• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Price to the Tigers

Smyly will be good and is cheap...teams are always lookin for good, cheap starters

but I agree, Cubs landed a top 10 prospect for Samardzija(who is not in Price's tier). Felt the Rays should have landed a bit more in return

Angels could have offered 2 of 3 from Skaggs, Shoemaker, Santiago plus Grant Green.

Many of the teams with solid farm systems (Red Sox, Twins, Cubs, Rangers) aren't in contention so it wouldn't have made sense for those teams to go after Price. This is a decent return for Price. People act like Smyly is chopped liver. 

Anyway, I'd still take the A's pitching staff in the playoffs. The Tigers' bullpen is a dumpster. 

I don't know about Smyly. Just looking at his stats. Year 1, 1.27 WHIP, 3.09 ERA mainly a starter. Year 2, 1.04/2.37 mainly as a reliever. year 3 so far, 1.31/3.77 ERA mainly as a starter.

They are good numbers, WHIP is concerning as a starter, and he might be a better reliever.

So it's more like Green and Santiago for Price. And I'd do that.

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think Santiago has the upside of Smyly. Also with Franklin, I am assuming the Rays love his defense.

And the Tigers #3 prospect, all under team control for a long time.  

Pretty good tradeoff for a year of Price when you have no intention of trying to extend him.  Better than they would've gotten if they had waited until the season was over.  

I just assume people are kidding when they talk like the Rays got ****ed or something. 

I think people want to pretend the Angels could have made a similar offer using guys like Shoemaker and Greene.

Not really sold on Austin Jackson.  Price more likely to re-sign than Scherzer, so this is insurance for beyond 2014.  Smyly is OK, but not the ace Price is.

Mariners won't be any better with Jackson.

AL favorite

1. Tigers

2. A's

3. Angels

Only three teams with a shot to make the WS from the AL.

Not impossible for the Angels.  Win the division, have the A's lose the one-game playoff then beat the Tigers in 7 games.  It can be done without going through that gauntlet of back to back 7 game series against the A's and Tigers.

But they need to win the division.

Many of the teams with solid farm systems (Red Sox, Twins, Cubs, Rangers) aren't in contention so it wouldn't have made sense for those teams to go after Price. This is a decent return for Price. People act like Smyly is chopped liver. 

Anyway, I'd still take the A's pitching staff in the playoffs. The Tigers' bullpen is a dumpster. 

Their pen is a big question mark, and was a little iffy against the Halos last week (6.1 innings, 9 hits, 2 BBs, 3 runs, although 8 Ks).

Chamberlain and Albuquerque have been pretty solid so far as set up men, and Hardy seems to have some potential, but Soria has crapped the couch so far for them. 

One thing to note: Nathan is starting to get it going again, ironic coming on the heels of the Soria trade.

Eight of Nathan's past 9 innings have been scoreless.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Not really sold on Austin Jackson.  Price more likely to re-sign than Scherzer, so this is insurance for beyond 2014.  Smyly is OK, but not the ace Price is.

Mariners won't be any better with Jackson.

AL favorite

1. Tigers

2. A's

3. Angels

Only three teams with a shot to make the WS from the AL.

Not impossible for the Angels.  Win the division, have the A's lose the one-game playoff then beat the Tigers in 7 games.  It can be done without going through that gauntlet of back to back 7 game series against the A's and Tigers.

But they need to win the division.

Agreed, and the O's have good defense and a balanced pitching staff.   But they don't have any workhorses in the rotation who you can truly count on in October.

I still think the Halos are better than Detroit. Detroit has the better rotation by far, but they had the better rotation before they landed Price

the equalizer is the Angels deep bullpen. The Tigers pen is terrible, and the addition of Soria has not fixed that(he's been terrible for them). Angels also have a better offense than Detroit

Oakland is still the top team in the AL. I don't see a weakness with them that stands out. Deep rotation, great bullpen, elite offense, and good team defense.

I don't get why so many are afraid of the Tigers now. We've done fairly well against them this year and we've already best David Price. Tigers fans are scared of the Angels and I don't think David Price makes them feel all that much better of having to play us.