• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Scott Kazmir living proof, Butcher is worthless ?

You also have the case of Fernando Rodney, who even specifically blamed Butcher in the media for forcing him to change his pitching mechanics in unnatural ways. Has an unblelievably good 2012, but even after "returning to earth" he is still significantly better than he was with the Angels. 

I never read/heard about that, but I will take your word for it.  I still have never understood the Rodney argument though because he came to the Angels with a career 4.28 ERA as a relief pitcher.  Its not like he was this great pitcher beforehand and then Butcher ruined him.  I don't blame Butcher for trying to change his mechanics because whatever he was doing with the Tigers certainly wasn't working.

Butcher is a very traditional pitching coach who regurgitates the same tired cliches as the ones his coaches probably taught him. Because of this, he was unable to help a guy like Kazmir, who I'd bet good money, butch never liked his "violent" mechanics anyway. Then problems start, and it becomes a good way to start changing the stuff he doesn't like. Then kazmir gradually gets worse.

Not a surprise at all that kaz had to go outside the mlb inner circle to a more cutting edge guy like Ron Wolforth to get himself back on track. Butcher was completely useless to him.

How would you know literally any of this?

I may hate Butcher and Sosh the most of anyone here but even ill say Kazmir was a horrible trade. At the time I believe he was just a stoner who got his paycheck and laid out by the pool for a while. No coaching woulda fixed that lazy asses pitching. No fault of Butcher for him sku'ing with us.

True.

I know someone that works for the team that said Kazmir is the biggest stoner they have ever seen...not sure if he meant for baseball standards or just in general.

Granted, I doubt he gave up pot and started pitching well, but he was smoking a lot of weed here.

• 11 months later...

The Angels coaching staff at the top level could be better. Scioscia veteran preference and personnel decisions are outdated, counterproductive and at times just plain idiotic. Gary DiSarcina, he might be the worst 3B coach in history. Butcher, well a lot pitchers seem to go on to more success after they leave his services. Baylor, he's cool.