• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade Romine to Detroit for LHP Jose Alvarez

Richard

think he'll start the season with the team?

I think so. Moran our rule-5 pickup is hurt and will most likely begin the season on the DL. 

It could come between Maronde or him. Either way, if he goes to AAA we have him and Shoemaker 1-2 behind our starting 5, assuming Blanton is traded. 

Shoemaker #7. I'm loving our depth. 

I think this spells the end for Blanton. 

I'm not loving our depth, but this certainly adds to it.

You really think this impacts Blanton at all?   Blanton/Shoemaker/Alvarez > Shoemaker/Leblanc/Grube.

Either way it's a great, great, move.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I did not see this move coming. Very good deal. The Angels now have 2 solid young pitchers to fill the depth role.

If the Angels trade Blanton it would be nice to get a mediocre journeyman to take his place. Even if he isn't traded he would basically be 8th on the depth chart which isn't bad.

This is an absolute steal if Alvarez is an Jerome Williams type #6 pitcher. I don't know anything about him but most of what you guys are saying he is even better than Jerome.

His cup of coffee with the Tigers last year was a bit shaky, but this is the line he put up in triple-A to earn the callup:  128.2 IP, 2.8 ERA, 1.080 WHIP, 4.6 K/BB. 

Good move. Depth, young starter with upside, and could potentially be a left handed bullpen option to start the season.

Yes and considering that Moran, the Rule V pick, is having "elbow" problems I see a DL stash by the Angels and running Alvarez out as the reliever. If we encounter any early rotation problems, Alvarez moves into the rotation and suddenly we hear good news about Moran's arm maybe?

Like the move a lot! I liked Romine and wanted to see him play defensively but getting a young starter for him is a great "get"!

Really nice pick up here.  Don't remember the guy but the halos faced him last year in late June.  Trout and Aybar went deep. 

This guy has a really odd bio and it's hard to figure out. 

He was traded from Bos to the Marlins in 2009 for jeremy hermedia

Found some info that he had labrum surgery in Mar 2012 by James Andrews and was supposed to be out for the season, but was pitching again in early April. 

Maybe Jeff Fletcher can find out more about his previous surgery. 

Then he was let go by the Marlins and signed with Det as a minor league FA.  Not sure why he was let go. 

So it appears he was building arm strength in 2012 after having surgery and then had his best season in the minors in 2013.

This guy could be a real steal.  A young Vargas or Saunders type perhaps.  Great depth and only 25 (turn 25 in may)

According to Fangraphs, his fastball sits from 88-92 with a avg of 90.  Secondary pitches are mostly changeup and slider with the occasional curve.  So he seems like the 'crafty' type but gets a lot of swing and miss with the change.  His peripherals at AAA last year were excellent and the Toledo park is only slightly a pitchers park. 

Nice job here.  Nice job.