• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We lost this trade

Docwaukee

According to many of the talking heads and pundits.  Apparently we gave up a premier and rare power hitter for for a 26yo #5/6 starter and a prospect who is really not all that well regarded due to his velo drop. 

Personally, I don't think the above is the case yet I found it interesting that when I turned on the tv and radio most were talking about how great of a deal this is for Az. to have a guy to complement Goldy that will hit 40hrs in az. 

Ideally this turns out to be good for both the Angels and Diamondbacks. I like Trumbo and hope he and Bourjos do well.

Best-case scenario:

Trumbo improves his OBP a bit and loves hitting in AZ, hitting .270/.330/.550 with 40 HR.

Tyler Skaggs re-captures his velocity, surprises many and posts a ~3.50 ERA in 20-25 starts in 2014, with better things to come, fulfilling his #2 potential by 2015 or 2016.

Hector Santiago takes one step back (BABIP regression) but one step forward (pitching in Anaheim, plus experience) and solidifies as a #3 starter.

Edited by Angelsjunky

When the Angels were rumored to have Trumbo out there on the trade block, all the experts said was he was a one trick pony.  A power hitter with a low OBP who goes on very long slumps.  The Angels wouldn't be able to get good pitching for him.  Blah..blah...blah.

Now they love Trumbo.  lol

Edited by Jim B

You must be listening to ESPN. A majority of talking heads on MLBTV are favoring the Angels.

interesting that's what you saw.  I was listening to MLB radio in car and flipped on mlbtv when I got home and 6 different guys were going on and on about how great of a deal this was for Az with a couple thinking the halos should have gotten more.

You have to wonder if this could have been a two team deal if Bourjos was still around but that's probably a topic for another thread.

Too many baseball analysts are players, who tend to value the things that get them paid: Home Runs, RBI's, Wins, Saves. They end up sounding like Harold Reynolds and Mitch Williams, who is the reason why I only get MLB network during the season. They don't factor in the economic advantage of having cost controlled pitching or the real value of OBP. 

Funny, I thought you were losing it for a minute Doc, but then I realized that I've only been reading Fangraphs, this board, assorted tweets and considering my unchallenged opinion that this trade is a solid win for the Angels.

Yeah.  I kinda felt the same way when I flipped on mlb to see that the other two teams were considered to be much improved yet the halos benefit may come long term.  Kinda the reason I posted this as I was a bit surprised.  Even on mlb, still a bunch of folks going on about Trumbo's rbi total etc. 

You must be listening to ESPN. A majority of talking heads on MLBTV are favoring the Angels.

Yeah ... I had MLBTV on all day today and didn't hear one person that thought this was a bad deal for the Angels.  In fact, everyone I heard thought we did great.

I have to say it again-- Mitch Williams has said ONE smart thing in all the years he's been doing this for a living-- high heat gets K's. Everything else that comes out of that mans mouth is just terrible. At least Harold Reynolds occasionally says something smart and when he's flailing in an argument against Brian Kenney he looks like he's tried to think about it a little bit. 

Just goes to show how people can overrate a player based on their HR totals. Trumbo's an average player, which has value, but he's average nonetheless. They flipped an average player for 2 cost-controlled lefties, one of them having the stuff to be a #2-3 starter at full potential. Huge win for the Halos

I mean, he's really not that far off from a Garrett Jones type of player, and we just saw him get DFA a few weeks ago

Arizona is one of the few destinations where Trumbo fits perfectly for its home stadium, and I don't trust anything from Colorado. When you have a player that fits a stadium so well, you can a nice return. We would not have got a better offer elsewhere for Trumbo, and lucked out Towers wanted him so badly so he can use his personality to convince the Sox to give up one of their young arms. Boom. 

Credit to Dipoto for finding the match.

Just read a fangraphs article on the teade. They aren't real high on santiago. Anyone who's good with advanced stats and young players have a similar take on him?

Sure. Here's my thoughts: http://angelswinblog.blogspot.com/2013/12/breaking-down-trade-weve-all-been.html. 

"Santiago has decent stats last season, but was a tad lucky last season (..289 BABIP). He's know for throwing a screwball despite the fact that he doesn't throw it often or effectively. He is mainly a fastball/ change up guy, which he throws about 93 and 83 MPH, respectively. As a guy with a control problem (5.1 BB/ 9), he should focus on his Fastball/change up/ curve combination, which give him the most whiffs of all his pitches. (He also throws a cutter, which might be a useful "show-me" pitch  for now and is good enough to develop over the next couple of seasons).  Thinking of him as a solid #4 option is probably best for Angels fans who want to temper expectation. His upside is higher than that, and he might reach it pretty soon with more experience on the mound PLUS a move to a much more pitcher friendly park."

Edited by Greg_Bearringer

I'm concerned with his durability on his smallish frame. He hasn't really pitched enough innings to get a good idea on what his consistency level will be. Immediately he can be used like Alex Torres was used with the Rays and experience similar success. His role will likely be the 4th of 5th starter which will be a great value because I think he's a little bit better than that. His walk total is higher then you'd like, but it's because he such great movement on all of his pitches. 

This trade works for all team realistically.

Chicago isn't close to competing and think Eaton can probably help them long term as a lead off guy and didn't have a need for a back end starter.

Angels will have plenty of offense making Trumbo expendable, and got back 2 starters who are young and cheap, allowing them to sign another starter and replace Trumbo.

Arizona has a glut of speedy outfielders with Pollock and Parra, which made Eaton more expendable. Getting Trumbo gives them the power bat they wanted behind Goldy.

I think it's great that this was a good all around trade but I'm ecstatic that the Angels got 2 pitchers for Trumbo. I never expected this type of return.