• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thatcher to Angels

Not sure if I really like this deal.  Thatcher seems like a guy that can be really good and really bad, we have had plenty of those guys over the years.  Would have probably preferred dealing the same prospects for a better reliever.  

But im not the gm and I dont know whats out there.  Ill reserve judgement on this until we see how he performs.  Would still like to deal for a legitimate closer so we can make the bullpen a strength.  

i've seen joe thatcher pitch for years with the padres he was anything but up and down. in fact he's consistently good against both lefties and righties. he's a welcome addition to the angels bullpen.

DMVol, on 05 Jul 2014 - 8:33 PM, said:

Agreed...Keep things open with SD and others but I wouldn't make a Greinke deal for Street or Benoit...if it's not reasonable, go with what we have..

Lou: ummmm, huh?

Greinke trade: Give up top prospects for rental...sometimes it works, often times not....Wouldn't do it for Street....

Umh, get it?

Sure we could. They'd ask for trout.

Realistically though, the A's are extremely weak up the middle at 2B & SS with no immediate help in their prospect pipeline. I don't necessarily see a blockbuster intra-division trade happening, but the two teams do appear to have complementary needs.

Street has a $7M club option for next year. No Grenkie offer, but I'm guessing Dipoto is checking in, and could always do a Bean- get him for this year, pick up the option and trade him next year if an in-house option seems preferable.

Street has a $7M club option for next year. No Grenkie offer, but I'm guessing Dipoto is checking in, and could always do a Bean- get him for this year, pick up the option and trade him next year if an in-house option seems preferable.

Didn't know Street had an option and that makes some difference....But I think the original point (by Inside Pitch) was that we might have enough pieces in the pen w/out Street or Benoit....my point was I'd keep talking to San Diego but I wouldn't make a Greinke type deal for Street...don't think we're quite that desperate with the Grilli and Thatcher deals...

to save me the drudgery of reading all 14 pages, can someone recap the trade for me? thanks.

Angels traded OF Zach Borenstein and RHP Joey Krehbiel for LH reliever Joe Thatcher and OF Tony Campana(who is headed to Salt Lake).

Angels GM Jerry Dipoto expects to be done making trades this season, he said.

So we're definitely making another trade then.

there's a few interesting associations to consider here. one, is that jerry has a history of telling the truth. two, is that jerry has a history of being incredibly, and successfully, secretive on trades. three, and most importanly, is that if this is true, then that means scioscia has accepted smith has his closer.

Another lockdown bullpen arm would be great, but this pen is starting to round into form

Smith

Grilli

Jepsen

Morin

Thatcher

Rasmus or Salas

Bedrosian, Jairo Diaz, RJ Alvarez as minor league depth

If they added another arm, this pen will be incredibly deep

My only concern now is how do the young arms hold up as the season goes on? Skaggs and Richards are going to be accumulating innings they aren't used to. Will they be able to stay effective down the stretch.

I can't see them trading for a starter....but who knows.

Regarding Thatcher, I liked reading this

Dipoto said the Angels liked Thatcher's ability to throw strikes, limit walks and strand inherited runners. Thatcher has issued just three walks all season, thrown 72.4 percent of his pitches for strikes and allowed only eight of 37 inherited runners to score.

Sounds like a breathe of fresh air from what we've been used to seeing over the last few years

Edited by bloodbrother