• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thatcher to Angels

Another lockdown bullpen arm would be great, but this pen is starting to round into form

Smith

Grilli

Jepsen

Morin

Thatcher

Rasmus or Salas

Bedrosian, Jairo Diaz, RJ Alvarez as minor league depth

If they added another arm, this pen will be incredibly deep

My only concern now is how do the young arms hold up as the season goes on? Skaggs and Richards are going to be accumulating innings they aren't used to. Will they be able to stay effective down the stretch.

I can't see them trading for a starter....but who knows.

Regarding Thatcher, I liked reading this

Sounds like a breathe of fresh air from what we've been used to seeing over the last few years

keep the six man rotation going.  Skaggs got a nice break.  Shoemaker will be fine.  Santiago will never pitch deep enough into games for us to worry about it.  

Richards is the guy that we need to limit.  Never been over 150 and he's on pace for over 200.  He's the most important for the playoffs as well.  

I think we are in a much better position beyond our top six than we were last year.  

What happened to Jose Alvarez btw?

"Well, Pedro,of course we're going to make more trades. We need a legitimate closer. We really don't have one right now. I mean, Smith is ok but everyone knows he's not a REAL closer. And price is no concern. I really hope we can get a good deal at the deadline. Thanks for asking"

Smith has been the best move the Angels have made in a while. Grilli doesn't look shaky. Thatcher gives us a key arm in the pen. Roth looks like a completely different (better) pitcher this time around. Morin is growing into a featured late inning role. At some point it's likely we'll see Bedrock and Alvarez on this team.

As far as I'm concerned, Dipoto's growing this bullpen the right way.

I can understand the hesitancy to trade anyone else, being that the bullpen has been improved already and we're already thin. That said, we're really close....really close this year. Oakland rightfully is the favorite, but ill take our chances against them and especially anyone else we may meet in october.

So I would hate to suffer a setback of any type (injury, someone having a poor second half) and sputter down the stretch rather than flipping a non vital minor leaguer for another solid bullpen arm (assuming its in our budget). I really like the idea of a shut down bullpen that can support a good SP with a great offense....very 2002'ish.

Im also starting to warm to the idea of trading for another starter. Dont know whos available (besides price, but...not at his..'price'(dr evil voice). But if we can move someone for another mid rotation arm to solidify our depth, you have to really consider it.

Like a lot of you, im hesistsnt to trade from our thin system. Im also generally against trading for rentals. That said, im a real believer in this team. Like I said, if we get there and get beat by a better team, it is what it is. But I really dont want to see us miss the show because we held on to someone who wont help us the next year or 2 when we could have grabbed a good insurance piece for this year.

My 2 cents

So that said IP, would you stand pat at this point, or still target a street type?

Street seems like a luxury this team can't afford to get without giving up a valuable piece of it's future, unless of course the Padres would be willing to take someone like JB Shuck, or a Santiago....  another possibility is trading international slot money to try to acquire a player.   Benoit might be easier to get, there is no telling what the Padres might be wanting to do with Manaya and company in charge.  

I don't know that standing pat is the best course of action, but they do have some time left before the deadline so, I don't really think they need to be rushing to make a move.   Adding Grilli and Thatcher and having them do well the next couple of weeks likely would benefit the Angels bargaining position.  If Roth can serve as a strong long man, and Jepsen keeps from going Jeppy mode, it's hard to argue the pen isn't looking a lot stouter than it was even last week.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Street has a $7M club option for next year. No Grenkie offer, but I'm guessing Dipoto is checking in, and could always do a Bean- get him for this year, pick up the option and trade him next year if an in-house option seems preferable.

Street really is the most attractive option available.  He's got another year, he's got the track record, he's got the closer label, he's still very young..  But all of those things also up his asking price.  Still, Minaya could go Minaya and we could benefit.

couldn't find anywhere warmer to vacation?

too much of a sea breeze in death valley or else he'd go there.

i'll be in palm desert this week, and hoping the marine layer pays us an extended visit.

Margaret Thatcher should be a good addition to the pen. If we can pick up Merkel or maybe Hillary Clinton we'll be all set.

Merkel is better behind the plate than on the mound. I heard Christine Lagarde is available to pitch though.