• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels discussing trade for Freese

nate

Are we talking about the same Snyder (1B Michael)? Who was only drafted in 2012, and at age 23 in 2013 put up almost similar high-A stats (25 HRs, 63 XBHs, almost 100 rbis, .843 OPS) to what Cron put up in high-A in 2012 at that same age?

I just got served by AO.

I thought you were talking about Chris Snyder.

He is a sinker guy. He induces ground balls at a career 51.4% which ranks in the top ten in MLB. He's got a HR/9 Rate of 0.78 which would put him in the top 25 in MLB right with guys named Justin Verlander, Gio Gonzalez, Nolasco, David Price and just ahead of guys like Strasberg. Sheilds and Ubaldo Jimenez.

His Periphs basically make him an Andrew Cashner, Wade Miley, Jeff Locke, Willy Peralta, clone with upside thanks to a 96 MPH FB and a very sharp albeit inconsistent curve.

That GB rate and low HR/9 rate makes the K rate less of a factor.

He also had a very impressive 135 ERA+ this year. Unlike Lynn's 91.

i'd love to have freese at third. haven't had a decent third basemen here in a while. bat has some decent pop. you have to hope the injuries are behind him and that he's healthy to play 140 games plus.

i'd trade bourjos straight up for him. i'd also trade petey and aybar for freese and a pitcher.

Salmon and Erstad all had significantly better careers than Glaus.

If only someone had asked who had a better career and not who was arguably the most talented.  And anyone who thinks Erstad had a better career than Glaus needs to go home because they are drunk. 

Darin Erstad's career 93 OPS+ pales in comparison to Glaus' 119.   You can talk up how great Estad was defensively, but Glaus was also a positive dWar guy.   As I said previously, had it not been for injuries, Troy Glaus was a guy with a shot at the HOF.   Dude was 32 when his back went boom.

Tim Salmon is possibly my favorite Angels player of all time, but his defense wasn't close to being what Glaus' had been at 3B.  Sorry, but from a talent POV, the guy who could hit 40 HRs and had the glove to play SS had they wanted to was significantly more talented than the big bat corner OFer with bad wheels.

Edited by Inside Pitch

The control issues plus the lack of Ks really scares me.  Not to mention he's super WHIPpy.

I don't particularly like his mechanics either, his shoulder and elbow are carrying nearly all of his force.  I've never liked pitchers with that snapping motion a la Richards. 

The control is a byproduct of his stuff.  He bounces balls in front of the plate from time to time in large part because of how much movement his pitches create and the fact that he's throwing really freaking hard.   

I was one of 8 people in attendance in Miami on back to back nights and saw him pitch.  The sound his pitches make while in the air is sick -- reminded me of listening to Darren Dreifort and Kevin Brown.   

In fact -- people concerned about his walk rate and low K/9 should take a look at Kevin Brown's stats early in his career..   He is IMO one of the best comps for Joe Kelly...   http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brownke01.shtml  

The tools are there, sometimes you have to look and LISTEN for them.

I know those 2 names fill me with confidence.  :)

Dreifort never lived up to his potential, was always injuried -- but Kevin Brown managed a career ERA+ of 127 in over 3200 innings. That 127 is the same as Felix Hernandez, Justin Verlander and Jered Weaver have managed over their careers. 

The fact remains they both threw a very loud ball -- not that I think you have any clue what that means.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Dreifort never lived up to his potential, was always injuried -- but Kevin Brown managed a career ERA+ of 127 in over 3200 innings.  The fact remains they both threw a very loud ball -- not that I think you have any clue what that means.

relax relax, i was just teasing.  I get the comparison.

If only someone had asked who had a better career and not who was arguably the most talented.  And anyone who thinks Erstad had a better career than Glaus needs to go home because they are drunk. 

Darin Erstad career 93 OPS+ pales in comparison to Glaus' 119.   You can talk up how great Estad was defensively, but Glaus was also a positive dWar guy.   As I said previously, had it not been for injuries, Troy Glaus was a guy with a shot at the HOF.   Dude was 32 when his back went boom.

Tim Salmon is possibly my favorite Angels player of all time, but his defense wasn't close to being what Glaus' had been at 3B.  Sorry, but from a talent POV, the guy who could hit 40 HRs and had the glove to play SS had they wanted to was significantly more talented than the big bat corner OFer with bad wheels.

If you want to talk 'talent' then sure you can really throw it all away. I always anticipated Glaus becoming that amazing player that his talent suggested but outside of those first couple of seasons when offense was at its peak in MLB he never really showed it. I did always like his defense at third, and his career did end far too soon. 

At the same time Erstad was a #1 pick, he was responsible for arguably the best season in franchise history until Trout got here. He was the best defensive center fielder to play on this team since I started following it, but unfortunately all those catches seemed to hurt him more than they helped but he stuck it out though.

Salmon didn't have Glaus' power or Erstad's defensive skills, and it is his defensive value that brings down his career some, but he was easily the best overall hitter this organization has produced outside of Jim Edmonds.

Looking closer at the numbers I do suppose I was discounting Glaus' numbers outside of Anaheim a little too much. And a lot of the difference between the three comes down to how you rate their defense.

I hope Freese stays in STL.   He hit 20 HRs in 2012.  With Beltran gone, I don't want the Cards to spread themselves too thin on power.   He has 2 more years of team control.

Not to mention his replacement, Kolten Wong, has yet to prove he can hit in the MLB.    Matt Carpenter would take over 3rd.   Wong would be full time 2B, he may not be ready for that.  

As a Cards fan, I'd prefer the Cards trade Lynn over Kelly.  Kelly has one more year of control and while Lynn has some great stuff but isn't a very strong guy mentally.   Kelly doesn't have great swing and miss stuff like Lynn, but he was the Cards best pitcher in the 2nd half and handled himself well in the post season.

I would be cool with Lynn for Aybar.  

But who would the Angels bring in to play SS?   

And I do like Peter Borjous, he would be an upgrade over Jon Jay for sure..

just not sure I want to give up Freese for him.  A year from now I might feel differently. 

And yes Freese sucks as a defender.