• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Skaggs' two-seam fastball

Chuck

Skaggs unveiled a sinking two-seam fastball, which played a huge part in his success against Houston.

"That's what you have to do -- you have to keep your secret weapon in your back pocket," Skaggs said, per The Los Angeles Times. "I don't think any of the teams knew that. I don't even think the Angels knew I had one, honestly."

Skaggs said he threw his two-seamer "90 percent of the time" Saturday, as he set up his curveball and changeup.

"That's why you see all those 90- and 91-mph [fastballs] instead of 93 and 94," Skaggs said. "They kept swinging at it, so why not get outs early in the count and throw some two-seamers? I threw it in the bullpen and it was good. It turned out to be a plus pitch for me today."

Good to hear him adding to his arsenal. It's a constant game of adjustments. When hitters adjust to the 2 seamer, he can dial up the 4 seam some more or toss in some more changeups(he has a pretty good one)

His curve though...

iXOSirC8M7uPI.gif

love, love this trade they made this past offseason

Edited by bloodbrother

Having a good two seam is a huge pitch to have against righties. Having a pitch that runs away from them rather than running in on them make a big difference.

I think he'll mix up his gameplan from time to time too. I'm sure next game he'll throw more 4 seams and less 2 seams to keep the hitters guessing.

That is awesome but also a concern. Once teams have video of it as part of their scouting, hitters may adjust. Hopefully not because he was by far the best part of the first week of games.

Of course they will adjust. Baseball is all about making adjustments. It's just good that he has another pitch to throw at batters.

Skaggs unveiled a sinking two-seam fastball, which played a huge part in his success against Houston.

"That's what you have to do -- you have to keep your secret weapon in your back pocket," Skaggs said, per The Los Angeles Times. "I don't think any of the teams knew that. I don't even think the Angels knew I had one, honestly."

Skaggs said he threw his two-seamer "90 percent of the time" Saturday, as he set up his curveball and changeup.

"That's why you see all those 90- and 91-mph [fastballs] instead of 93 and 94," Skaggs said. "They kept swinging at it, so why not get outs early in the count and throw some two-seamers? I threw it in the bullpen and it was good. It turned out to be a plus pitch for me today."

I saw him working on this in Phoenix. He really get a good sinking action with it, to the point I had mentioned it in a post a couple of weeks ago thinking it was a true sinker. If he feels confident with it, watch out!