels went out and got Joyce to DH against RHP. Keep in mind, Cron never got a full year in AAA and wouldn't be hurt by it this year if it happens. This was C.J.'s first taste of pro ball and it seems pretty clear he's more than capable of hitting .270 with 25-30 HR's in the near future.

I won't deny his OBP will likely suck, and that he probably won't be much more than the equal of Trumbo's value. But last time I checked, despite Trumbo's shortcomings he was a middle of the order hitter, and he got us both Skaggs and Santiago in a trade.

If three years of Trumbo gets six years of Skaggs and four years of Santiago, why on Earth would you give away SIX years of Cron for only one of Zobrist? That's a terrible move. It just makes no sense, especially when viewed within the larger scope of the moves this team has made to shore up second base. I think folks need to give Green and Featherston a chance before making a panic move like Santiago and Cron for Zobrist.

I'd trade one of Cron and Santiago, if it were 3 years of Zobrist at a reasonable price. But it isn't. No way do I make that deal.

I love you scotty, but I had to bump this.

On 1/4/2015 at 11:22 AM, Stradling said:

As far as the "one year rental" it depends on the cost. Also, it is partially up to the Angels if it would only be a one year rental. If they want the guy back they could re-sign him. If we could get him and not give up Heaney or Newcombe, then I think you look long and hard at him. Would you give up Hector Santiago for him? I certainly would consider it. He is a very good offensive 2nd baseman that deepens a line up, and would be the perfect #2 hitter in our line up.

Newcomb? we lost him in the Simmons trade.