• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We lost this trade

Docwaukee

I'm going to go ahead and call it now.

The last time baseball insight and ESPN occupy the same sentence.

Let's not act like the company that pays Harold Reynolds, Mitch Williams, and Kevin Millar is some bastion of perspicacity. The real question is: why is ANYONE depending upon TV networks for baseball analysis? The internet is better. 

I was against trading Trumbo unless we got solid value in return. And, this trade qualifies as solid value. To get 2 potentially solid starting pitchers who can contribute sooner than later is more than spectacular.

The only concern I have with this trade is the health of Pujols and Hamilton. If they're healthy, won't really miss Trumbo very much.

Let's not act like the company that pays Harold Reynolds, Mitch Williams, and Kevin Millar is some bastion of perspicacity. The real question is: why is ANYONE depending upon TV networks for baseball analysis? The internet is better. 

On the flip side, they do employ Bryan Kenny.

I was against trading Trumbo unless we got solid value in return. And, this trade qualifies as solid value. To get 2 potentially solid starting pitchers who can contribute sooner than later is more than spectacular.

The only concern I have with this trade is the health of Pujols and Hamilton. If they're healthy, won't really miss Trumbo very much.

If Pujols and Hamilton aren't healthy/producing...the Angels aren't going to win anyways...at least not without solid starting pitching which they made an attempt to address today.

Dipoto killed with this trade. The more I analyze it, the more I LOVE it for both the present and future.

'Experts' don't know the Angels as well as most of the fans on this forum. We know what this organization needed, what it had to spend, and JD killed. Stoked.

Nailed it!

a couple of things I like about this trade:

Dipoto seems to be very good at trading known quantities for potential. 

He was patient and let the market come to him.

He made the tough decision that's probably not going to be immediately embraced by the general fan and did what was best for the long term health of the team. 

He took an over valued market commodity and turned it into something the team desperately needed with other teams aware of our dilemma. 

He made the tough decision that's probably not going to be immediately embraced by the general fan and did what was best for the long term health of the team. 

This has surprised me a bit. I totally get that the general fan believes that HR and RBI are the only way to look at a player but did these same fans watch our pitching last year? It was almost impossible to watch a Hanson or Blanton start. 

Edited by Angels_Baseball

One of the best things about this trade is that pretty much prior to it happening, it seemed like the Angels weren't going to be very flexible in whichever way they went about doing things, and now there are several different paths they could take to improve. All that money saved non-tendering Williams, Hanson, etc. looks like a great move now. Furthermore, it increases their leverage with Kendrick...they really don't need to trade him now. They can wait and see how the 2B market plays out and let interested teams come to them with their best offers.

They can keep Kendrick, use the remaining $20mil on a Garza/Tanaka and a solid DH/bench option.

They could deal Kendrick for a DH type, or a #4 type and possibly free up another small chunk of salary be it for Choo, Garza, Tanaka, etc.

They could deal Kendrick for SP/RP prospects, free up an even larger chunk of salary, and go after even bigger named FAs.

They could deal Kendrick for C/SS prospects, possibly freeing up Aybar or Iannetta for further deals/salary space.

They could go cheap and leave it as is with room to play with budget as the deadline nears, and then use Kendrick as bait to fill a need then.

It seemed before all the boardfolk sort of rehashed the same scenarios and you sort of half-expected them to come true in some way, whereas now the Angels could really go in all sorts of different options.

Edited by totdprods

Which pundits? Who? The OP seems to just be building up a strawman. The consensus is this trade was good for us and the Sox and pretty bad for the D'Backs and that's where I sit. Assuming the PTBNL is nothing special, we made a huge step towards addressing our pitching depth and added payroll flexibility in one. Of course the offense suffers, but it's a hell of a lot easier to find good hitting corner OF/DH types than it is to find two young pitchers under club control. Bag ourselves another experienced starter and I'm happier with the state of our rotation than I thought was possible a few weeks ago. Then all we need to do is find an OF or DH, relatively cheaply, to make sure Shuck isn't starting and we're set (probably still with a pretty average team, but a hell of a lot better than I thought we'd be).

I love this trade.  Decent pitching for hitting is what we need.  I also like that we have LHP.

I agree. Like seeing the Angels acquire some young cost controlled pitching. Especially left handed pitchers.

Now I'm curious to see what they do with money we are saving. Hope JD doesn't make a costly mistake in his next move.

Apparently Diamondbacksbullpen.org has their very own AO.

Poster: "where the hell is Shoe?"

Reply: "he probably broke his keyboard again"

Lol

Looks like other forums are on the same page as us.

http://forum.diamondbacksbullpen.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1988

If we could rewind the clock one week and these comments were posted on Angelswin.com, 99% of us would have responded like sharks to blood in an effort to defend Trumbo. Now we read them with smugness. 

• Trumbo is a basically a one-dimensional player. He's definitely not a bad player to have around, but the thing about the Diamondbacks is, they have other options.
  • Mark Reynolds V2.0 in LF
  • He’s [Trumbo] not as worthless as his OBP might suggest, but the fact that it takes him 500 outs to hit 30 home runs means that his overall value is limited
Edited by Coachbulldog

So based on what was mentioned here about Vargas/Santiago, does Dipoto do this trade if we signed Vargas?

Probably so....Santiago would still give you rotation depth, a better and younger version of Jerome Williams.....Based on last year, we certainly need at least 6 starters....Signing Vargas would have probably meant we pulled out of the Tanaka/Garza sweepstakes though......