• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels discussing trade for Freese

nate

His fielding average was .957, placing him 15th among all MLB third basemen. He made 11 errors on 256 chances, starting 129 of the 132 games he played in. For comparison, Adrian Beltre's FA was .959.

Have you looked at the defensive metrics last year?  Beltre always a great defensive player was actually below average.   The one year where comparing a player to Beltre doesn't really make a case for him.

FLD% doesnt tell us much other than he tends to catch the balls he gets to.

even discounting the fact that our GM obviously hasn't thought too highly of Haren for years now, from where I'm standing the guy looks like a shell of his former self.  He was always more of a command guy, and now even that seems to be gone.  Did you watch him in 2012?  He was throwing upper 80s and getting knocked around silly.  Now we're talking about 2 seasons later.  I really don't get the Haren fascination.  He was once a really good pitcher, but it's been years since that's been true.

He's yet to pitch a full season and he has a ton of upside. He is also under club control until 2019 and won't even be eligible for Arb. until 2016. He was also born in Anaheim so he'd probably love to pitch there.

If you are expecting more for Aybar I think you will be disappointed.

I completely disagree with you on aybar. The past four seasons he has 10.5 WAR, good for 5th in the AL during that span. And he had a crappy year, say he had an average 2013 he would be top 3. He's still in his prime and while he isn't the best SS in the AL, he is in the elite.

I think just settling on a guy like Kelly for him is seriously underplaying our hand

Apparently they want outfield depth.

This is what scares me most: "Freese has battled lower leg problems in the past, and last season he was limited by a back injury."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24256860/report-cardinals-angels-talking-david-freese-trade 

Here is some discussion about players with back injuries: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/mash-report-102413-cabrera-kemp-and-back-injuries/

Freese is on the list so he has a higher chance of under performing next season due to the back injury.

God, please don't trade Calhoun or Bourjos for Freese. Terrible move.

Shuck for Freese won't happen. Shuck and a grade C/C+ prospect? Maybe.

Watching Joe Kelly pitch is more impressive than his stat line - he's got nasty stuff.

I agree with you AJ re: Joe Kelly. Anyone who opposing him doesn't know shit.

I'm getting tired of fans getting boners over MPH and swings-and-misses.

meh.

stats tell the story of what actually happens on the field, not someone's opinion about how their pitches "look." sure his pitches look pretty but do they get batters out?

its like signing a guy who has a "great swing" but can't hit worth a damn in actual games.

Well as you know, Chuck, I like my stats. But they must be coupled with what we see on the field.

Not to mention that strikeout rates can change. Guess which pitcher had a 6.00 strikeout/9IP rate in his first full season? Justin Verlander.

Finally, Kelly regularly reaches the mid-90s on his fastball, so he's not lacking in MPH. Actually, he kind of reminded me of a better Garret Richards - another pitcher whose K rate is lower than his MPH would entail.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Yes, they do. So far he has a career 121 ERA+

Kelly is exactly the type of pitcher the Angels need.

career 1.93 K/bb ratio. career 3.12 BB\9 and that was much higher in the minors. Career 4.00 FIP. He would have sucked with the angels defense behind him this season. and his LOB% suggests that he may be getting lucky.

he is Jason Vargas. He is CJ Wilson without the strikeouts.

career 1.93 K/bb ratio. career 3.12 BB\9 and that was much higher in the minors. Career 4.00 FIP. He would have sucked with the angels defense behind him this season. and his LOB% suggests that he may be getting lucky.

he is Jason Vargas. He is CJ Wilson without the strikeouts.

He certainly isn't that bad.