• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So WTH really happened to this Malaysian aircraft??

if i have a gun and you don't, and i've taken over your plane and caused a tremendous amount of fear and panic, i doubt you'd put up much of a fight in surrendering your phone when i get to your row.

Everybody else would just sit tight and let them go seat to seat and collect phones?  There's really no benefit to doing this anyway with so little chance of cell coverage. 

"It's possible that the aircraft had hugged the terrain in some areas, that are mountainous to avoid radar detection."

This technique is called terrain masking and is used by military pilots to fly to their targets stealthily, using the topography to mask their approach from prying microwaves. This type of flying is considered very dangerous, especially in low-light conditions and spatial disorientation, and airsickness could easily set in. The stresses and loads it puts on the airframe, especially an airliner of the 777's size, are tremendous.

"While the ongoing search is divided into two massive areas, the data that the investigating team is collating is leading us more towards the north," sources said.

Read more: 'Plane flew low to avoid radar' - General - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general/plane-flew-low-to-avoid-radar-1.516965#ixzz2wCPi2fR5

New reports are saying that the plane flew as low as 5,000 feet, possibly lower to avoid detection and they're thinking the plane flew North..maybe around India to Pakistan? Kazakhstan? Who the hell knows now...this is getting insane...the longer this goes on, the more I think some radical is in possession of a 777.

As far as the low level flight, its already been mentioned that it eats fuel, but more importantly its a lot harder thanthe news is making it sound (not sure how accurate the low flying part is).

Yes, military planes do it all the time. That said, they have terrain following radar and night vision. Ive done it a few times (helicopter) and its not the easiest thing to do. It is possible that commercial planes have a rudimentary one I guess. And night vision equipment is available for relatively cheap.

But the odds the plane has the radar necessary, the pilot (whoever was in control) has night vision, and the pilot has the skill to do so....

......with the added factor they were flying a not at all agile aircraft, AND defeated several grids of military radar coverage (land based and sea).......would be pretty once in a lifetime.

Anything is possible I guess

If they were flying at 5,000 feet to avoid detection, you can cross Australia, Japan, Korea, upper Russia, and western India off the list. A lot more fuel is burned in denser air at lower altitudes.

yep, and i highly doubt any of those countries wouldnt have caught it.

If it was in fact hijacked, I guess (given the news for now) that its very possible it turned back around and maybe landed in indonesia? It is pretty instable, and there are a ton of extremist groups there.

My afternoon instructor cancelled his sessions so I had time to experiment with fuel. This is a F-15S sim so it's not exact but it gives an idea of the difference altitude makes. I went to several altitudes and held 500 knots ground speed at level flight heading 300.

35,000 feet = 3900 pounds per hour per engine

15.000 feet  = 5600 PPH

5000 feet     = 7000 PPH

I also went to 45,000 to check the cabin pressure and it jump from a comfortable 12,000 at 35k to and less comfy 18,000 and 45k.

I heard a story last week (in regards to a hijacking) that a dozen or so of the passengers on board were electronic surveillance/warfare engineers, as that could be a motive for taking the plane. I haven't heard or seen it anywhere else, so I believe it is just that, a story

It is so much easier to grab them at the terminal and stuff them in a van than take a 777 and make it disappear.

My afternoon instructor cancelled his sessions so I had time to experiment with fuel. This is a F-15S sim so it's not exact but it gives an idea of the difference altitude makes. I went to several altitudes and held 500 knots ground speed at level flight heading 300.

35,000 feet = 3900 pounds per hour per engine

15.000 feet  = 5600 PPH

5000 feet     = 7000 PPH

I also went to 45,000 to check the cabin pressure and it jump from a comfortable 12,000 at 35k to and less comfy 18,000 and 45k.

"captain, i need to use the f-15 simulator this afternoon."

"why's that, private?"

"there's a bunch of people in california that i don't know, and i need to win an internet argument with them."

"permission to come aboard, private."

seriously, it's pretty impressive you jumped into the simulator and did this.