• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade Romine to Detroit for LHP Jose Alvarez

Richard

Great trade! It was getting more clear that Romine wasn't going to make this team. He was definitely expendable and as much as I wanted to see him do well, the bat wasn't going to translate here. 

Alvarez has the upside of a #5/swingman guy which is totally fine. This was a great job by Dipoto to capitalize on another team's need and get something better back. 

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/triple-a-2013-best-tools/

Baseball America rated Jose Alvarez as having the best change up and the best command in the International League (AAA) last year. 

Both of which are huge if a left handed starting pitcher wants to have success in the majors. 

I think I read he was also the Tigers minor league pitcher of the year last season.

How many innings does anyone think he can go?  Half of our starting rotation won't have the stamina to go all season.  

Late in the season, if it looks like they are getting tired AND it looks like post-season is going to happen..

Dipoto will pull off a couple more awesome trades.

Oh ye of little faith..be unconcerned.

I think I read he was also the Tigers minor league pitcher of the year last season.

I read it also on ESPN.

Alvarez split last season between Detroit and Triple-A Toledo. He was 8-6 with a 2.80 ERA for the Mud Hens and named Tigers minor league pitcher of the year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10647525/detroit-tigers-acquire-andrew-romine-los-angeles-angels

Should I be concerned that his fastball looks like it tops out at 91-92? He could be a lefty version of Weaver, which isn't all bad. But the lack of velocity at 24 is concerning.

His fastball velocity is a little low but in that video his change up was around 76 mph or so.  That's a 14 mph difference which is very good.  its just going to come down to whether or not he mixes up his pitches properly to be effective.

the trade is pretty good but i wish it was aybar instead.

His fastball velocity is a little low but in that video his change up was around 76 mph or so.  That's a 14 mph difference which is very good.  its just going to come down to whether or not he mixes up his pitches properly to be effective.

His Fastball is slightly above major league average which is great, especially when you have a good changeup that is some 25 MPH slower and a good slider which is 5-6 MPH slower with a break. 

This looks like a solid move for us.

Worst case scenario: We gave up an up and down utility player that was out of options for some versatile pitching depth at AAA.

Best case scenario: We gave up that same utility guy for a a good major league pitcher.

We pretty much come out ahead either way, unless Andrew Romine suddenly becomes Michael Young.

Edited by Don Tomlinson

I wonder if Det actually called about Aybar and ended up with Romine.  Anyway.

It would be pretty unusual for a 24yo to have that good of a year in AAA and not be able to provide capable production at the major league level.  Plenty of LHers have success at the major league level without throwing hard.  His AAA peripherals corroborate that he's got good command and an out pitch.  If this guy even spends 2-3 years in the rotation as a 4/5, it's probably a huge win for the Halos. 

Ran into a local former high school baseball coach this morning who watches the game closely and now that he is retired, lives half the year (the good weather months) in Michigan and follows the Tigers.

He thought the Angels got the better of the deal and that Alvarez could easily be a major league starter for several teams and could fill a rotation spot for the Angels if the need arose.

Kudos to DiPoto for closing this deal quickly while Detroit MIF situation is unsettled due to injuries......

This is a trade that may work out well for both clubs and both players -- Angels need pitching and Alvarez could be in the rotation within two months time........Detroit's SS went down so they get Romine who can clearly handle things with glove -- and he will get MORE playing time to show the Tigers (and the Angels) that he can hit big league pitching at an acceptable level........

Some folks suggest Romine hasn't received adequate playing time to show what he can do ------now he may well get that time.........we'll see if the hitting results inch upwards........... 

Romine has a defined role with the Tigers. I think he's plenty capable of filling the role and they'll be satisfied with their end of the trade. For us to add another pitcher with options is a coup. They can now mix and match the last two rotation spots until someone claims them.