• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels discussing trade for Freese

nate

If Jerry gives up more than Bourjos for Freese, he needs to be fired.  That would simply be laughable.

Now, if the trade is going to include the Angels getting back a relief arm or something like that, it makes a bit more sense.

Dude trades Callaspo for a guy who can't play defense anywhere and doesn't hit enough to be a DH...   If he now trades Bourjos for Vanillapso, while ignoring the pitching holes that have existed for two years  -- Sigh....

I think both team's fans are overvaluing or over-hyping Freese and Bourjos.  Based on potential and some actual showing, Freese is an average-good 3B with 20 HR power and a .275 AVG/.350 OBP bat, something the Angels really haven't had since the later Glaus years, and could use.  Bourjos is a terrific defensive CF, with good speed, yet hasn't shown over an average bat and hasn't stolen bases anywhere near he should with his speed.  He has been snakebit with injuries, specifically last year. 

I agree, our main issues are pitching, and they need to be addressed.  Perhaps acquiring a 3b allows us to move a Trumbo or Kendrick without completely losing the offensive output.  Doing this doesn't preclude us from making moves for pitching.  Dipoto has said this offseason that their areas to address are starting pitching, bullpen, and 3B.  If we made moves to solidfy the rotation and bullpen first, and then made a deal for Freese, I'm not sure there would be this much debate, however I understand the concern that pitching has not been addressed yet.  It's possible this move may allow for the other moves we need to make.

That doesn't make sense. If you trade Aybar, Bourjos and whatever for Freese and Lynn or something, then the 3rd base problem is solved and you have Romine/Field take over at short. Romine's defensive value will cover the drop in offense. If they don't feel either would be a suitable replacement then pick up someone in free agency on a 1 year deal.

The Angels are either playing tough to get, or they are stupid. They need pitching. Losing Aybar would suck but it isn't like he is irreplaceable. I believe they need a solid starter more than a .300 OBP shortstop....

I'm okay with Romine at SS, as he started to come on at the plate in September and is very solid defensively.

BUT, I only wish Freese could be counted on to hit at least like his 2011 self (not just WS game 6, but also a near.800 OPS for the season).

I think both team's fans are overvaluing or over-hyping Freese and Bourjos.  Based on potential and some actual showing, Freese is an average-good 3B with 20 HR power and a .275 AVG/.350 OBP bat, something the Angels really haven't had since the later Glaus years, and could use.  Bourjos is a terrific defensive CF, with good speed, yet hasn't shown over an average bat and hasn't stolen bases anywhere near he should with his speed.  He has been snakebit with injuries, specifically last year. 

I agree, our main issues are pitching, and they need to be addressed.  Perhaps acquiring a 3b allows us to move a Trumbo or Kendrick without completely losing the offensive output.  Doing this doesn't preclude us from making moves for pitching.  Dipoto has said this offseason that their areas to address are starting pitching, bullpen, and 3B.  If we made moves to solidfy the rotation and bullpen first, and then made a deal for Freese, I'm not sure there would be this much debate, however I understand the concern that pitching has not been addressed yet.  It's possible this move may allow for the other moves we need to make.

Freese hit 20 HR once.  He hit nine last year.  He doesn't have 20-HR power, he just got lucky one year.  His defense is bad.  We don't need White Callaspo at 3B, especially if we give up an excellent defensive CF with an average bat.

Freese hit 20 HR once.  He hit nine last year.  He doesn't have 20-HR power, he just got lucky one year.  His defense is bad.  We don't need White Callaspo at 3B, especially if we give up an excellent defensive CF with an average bat.

His 20 HRs in 2012 were his first season with full ABs (567).  Last year, he had a back injury all year that zapped his power...even on a down year, he still had .262/.340 with 60 RBIs.  We aren't getting that with any internal options at 3rd. 

For a speedy guy, Bourjos is on base at a .306 rate and doesn't have a spot currently if Calhoun is starting.