• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade Romine to Detroit for LHP Jose Alvarez

Richard

Mcdonald's defense is simply amazing. This made Romine more than expendable. I remember watching Alvarez pitch in the postseason and dominating against the A's. Looks like a solid deal. 

Yep, he went three innings and gave up no hits, walked one and struck out three. 

Deeeeeepth, I figured Jerry was waiting out the market to make another move and this is a verrry good move. I'd still like to see them make a claim for another pitcher (Vance Worley was placed on waivers yesterday), get Burnett, Moran, and DDLR healthy and we're ready for the season!

Worley FTW, and not just because he's a LB St. alum, plus he would then make Blanton #9 starter.

I likey!

Deeeeeepth, I figured Jerry was waiting out the market to make another move and this is a verrry good move. I'd still like to see them make a claim for another pitcher (Vance Worley was placed on waivers yesterday), get Burnett, Moran, and DDLR healthy and we're ready for the season!

Worley may be done -- 27 runners allowed in 10.2 innings after truly horrible season last year.  He allowed 97 baserunners in under 50 innings last year.

Edited by Inside Pitch

excellent trade. i liked romine more than mcdonald as a long term hold, but not at the expense of acquiring a good/decent young pitcher.

this trade really breaks down for the angels as mcdonald/alvarez for romine, because there was no way mcdonald was accepting a AAA assignment.

the angels got deeper with starting pitching and he's left handed, and our defense got better in late inning replacement or in case of injury.

Edited by ukyah

i wonder how much Cano and Fielder coming to the AL West has influenced Jerry going after so many LHP.

Probably some. Dipoto was also a southpaw, so he might have an affinity.

also, lhp have inherently more value than an equal rhp. the more you have the better.

This move guarantees Green makes the team.  Still not sure if they go with McDonald for the other infield spot or go with a legitimate backup for 1B.  I know both Calhoun and Ibanez have seen a little time at 1B in the later innings this past week, so they might be leaning McDonald after all.  I still think Pena might have a shot though.

This trade is almost too good to be true.  Makes me wonder if the Tigers aren't telling the Angels something about Alvarez.

Should I be concerned that his fastball looks like it tops out at 91-92? He could be a lefty version of Weaver, which isn't all bad. But the lack of velocity at 24 is concerning.

Nope. Not everyone is a hard thrower. As long as he regularly sits around 89-90 it isn't a problem. Velocity is overrated. If you have good command you can have success.

Should I be concerned that his fastball looks like it tops out at 91-92? He could be a lefty version of Weaver, which isn't all bad. But the lack of velocity at 24 is concerning.

Weaver's avg FA velo was 86.8 last year. 

It doesn't appear that he's ever been much of a velocity guy.  Sure it helps, but it's certainly not critical.