• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jepsen traded to TB for Matt Joyce

nate

Why so much Grant Green luv around here? I don't get it. Hope he proves me wrong.

What don't you get?

Grant Green has a .309/.357/.473 slash line in the minors, has Howie Kendrick type pop, will club a lot of doubles. 

Hit over .270 in both of his cups of coffeew with the Angels in 2013 & 2014.

He's athletic and while he's not Kendrick defensively, he's not that bad. Looked good on a few double plays I've seen and going to his right to snatch a ball up the middle, planted and threw a bullet to first base ala HK. Seen him make a few diving plays in the infield as well. 

Seriously, I don't understand what's not to like. He's going to get his first real chance to be a fulltiime starter. Let's see how he does, but he's definitely earned the job.

He's not a proven vet. That's really the only reason.

His defense is poor as hell but it's not like he can't improve with regular playing time. I remember Howie looking pretty weak with the glove in his first couple years. Granted, he didn't look as bad as Green does, but no one expects Green to be a good defensive player. But there's no reason he can't become an average one, and with his offensive potential that would make him a pretty valuable player.

What don't you get?

Grant Green has a .309/.357/.473 slash line in the minors, has Howie Kendrick type pop, will club a lot of doubles. 

Hit over .270 in both of his cups of coffeew with the Angels in 2013 & 2014.

He's athletic and while he's not Kendrick defensively, he's not that bad. Looked good on a few double plays I've seen and going to his right to snatch a ball up the middle, planted and threw a bullet to first base ala HK. Seen him make a few diving plays in the infield as well. 

Seriously, I don't understand what's not to like. He's going to get his first real chance to be a fulltiime starter. Let's see how he does, but he's definitely earned the job.

I guess I have a hard time just due to the actions of the team.  I would think if they really believed in Green then you wouldn't have seen them go after two other 2B.  One even by trade in which we have up a pretty nasty reliever for. 

Because Joyce gets on base at a really good clip. We have a better chance at scoring more runs of Trout is up in RBI situations.

Not a good enough clip to make up for Trout getting fewer plate appearances. Plus it pushes Trout further away in the lineup from Ianetta so he won't get to hit with Ianetta on base.

I guess I have a hard time just due to the actions of the team.  I would think if they really believed in Green then you wouldn't have seen them go after two other 2B.  One even by trade in which we have up a pretty nasty reliever for. 

We needed a MI to play SS and to backup 2B since we lost John McDonald, which is why we also acquired Rutledge. 

Competition is good too. If Green doesn't produce and Rutledge does, that's a good thing. 

Anyhow, if we get .260/.325/.420 out of our 2B position this year, we'll be good. 

Kendrick hit just 7 HR and 33 doubles in 2014. I'm betting our 2B's equal or best that this year, sacrificing some BA/OBP and a little defense. 

A lot of defense.  Again, the question was about Green and from I have heard and from what Fletcher has posted, Green isn't considered the favorite going into spring training. 

I was told Green and Rutledge will battle it out for the starting 2B job. I think Green will win it. 

The org likes Green and feel he's capable of a full time gig, so I'm thinking he has to be the favorite. Based on overall talent, I give the edge to Green, but we'll see. 

Lineup vs. Righties:

RF Calhoun

DH Joyce

CF Trout

1B Pujols

LF Hamilton

3B Freese

SS Aybar

C Iannetta

2B Green/Rutledge

Lineup vs. Lefties:

RF Calhoun

C Iannetta

CF Trout

1B Pujols

DH Cron

3B Freese

LF Hamilton

SS Aybar

2B Green/Rutledge

I don't like the lineup versus lefties. Iannetta shouldn't bat in front of Trout. I'd think Beckham (I still think they are going to resign him) or Rutledge or Aybar is there against lefties.

Even though he would be 1 to 1.5 seasons down the road, how does Sherman Johnson factor into the future at 2B or 3B?

He has played well at each of the 3 levels on the farm through high-A, after a college career at Florida State.    Yes, he was 24 the latter half of 2014. 

I would like to see if he can be accelerated in 2015 through AA and AAA.

I don't see the offensive potential. He had a nice start offensively last season but fizzled out as the pitching caught up to him. Bad OBP and no real power. He is no spring chicken age wise.

Hope I'm wrong

He was batting .313/.321/.400 before going on the DL with a back problem in July and only had 1 game with more than 2 ABs for the rest of the year. He can hit MLB pitching just needs the consistent playing time. Needs to improve the OBP but im hoping the Spring training competition bring the best out in him.

I think Rutledge is a lock at second base next season unless they sign Beckham. If that happens then it's between those two ... then my guess is that Green doesn't make the 25 man roster.

I've been wrong before.

If any of the two is a lock, it's Green, but they will battle it out in ST. Green will make the team regardless because he can play LF, CF, SS, 2B and 3B in a pinch.

If any of the two is a lock, it's Green, but they will battle it out in ST. Green will make the team regardless because he can play LF, CF, SS, 2B and 3B in a pinch.

Rutledge can play 2B, SS, and 3B. Matt Joyce can play OF.

Besides, Rutledge is listed on the Angels website as starter.

I'm not a Green hater ... I wish him well.

Rutledge can play 2B, SS, and 3B. Matt Joyce can play OF.

Besides, Rutledge is listed on the Angels website as starter.

I'm not a Green hater ... I wish him well.

Rutledge cannot play 3B.

Scioscia and Dipoto dictate the lineups, not a writer from MLB.com.

Rutledge cannot play 3B.

Scioscia and Dipoto dictate the lineups, not a writer from MLB.com.

Interesting that you mentioned Dipoto's name regarding lineups. Maybe now some of the young guns here won't just blame Scioscia for the lineups.

Btw what writer from MLB? Rutledge is just a better all around defender than Green. With a name like Josh ... how can you not like him. Lol

Edited by Troll Daddy