• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The exercise/weight loss thread

On 3/3/2020 at 9:43 PM, Blarg said:

Sushi has rice so it's not on the diet. I do miss it. 

Look into Exogenous Ketones. I would take this after a meal with carbs and when I would test my blood I was still over 3.0, which is considered in ketosis. It's a way to consume carbs and not get knocked out of ketosis. Obviously don't go nuts with the carbs, but I found I could even eat pasta and still stay in ketosis. I used this one:

White-Product_1200x1200-NEWBase-Chocolat

I just opened a new bottle of Vega Sport protein powder - Mocha flavor. It’s excellent - I highly recommend to anyone who wants to use a vegan protein powder.

Speaking of going vegan, I watched Game Changers and Forks Over Knives this week. Some compelling shit in there - I recommend both movies. I’d never go vegan, for a number of reasons, but I am going to try to drastically cut my animal intake.

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

Ironically, people are having more success with health issues and carnivore diets/lifestyles.

I am way too picky of an eater, and enjoy animal product way too much, to go vegan/vegetarian. Plus, meat helps me limit my calories and get enough protein, which supports weight control, which in turn supports overall good health.

That being said, I think I can cut my animal intake drastically and simultaneously improve my health.

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

I am way too picky of an eater, and enjoy animal product way too much, to go vegan/vegetarian. Plus, meat helps me limit my calories and get enough protein, which supports weight control, which in turn supports overall good health.

That being said, I think I can cut my animal intake drastically and simultaneously improve my health.

The simplest way to do this is just avoid anything that comes in a box or anything besides meat that you would want to douse with gravy

9 hours ago, wopphil said:

Fish. Fish. Fish.

One way or another, the ONLY way to lose weight is age old calories vs calories burned. If you want to be a vegan, keto, etc, it doesnt matter. You could eat nothing but junkfood and carbs, and still lose weight IF you are willing to burn it off everyday.

Vice versa, you could eat super clean. Chicken and broccoli every day. And still gain weight if you just sit around. 

Healthy food isnt nearly as good as bad food. But the tradeoff in health is something everyone needs to consider. 

• 4 weeks later...

Down 30 pounds in 3 months (actually closer to 2 probably). I realize a good chunk of that was likely water weight but still.

Shit was really bad. Like embarrassingly bad. I stepped on the electronic scale at the doctor's and was just under 400 pounds. That was when I kind of realized I couldn't keep living like this or I was going to die before I reached age 50. I never thought I'd be a 300 pound man years ago. I never even considered being a fucking 400 pound man. It's really embarrassing that I'm telling you guys this but I feel like it's best to have some kind of support.

My ULTIMATE best case scenario goal is to get to 199. I haven't been under 200 pounds since I was 13. I may never get there, but I did get down to about 240 about 8 years ago so I know it's possible. I'm keeping my goals realistic though: 25 pounds at a time. I don't want to intimidate myself with a huge number like 190-200 pounds so I figured keeping my goals lower and more achievable will curb my potential discouragement.

I'm not dieting. No keto or whatever. I've simply told myself this needs to be a permanent lifestyle change. This needs to be how I plan to spend the rest of my life. Unfortunately....I've had to make some very difficult concessions, namely beer. Beer, as much as I love it, is really my worst enemy. I was bordering on alcoholism, spending all my money, getting depressed, and to top it off drinking beer made me crave food. So I'd binge on beer then binge on food. Cutting beer has been very hard but ultimately it will probably save my life.

I'm becoming a portion control junkie. I AM counting calories and making sure I eat normal serving sizes. I don't want to count calories for the rest of my life but I figure after a certain point I'll be able to tell just by seeing what I'm putting on my plate.

I have NOT cut out unhealthy foods, however I'm definitely growing an appreciation for certain vegetables like brussels sprouts. I think the biggest change I've made is I'm no longer drinking any calories. No milk, soda, or alcohol. I've developed a taste for cold water and I really like it and drink it all day long. I feel like this has helped curb my hunger a bit and it keeps me busy putting something down my gullet.

As for exercise, well I haven't quite gotten there yet. I'm not a fan of walking outside because I don't want people to see me and obviously I can't go to the gym until further notice. I do have a treadmill and some dumbbells and I will absolutely be working those into my daily routine soon. Health is such an important factor here and while eating "right" gets me there, exercise has to be a part of the equation. Also, I should be getting regular exercise regardless of whether I was trying to lose weight or not. Again, this is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

I've got a long road ahead of me but I just have to keep telling myself that this is for my health. Also I don't want @Adam to have to pay higher taxes for my fatass health issues.

Tl;dr Sir, this is not a Wendy's

The best thing you did is call it a lifestyle change. It’s what has to happen. When you start to count the calories you realize how much certain things do this to you. Then you start eating the sandwich stuff without the bread and skipping the rice and potatoes and adding extra vegetables instead and it becomes the new normal. Portion control is brutal when cooking for one. It’s my biggest problem.

As I’ve read through the beer thread and talk I feel like a lot of people take something that could be a great weekend treat and turn it into a daily thing that in the end makes it a less enjoyable and more of an unhealthy obsession. If you can get into the mindset of occasional use it’s a better experience and less unhealthy 

3 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

The best thing you did is call it a lifestyle change. It’s what has to happen. When you start to count the calories you realize how much certain things do this to you. Then you start eating the sandwich stuff without the bread and skipping the rice and potatoes and adding extra vegetables instead and it becomes the new normal. Portion control is brutal when cooking for one. It’s my biggest problem.

As I’ve read through the beer thread and talk I feel like a lot of people take something that could be a great weekend treat and turn it into a daily thing that in the end makes it a less enjoyable and more of an unhealthy obsession. If you can get into the mindset of occasional use it’s a better experience and less unhealthy 

Yeah ultimately I don't want to cut out beer for the rest of my life, but I was turning it into an every day thing like you said. I just need to learn how to control my cravings and do things in moderation. 

For now though, beer is just going to drag me back into the hole (Gross) and I can't go back there again if I really want to change my life. 

1 minute ago, calscuf said:

Tdawg, I know you’re gonna poo poo this but if you went vegan for 6 months and cut back the beer, maybe just drank light beer and a few IPAs/week, I could see you losing 50 pounds or more.  Obviously I’m talking about cutting out processed and fried non-meat foods, too.  It’s not like you could eat fries for 6 months.  It’s because if you do it right you simply cannot consume enough calories to keep that weight and/or not drop weight quickly.  So you don’t have to watch portions, eat as much as you want.  And since it’s not very appetizing you won’t want to eat much of the already low calorie, very healthy food. 

You will see massive health benefits beyond the weight, as well.  Blood pressure, cholesterol, penile function.

And when you go back to meat, he recipes you learn and the vegetables you kind of like can stay in the rotation and just add some healthy meats to the recipes and you’re still being healthy.

@Tank why you gotta do me like this

@tdawg87, just saw your post.

First off, good for you. Better late than never. Perhaps your goal is tougher to reach now than if you started earlier, but starting is all that matters.

Diet is all about discipline. And it sucks at first. But in time, probably sooner than you think, it will become so normal that even thinking of eating something bad becomes weird to even consider.

You already figured out the first part: calories from drinking. From here out, nothing but water. You can get away with say tea and coffee, but dont add too much sweeteners. 

And beer has to go for a bit. Drink vodka if you need to drink (dont we all). Again, relax on the mixers.

Like @arch stanton mentioned, its more about a lifestyle change. Diets are short lived. And most studies show people actually gain more weight than they lost when the diet ends. Essentially, your body will fight you when you diet. It will figure out how to store energy (fat). 

So the only time and again proven way to do it is calories burned vs intake. You can literally eat ice cream every day and lose weight. But you have to burn off the ice cream. And its better to save up for a cheat meal and do your calories on a weekly basis vs daily basis.

Good luck, dude. Everyone here is pulling for you. 

And p.s., I understand where youre shy about going outside and being seen. Body dysmorphia kind of stuff. My advice? Who gives a fk?!? Dont worry about shat other people think, man. And dont let that be the reason youre not exercising. You live in some amazing countryside. Get out and enjoy it. Make it a cheesy combo. Go find things to take pictures of, but walk around to find them...soon the walking around will seem normal, youll be feeling better. Then youll increase it. Soon, youll start jogging and doing calisthenics etc. By next spring youll be calling trout fat at spring training.

Yeah a treadmill fucking sucks. It gets boring after a week. 

I do really like playing basketball. Can go for an hour or so. I'm slow and white but I can still hit a jumper. Gonna get into that when it warms up.

I'm not even feeling lifting weights tbh. I've tried since I was a teenager to get into that crap but I just can't. But I'm aware that if I do eventually reach my goal weight I'll be sagging around like an 89 year old woman, so it may be impossible to avoid.

Running is really gay. But if I'm playing basketball I at least don't notice it as much. 

I'd do swimming but I am not taking my shirt off until I become a B cup at worst.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah a treadmill fucking sucks. It gets boring after a week. 

I do really like playing basketball. Can go for an hour or so. I'm slow and white but I can still hit a jumper. Gonna get into that when it warms up.

I'm not even feeling lifting weights tbh. I've tried since I was a teenager to get into that crap but I just can't. But I'm aware that if I do eventually reach my goal weight I'll be sagging around like an 89 year old woman, so it may be impossible to avoid.

Running is really gay. But if I'm playing basketball I at least don't notice it as much. 

I'd do swimming but I am not taking my shirt off until I become a B cup at worst.

Youre kind of screwed in that where you live w the weather, you cant get out as much as us (to swim or play basketball). But when it does warm up a bit, hell yeah, just make it a point to play basketball for like an hour a day... start like that... if you stay steady with how you eat, youll start dumping weight quicker than youd think.

10 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

With all the weight you’re carrying, I wouldn’t recommend running unless you’re interested in damaging your knees and ankles. Walking would be a much better activity for you.

4 hours ago, Tank said:

With all the weight you’re carrying, I wouldn’t recommend running unless you’re interested in damaging your knees and ankles. Walking would be a much better activity for you.

I wasn't planning on running at all until I get closer to 250. 

Walking is so boring I just can't commit to it for 20-30 minutes. 

Alexa, can I lose weight by napping all day?