• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels going after Zobrist and Shields

I'd pass on Shields no matter what the cost. Tropeano and Heaney have nothing left to prove in the minors. I really wanna see these two occupy the 4th and 5th spot in the rotation.

That's exactly what I don't want to see. I would let ST decide our 5 th starter. It might not be either one of them .

It's very important the team gets off to a good start next season.

article says tampa wants one top and one mid level prospect.  Something like Tropeano and Yarborough. 

no thank you. 

Not for one year of the guy, and extending a 34yo would be a bad idea.

And Shields also costs you a first round pick and draft slot money. 

Stick to the plan.  Keep the young talent unless there is a huge hole to fill at the deadline. 

This. Keep the young cost controlled arms.

article says tampa wants one top and one mid level prospect.  Something like Tropeano and Yarborough. 

no thank you. 

Not for one year of the guy, and extending a 34yo would be a bad idea.

And Shields also costs you a first round pick and draft slot money. 

Stick to the plan.  Keep the young talent unless there is a huge hole to fill at the deadline. 

Amen brother.

Actually if you think about it further we do have some attractive pieces from the Rays point of view.

C.J. Cron has right-handed power that they could platoon at 1B with Loney or at DH with Dejesus (assuming they don't trade the latter). We'd need to give them a controllable pitcher too. Others suggested Santiago and that might be of interest to the Rays. Add in another OF prospect or pitching prospect and they might bite.

Then again he is an unneeded piece (Zobrist) but he'd certainly be worth it if that is the cost since the Angels are built to win already and having someone like him could push us over and above our competition.

Funny that the overall article (the parts not mentioning shields / zobrist) says that the shift has hurt guys like david ortiz, so restrictions should be placed on using it.

Keep it non biased boston globe.....

I hate the BS about adding rules to combat natural changes in the game. Hitters will adjust eventually.

On what planet is Zobrist "overrated"? He has flown under the radar for years now and has averaged 5 WAR a season.

He seems to derive a huge portion of his value from defensive stats, which I just don't trust. Offensively, he is solid but unspectacular.

Superfandom gets taken to a whole new level when negative posts are complained about 6 months before they are made, if ever.

You obviously haven't read AO referring to him ALREADY as "Not Big Game" James at the prospect of the Angels signing him. As far as the Superfandom comment, you're a joke, tell us again about how 911 was a conspiracy, I haven't had a good laugh, also I like when TD says sheeple.

I honestly can't believe fans would trade 4 inexpensive years of Santiago, a proven above average MLB starter, and 5 inexpensive years of C.J. Cron, the future fixture in the middle of the Angels lineup, all for one year of Ben Zobrist.

That's how teams end up like the Yankees, an aged roster with an ever-climbing payroll and no help on the way. 

I honestly can't believe fans would trade 4 inexpensive years of Santiago, a proven above average MLB starter, and 5 inexpensive years of C.J. Cron, the future fixture in the middle of the Angels lineup, all for one year of Ben Zobrist.

That's how teams end up like the Yankees, an aged roster with an ever-climbing payroll and no help on the way. 

I think you are overvaluing Cron and Santiago.

Would probably make that deal for 1 year of Ben Zobrist and a possible 1st round pick when he becomes a free agent.

I'm usually someone who favors keeping the younger cost controlled players over the older guys, but I'm just not sold on santiago and cron.

The Angels are basically going to get nothing out of 2nd base this year. Can probably expect a .220-.250 average and .280 OBP.

Zobrist would solidify the lineup immensely with his ability to get on base. 

Edited by Poozy

He seems to derive a huge portion of his value from defensive stats, which I just don't trust. Offensively, he is solid but unspectacular.

While this is true, his defensive value is very high, something the Angels shouldn't be overlooking.

As for offense, he has a career 117 OPS+. For comparison, Howie is 108, Pedroia is 115, Kinsler is 109.

Angels interest here may be legit.

If we had to open the season today -- Jason Rutledge would probably be our starting 2B/  Grant Green would be another option.

Giavotella and Featherson will try for a depth MIF spot by their ST performances.

And Angels may try to sign Beckham again if a deal for Zorbist doesn't happen.