• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The exercise/weight loss thread

I can't stress how important water has been for me so far. I can't even fathom how many calories I was drinking on a weekly basis between beer, milk, soda, Gatorade etc... It's gotta be at least 10,000. Throw in all the crap I was eating and it's no wonder I got so hilariously obese.

Now if I can just start to appreciate black coffee, I'll have completely cut out liquid calories from my diet. 

16 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I can't stress how important water has been for me so far. I can't even fathom how many calories I was drinking on a weekly basis between beer, milk, soda, Gatorade etc... It's gotta be at least 10,000. Throw in all the crap I was eating and it's no wonder I got so hilariously obese.

Now if I can just start to appreciate black coffee, I'll have completely cut out liquid calories from my diet. 

I hear Circle K makes a mean cup of black coffee.

7 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

I hear Circle K makes a mean cup of black coffee.

We used to have a 7-Eleven in town and their coffee is legitimately pretty good and always fresh (I know because I worked there for 4 years). But now it's just some Genero mart.

There's two Circle K's but I don't recall them having coffee anywhere.

Black coffee is the worst, I know because I drink it every day.  I drink one cup of black coffee each day, and when that isn’t enough caffeine, I will grab a Bang and drink it throughout the morning while visiting my stores.  I have really cut back on Starbucks, but it was the only place I was drinking coffee with sugar and half and half.  I haven’t had a real soda (Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Rootbeer) in several months.  I have been drinking a soda called Zevia, which is zero calorie, zero carbs, they are sweetened with Stevia.  

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

We used to have a 7-Eleven in town and their coffee is legitimately pretty good and always fresh (I know because I worked there for 4 years). But now it's just some Genero mart.

There's two Circle K's but I don't recall them having coffee anywhere.

You said you like iced tea. Buy one of these at target for $5

Good Cook Mixing Bottle - 3 Quart : Target
https://www.target.com/p/good-cook-mixing-bottle-3-quart/-/A-75668326

And buy this:

Lipton Family Black Iced Tea Bags Unsweetened - 24ct : Target
https://www.target.com/p/lipton-family-black-iced-tea-bags-unsweetened-24ct/-/A-13010342

You can drink iced tea all day for almost nothing, and it has zero calories.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:10 PM, tdawg87 said:

Down 30 pounds in 3 months (actually closer to 2 probably). I realize a good chunk of that was likely water weight but still.

Shit was really bad. Like embarrassingly bad. I stepped on the electronic scale at the doctor's and was just under 400 pounds. That was when I kind of realized I couldn't keep living like this or I was going to die before I reached age 50. I never thought I'd be a 300 pound man years ago. I never even considered being a fucking 400 pound man. It's really embarrassing that I'm telling you guys this but I feel like it's best to have some kind of support.

My ULTIMATE best case scenario goal is to get to 199. I haven't been under 200 pounds since I was 13. I may never get there, but I did get down to about 240 about 8 years ago so I know it's possible. I'm keeping my goals realistic though: 25 pounds at a time. I don't want to intimidate myself with a huge number like 190-200 pounds so I figured keeping my goals lower and more achievable will curb my potential discouragement.

I'm not dieting. No keto or whatever. I've simply told myself this needs to be a permanent lifestyle change. This needs to be how I plan to spend the rest of my life. Unfortunately....I've had to make some very difficult concessions, namely beer. Beer, as much as I love it, is really my worst enemy. I was bordering on alcoholism, spending all my money, getting depressed, and to top it off drinking beer made me crave food. So I'd binge on beer then binge on food. Cutting beer has been very hard but ultimately it will probably save my life.

I'm becoming a portion control junkie. I AM counting calories and making sure I eat normal serving sizes. I don't want to count calories for the rest of my life but I figure after a certain point I'll be able to tell just by seeing what I'm putting on my plate.

I have NOT cut out unhealthy foods, however I'm definitely growing an appreciation for certain vegetables like brussels sprouts. I think the biggest change I've made is I'm no longer drinking any calories. No milk, soda, or alcohol. I've developed a taste for cold water and I really like it and drink it all day long. I feel like this has helped curb my hunger a bit and it keeps me busy putting something down my gullet.

As for exercise, well I haven't quite gotten there yet. I'm not a fan of walking outside because I don't want people to see me and obviously I can't go to the gym until further notice. I do have a treadmill and some dumbbells and I will absolutely be working those into my daily routine soon. Health is such an important factor here and while eating "right" gets me there, exercise has to be a part of the equation. Also, I should be getting regular exercise regardless of whether I was trying to lose weight or not. Again, this is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

I've got a long road ahead of me but I just have to keep telling myself that this is for my health. Also I don't want @Adam to have to pay higher taxes for my fatass health issues.

Tl;dr Sir, this is not a Wendy's

Congrats on the 30 pounds.

I know everyone already put in their two cents but I feel compelled to add mine too. I think it's important to note that weight loss is more mental than anything. You need to be aware of your mental health and the things that play into that first before you can make realistic long term changes. There is some sort of feedback loop between sleep, diet and mental health that can be either negative or positive and push you very quickly in one direction or the other.

Start by making sure you are getting enough sleep. This is a foundational health activity. Things like drugs and alcohol inhibit your body's ability to reach deep sleep where the most restorative processes occur. A lack of deep sleep inhibits your ability to function optimally throughout the day so this will have a significant effect on your ability to follow through with your plan. When you are well rested it's easier to get outside and take a walk, to cook a healthy meal or to focus on the days tasks, When you are tired it's easier to lounge around or binge on taco bell. 

As others have already mentioned limit your intake of processed foods. These have a strange affect on the body and are probably leading to unnecessary cravings. 

The more you start to do healthy things and make healthier choices the better you feel about yourself. While changing your routine is difficult once you get some momentum those changes become easier. This is where you turn that feedback loop back around from a spiraling negative to a soaring positive. Your mental disposition is probably the biggest hurdle to get through so you have to take stock of those mental triggers that influence poor choices. For me, and I think most people, the biggest issue is having a lot of down time. If you put a rat in a cage with a heroin drip the rat will just binge on the drugs till they die of dehydration, but if you put a wheel in the cage the rat will generally ignore the drugs. It's not that different for us. A steady supply of food and alcohol in the house with nothing to do is a recipe for disaster. Give yourself some purpose for the time you spend outside of work, and remove your vices from the home - that is the key ingredient to 'lifestyle change.'

On 4/5/2020 at 4:22 AM, tdawg87 said:

I wasn't planning on running at all until I get closer to 250. 

Walking is so boring I just can't commit to it for 20-30 minutes. 

Alexa, can I lose weight by napping all day?

tdawg, I read all your posts on here. First off, congrats man. 30 pounds is not a small amount. Sounds like you are well on your way. 

I’ll give you my advice, as someone who has lost weight many times in my life (and unfortunately has managed to put weight back on many times). First, as you point out, you gotta cut the beer. Like you, I love beer, but I am convinced IPA is the single worst thing you can consume on a diet. 

Second, I don’t believe in being overly restrictive. You should have a cheat meal a couple times a week, but the key is not to go crazy. Your cheat meal should be a 1,000 calorie meal, not a 3,000 calorie meal. And fast food isn’t terrible because it allows you to measure your calories. I know that I can go to chic-fil-a and buy a sandwich and nuggets and my total calories will be 680, and there is no risk I will eat more than that. Fast food can at least be consistent and easy to measure.

Third, you have to exercise. It’s an absolute must. And not even for the calorie burn, but because of the psychological impact. You will eat better throughout the day knowing you exercised. Exercise early, and try to do it 6 times per week. Walking is ideal because it is low impact and not particularly difficult, so you are more likely to stick with it.

Fourth, don’t weigh yourself. Throw away your scale batteries. 

Fifth, if you can afford to do so, buy an Apple Watch or Fitbit. You should be tracking all your exercise and working to improve it each day or week. If you walked two miles in 32 minutes today, you should try to do it in 31.5 minutes tomorrow. Keep building on what you are doing. 

Sixth, cut out bread, and drastically cut your portions of all other carbs. A little goes a long way. But that being said, I ate a lot of rice on my most recent diet (and still lost 18 pounds in 10 weeks). You don’t have to eliminate carbs, but you should cut them way down. 

Seventh, find a protein shake you like, then use that to replace your breakfast. I like a vegetable based protein shake with almond or coconut milk. 

Eighth, almonds and apples make great snacks and help reduce hunger. 

Ninth, “go public” with the fact that you are in a diet. Tell everyone so that you will stick with it so that you don’t come across as a failure. 

And lastly, it’s all about momentum. The hardest part of any diet is the first two weeks. But if you can stick it out for that (and you have cleared that hurdle), it gets so much easier. 

Thanks man, I appreciate your advice.

I'm absolutely going to exercise. This is a lifestyle change and it's less about "being thin" and pretty much entirely about being healthy. I'm trying to look at it from the perspective of someone who isn't overweight and is healthy. Why are they healthy? Because they exercise and eat right. That's what everyone should be doing. It's just good for you, both mentally and physically. I mean yeah, I could just count calories and not bother with exercise and still lose the weight. But that's not going to help me be healthy. Being thin and being healthy are not one in the same.

I've heard from other people that weighing yourself can be detrimental to weight loss. You're so focused on a number so when it's not what you would like you get discouraged and think you've made no progress, when in reality you have. I guess it makes a lot of sense. The number isn't what's important, at least not right now. The weight will fall off regardless of the scale. I suppose it takes that psychological aspect out of the equation. Honestly weighing yourself is stressful as fuck.

I'll look into getting a Fitbit or something. It sounds like a good idea.

And I posted this on FB so it's out there. I have to admit I do care what other people think, and I dream about the day I get to post that I reached my goal. Somewhat vain, for sure, but it's one of my motivations.

When you start running out of belt notches that's a good time to check your weight just for the hell of it. Nothing better than tossing away a belt for a shorter one. I've tossed out two sizes in pants so far along with some shirts. Still have plenty of notches to go on my recent set of belts but look forward to trashing those as well. 

3 hours ago, wopphil said:

tdawg, I read all your posts on here. First off, congrats man. 30 pounds is not a small amount. Sounds like you are well on your way. 

I’ll give you my advice, as someone who has lost weight many times in my life (and unfortunately has managed to put weight back on many times). First, as you point out, you gotta cut the beer. Like you, I love beer, but I am convinced IPA is the single worst thing you can consume on a diet. 

Second, I don’t believe in being overly restrictive. You should have a cheat meal a couple times a week, but the key is not to go crazy. Your cheat meal should be a 1,000 calorie meal, not a 3,000 calorie meal. And fast food isn’t terrible because it allows you to measure your calories. I know that I can go to chic-fil-a and buy a sandwich and nuggets and my total calories will be 680, and there is no risk I will eat more than that. Fast food can at least be consistent and easy to measure.

Third, you have to exercise. It’s an absolute must. And not even for the calorie burn, but because of the psychological impact. You will eat better throughout the day knowing you exercised. Exercise early, and try to do it 6 times per week. Walking is ideal because it is low impact and not particularly difficult, so you are more likely to stick with it.

Fourth, don’t weigh yourself. Throw away your scale batteries. 

Fifth, if you can afford to do so, buy an Apple Watch or Fitbit. You should be tracking all your exercise and working to improve it each day or week. If you walked two miles in 32 minutes today, you should try to do it in 31.5 minutes tomorrow. Keep building on what you are doing. 

Sixth, cut out bread, and drastically cut your portions of all other carbs. A little goes a long way. But that being said, I ate a lot of rice on my most recent diet (and still lost 18 pounds in 10 weeks). You don’t have to eliminate carbs, but you should cut them way down. 

Seventh, find a protein shake you like, then use that to replace your breakfast. I like a vegetable based protein shake with almond or coconut milk. 

Eighth, almonds and apples make great snacks and help reduce hunger. 

Ninth, “go public” with the fact that you are in a diet. Tell everyone so that you will stick with it so that you don’t come across as a failure. 

And lastly, it’s all about momentum. The hardest part of any diet is the first two weeks. But if you can stick it out for that (and you have cleared that hurdle), it gets so much easier. 

Stop it dude. I told you a bunch of this shit 2-3 years ago and you still asked how you plateaued or what to do. Don't act like Mr. Fitness years later.

Literally, go through this entire thread. Nothing I or MrWicked have said is incorrect while looking at your posts. We would literally say some shit and you post that it or that it worked months later while arguing the point or questioning it.

You have some universal points, but I don't respect when you have asked for advice here and we gave it to you and you went in a different direction and then came back to complain about it or did something else.

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Stop it dude. I told you a bunch of this shit 2-3 years ago and you still asked how you plateaued or what to do. Don't act like Mr. Fitness years later.

Literally, go through this entire thread. Nothing I or MrWicked have said is incorrect while looking at your posts. We would literally say some shit and you post that it or that it worked months later while arguing the point or questioning it.

You have some universal points, but I don't respect when you have asked for advice here and we gave it to you and you went in a different direction and then came back to complain about it or did something else.

I presume you are just screwing around with this post. In any event, you probably have a lot of good advice on diet and weight loss (as you are very knowledgeable on many subjects), and anyone looking to get into better shape should consider whatever you advise.

But candidly, I didn’t consult this thread before starting my most recent diet at the beginning of the year. I just did what worked for me.  Nor did I read this thread before drafting my post to tdawg to make sure I didn’t infringe upon something you or mrwicked said.

And I am hardly Mr. Fitness. I am probably still 20+ percent body fat and my elbow is so jacked up that I can’t do much resistance work or lifting. But I am slightly less of a health disaster than I was three months ago.

11 hours ago, wopphil said:

I presume you are just screwing around with this post. In any event, you probably have a lot of good advice on diet and weight loss (as you are very knowledgeable on many subjects), and anyone looking to get into better shape should consider whatever you advise.

But candidly, I didn’t consult this thread before starting my most recent diet at the beginning of the year. I just did what worked for me.  Nor did I read this thread before drafting my post to tdawg to make sure I didn’t infringe upon something you or mrwicked said.

And I am hardly Mr. Fitness. I am probably still 20+ percent body fat and my elbow is so jacked up that I can’t do much resistance work or lifting. But I am slightly less of a health disaster than I was three months ago.

I was an asshole last night. I've liked you ever since we met and hungout for a bit at one of the first softball games. I apologize.

What I was trying to get at is you have asked a bunch of the same questions or things over the years that we have answered. I don't do it anymore with you, but when you would ask questions some of us (myself included because I've already done the fitness homework) would chime in to help, but you would ask something similar in your next post or not try the advice. It just struck me as odd.

Like I said, there is a lot of merit to what you posted. As much as all of us want some magic formula, it's really the same recipe with some slight adjustments to body type, genealogy, nutrition, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried to purchase any weights or fitness equipment the last month? I have been trying to get a weight set for my home gym machine, but have been told that fitness equipment has basically been like toilet paper the last two months - everyone bought up all the supply. I was told even the manufacturers have nothing in stock to sell to retailers. And after market pricing is absolutely insane for anything used.

Just now, wopphil said:

Has anyone tried to purchase any weights or fitness equipment the last month? I have been trying to get a weight set for my home gym machine, but have been told that fitness equipment has basically been like toilet paper the last two months - everyone bought up all the supply. I was told even the manufacturers have nothing in stock to sell to retailers. And after market pricing is absolutely insane for anything used.

try facebook marketplace. all kinds of stuff there, and some good deals to be had.

On 4/5/2020 at 7:16 AM, tdawg87 said:

This is so, so key.

People have no idea how many calories they add to their diet from drinks. Be it soda, sweet coffee, alcohol, whatever. That alone is one of the biggest causes of weight gain.

35 minutes ago, wopphil said:

All the good shit is gonzo.... been waiting on a rogue squat rack... cool as hell, folds inward for storage. Real gyms opening soon at least....

Tdawg, gonna piggyback on something phil said in here. He mentioned fitbit... im not too familiar, but i use a different device called  Myzone. Its a monitor that you where over your chest.

It will track your calories burned very accurately... that alone is huge. With that in mind, contrasted with how many calories youre eating will be huge. Your motivation will come from people noticing, and going "dude, you been working out?" But sometimes that takes longer. 

With this thing, even what you arent "seeing" yet, youll still know, because you ate X amount of calories today, and burned Y. That alone is the only "secret" of weight loss.

Diets dont work. No matter what the diet is. Your body will adjust to whatever you do diet wise. Youll gain more weight when you come off the diet than you started with, because your body has adjusted to making up what you took away from it.

So in simplest terms, burn more than youre taking in. You can literally eat ice cream every day if you want... as long as you burn it off.

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Tdawg, gonna piggyback on something phil said in here. He mentioned fitbit... im not too familiar, but i use a different device called  Myzone. Its a monitor that you where over your chest.

i thought that was called a lie detector/polygraph.

Lie detector tests set to be introduced to monitor sex offenders ...