• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We lost this trade

Docwaukee

If we could rewind the clock one week and these comments were posted on Angelswin.com, 99% of us would have responded like sharks to blood in an effort to defend Trumbo. Now we read them with smugness. 

• Trumbo is a basically a one-dimensional player. He's definitely not a bad player to have around, but the thing about the Diamondbacks is, they have other options.
  • Mark Reynolds V2.0 in LF
  • He’s [Trumbo] not as worthless as his OBP might suggest, but the fact that it takes him 500 outs to hit 30 home runs means that his overall value is limited

Except about 40-50% of us have been calling for Trumbos head since August and thought he was so one-dimensional that he could not net us anything but a single veteran pitcher 1-2 years away from FA. Still a funny post nonetheless.

Except about 40-50% of us have been calling for Trumbos head since August and thought he was so one-dimensional that he could not net us anything but a single veteran pitcher 1-2 years away from FA. Still a funny post nonetheless.

Some of us have been saying he should have been traded since after his rookie season.

If we could rewind the clock one week and these comments were posted on Angelswin.com, 99% of us would have responded like sharks to blood in an effort to defend Trumbo. Now we read them with smugness. 

• Trumbo is a basically a one-dimensional player. He's definitely not a bad player to have around, but the thing about the Diamondbacks is, they have other options.
  • Mark Reynolds V2.0 in LF
  • He’s [Trumbo] not as worthless as his OBP might suggest, but the fact that it takes him 500 outs to hit 30 home runs means that his overall value is limited

Which of those statements is not true???  I mean, Reynolds is more Dunn V2.0 but otherwise those statements were pretty accurate.  Dude was Wily Mo Pena, if only Wily Mo Pena got 600 at bats.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/penawi01.shtml

Which of those statements is not true???  I mean, Reynolds is more Dunn V2.0 but otherwise those statements were pretty accurate.  Dude was Wily Mo Pena, if only Wily Mo Pena got 600 at bats.

How dare you make a cross racial comparison. The only acceptable comparisons are Dunn, Napoli and Reynolds no matter how dissimilar their games are.

Edited by eaterfan

The statements are all true which is exactly my point. There were a lot of posters who were dead set against trading Trumbo and tried to argue the statements made by the Diamondbacks fans weren't accurate. 

The statements are all true which is exactly my point. There were a lot of posters who were dead set against trading Trumbo and tried to argue the statements made by the Diamondbacks fans weren't accurate. 

I think these concerns had to do with a general lack of confidence in Dipotos ability to get fair value for the trade.

Which of those statements is not true??? I mean, Reynolds is more Dunn V2.0 but otherwise those statements were pretty accurate. Dude was Wily Mo Pena, if only Wily Mo Pena got 600 at bats.

ha. on one of the sites someone put together a list of comps that started with Marcus Thames and Willy Mo Pena was on the list.

ha. on one of the sites someone put together a list of comps that started with Marcus Thames and Willy Mo Pena was on the list.

They were likely talking about BBRefs similarity scores...

Similar Batters  

View Similar Player Links in Pop-up

Compare Stats to Similars

1. Marcus Thames (950)
  2. Brandon Moss (948)
  3. Mike Jacobs (947)
  4. Wily Mo Pena (946)
  5. Steve Bilko (945)
  6. Olmedo Saenz (944)
  7. Otto Velez (943)
  8. Matthew Joyce (941)
  9. Bubba Trammell (940)
  10. Eduardo Perez (936)
Similar Batters through 27  

Compare Stats to Similars

1. Carlos Quentin (954)
  2. Carlos Pena (950)
  3. Jay Gibbons (949)
  4. Bob Robertson (949)
  5. Jay Buhner (945)
  6. Bo Jackson (944)
  7. Phil Plantier (941)
  8. Ron Kittle (940)
  9. Jason Kubel (940)
  10. Andre Thornton (939)
Most Similar by Ages  

Hold mouse over #'s to see names

1. Cecil Fielder (972)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  2. Josh Phelps (956)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
  3. Carlos Quentin (954)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C

I think these concerns had to do with a general lack of confidence in Dipotos ability to get fair value for the trade.

Those with concerns would have included me...I thought, and still think, that the Bourjos trade was a stinker and I had concerns that the DiPoto might trade Trumbo, Kendrick or Aybar (or all of them) for Kent Bottenfield types, pushing us back even further into a black hole with limited options to improve..I'm happy to admit that he proved me wrong, though we obviously have to see how Santiago and Skaggs progress...

Those with concerns would have included me...I thought, and still think, that the Bourjos trade was a stinker and I had concerns that the DiPoto might trade Trumbo, Kendrick or Aybar (or all of them) for Kent Bottenfield types, pushing us back even further into a black hole with limited options to improve..I'm happy to admit that he proved me wrong, though we obviously have to see how Santiago and Skaggs progress...

My fear was that he had positioned himself to trade off HK and keep Trumbo.   Grant Green was brought in for a reason, and it was a great idea if Grant Green could play a passable 2B.  

Yesterday's trade was about as perfect a scenario as the Angels could have hoped for.  In one fell swoop they were able to at least find two players capable of starting, dropped payroll, and vastly improved their bargaining position.  Watching MLB Network and reading Jason Stark it seems Kevin Towers was driving the trade but whatever -- JD got max value.    I think I read where JD went on record as saying they showed up having to do certain things and now they can do what they want vs what they need.

JD deserves credit for getting himself out of the corner he helped paint himself into.  I still hate that he pissed away Grichuk but he pulled a Houdini act with this trade and has positioned himself extremely well.  I was particularly happy to see he made a deal that meshed with what he claims is his stated vision.

If Green's bat is what he's shown in the minors, they have a capable in house solution for DH.  With HK still on board the team can afford to let Lindsey develop in AAA, and has a decent trade chip should the team fall out of contention at the break.  They have money to spend if they find a pitcher they want to spend money on.   Lots of positives that didn't exist before yesterday.

Best deal of JD's tenure in Anaheim.

I liked Trumbo and always thought he could be the guy he was for two months in 2012. .300 Average, .330 OBP, 35 HR.

Even if he does turn out that way in Arizona, Santiago looks like at minimum a solid rotation guy, just like Matt Garza, for four seasons at roughly 25M.

Tyler Skaggs is going to be at least as good as CJ Wilson by the time he's a free agent and could be better than that.

Eaton is a better Darin Erstad type.

DBacks win the short term, Angels win the long term.

My fear was that he had positioned himself to trade off HK and keep Trumbo.   Grant Green was brought in for a reason, and it was a great idea if Grant Green could play a passable 2B.  

Yesterday's trade was about as perfect a scenario as the Angels could have hoped for.  In one fell swoop they were able to at least find two players capable of starting, dropped payroll, and vastly improved their bargaining position.  Watching MLB Network and reading Jason Stark it seems Kevin Towers was driving the trade but whatever -- JD got max value.    I think I read where JD went on record as saying they showed up having to do certain things and now they can do what they want vs what they need.

JD deserves credit for getting himself out of the corner he helped paint himself into.  I still hate that he pissed away Grichuk but he pulled a Houdini act with this trade and has positioned himself extremely well.  I was particularly happy to see he made a deal that meshed with what he claims is his stated vision.

If Green's bat is what he's shown in the minors, they have a capable in house solution for DH.  With HK still on board the team can afford to let Lindsey develop in AAA, and has a decent trade chip should the team fall out of contention at the break.  They have money to spend if they find a pitcher they want to spend money on.   Lots of positives that didn't exist before yesterday.

Best deal of JD's tenure in Anaheim.

I agree with this, while it doesn't undo some of the moves I don't like it definitely does put the Angels in a much, much better position to move forward this season and in the seasons ahead.  While I would like to see them do some other moves, even staying put now I think they are competitive.  Right now I think goal numbers 1-100 should be to get Mike Trout to sign up long term. 

If he can do that, I think that will be the biggest home run Dipoto can hit as a GM.

I don't think any can objectively complain.  I don't think anyone believed we could get more than TWO solid major league starters for Trumbo.  AND based on reports that is what we got.  A back end to mid order starter in Santiago and a back end to front end Starter in Skaggs.  Both left handers.

However, this trade makes the Bourjos trade look worse.  Now we have to replace Trumbo's bat where we could have just as easily moved Calhoun into Trumbo's spot and we would have the best defensive outfield in the majors.  

Yes, Freese fills a need at 3b, but if our 3b options were so bad why did we trade Callaspo?

I agree with this, while it doesn't undo some of the moves I don't like it definitely does put the Angels in a much, much better position to move forward this season and in the seasons ahead.  While I would like to see them do some other moves, even staying put now I think they are competitive.  Right now I think goal numbers 1-100 should be to get Mike Trout to sign up long term. 

If he can do that, I think that will be the biggest home run Dipoto can hit as a GM.

I think Trout gets a long term contract after the season starts.  I've read that for budget reasons, waiting until the season starts lets them push the $ back a year.

I don't think any can objectively complain.  I don't think anyone believed we could get more than TWO solid major league starters for Trumbo.  AND based on reports that is what we got.  A back end to mid order starter in Santiago and a back end to front end Starter in Skaggs.  Both left handers.

However, this trade makes the Bourjos trade look worse.  Now we have to replace Trumbo's bat where we could have just as easily moved Calhoun into Trumbo's spot and we would have the best defensive outfield in the majors.  

Yes, Freese fills a need at 3b, but if our 3b options were so bad why did we trade Callaspo?

Callaspo was overpaid and underperforming and they got a good hitter with poor fielding skills in his place. They also knew that Cowart was likely going to repeat AA, which is not a good thing but he probably should've started at A+ again, moving up to AA with success. He's still age appropriate for AA, so that's fine. 

Freese being under club control for two more seasons is not a bad thing. It doesn't rush Cowart to be ready in 2015.

Green is going to be the DH, which is probably his best fielding position anyway. I'd bet he plays 60 games as the DH, if he's hitting. I'd guess the other 92 being split up relatively evenly between Conger, Freese, Calhoun, Hamilton, and Pujols. If they don't sign anyone, that is. He'll get probably 30-40 games at 2nd too. 

I think Trout gets a long term contract after the season starts.  I've read that for budget reasons, waiting until the season starts lets them push the $ back a year.

I agree with this. I believe the AAV gets calculated on opening day, or soon thereafter.

Knowing that Wells and Blanton come off the books at the end of the 2014 season, I can see a deal happening sometime mid-season for 2015 and beyond.