• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The exercise/weight loss thread

• 2 weeks later...

I have put on about 12-15 pounds since June 1. I am exercising a lot and eating okay (diet could improve), so I know a decent portion of the gain is muscle. But I have noticed my resting heart rate has gone up steadily over the months - about three beats higher per minute now than in May. Is that purely a product of the weight gain? It causes me to question whether I am healthier now with all the lifting I am doing, or if the cardio was better for me.

On 9/21/2020 at 9:36 PM, wopphil said:

I have put on about 12-15 pounds since June 1. I am exercising a lot and eating okay (diet could improve), so I know a decent portion of the gain is muscle. But I have noticed my resting heart rate has gone up steadily over the months - about three beats higher per minute now than in May. Is that purely a product of the weight gain? It causes me to question whether I am healthier now with all the lifting I am doing, or if the cardio was better for me.

It should lower with weight lifting...

But make sure youre mixing both.

The more muscle you build, your metabolism goes up. But dont skimp on cardio. You dont have to go crazy on it. But still work it in to each workout.

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Any change @wopphil?

Not really. The amount of weight I am lifting in various exercises is mostly unchanged over the last two months. My bench press, for example, is the same now as it was two months ago (after a 50-pound gain the preceding three months). I am lifting very hard, just not seeing much of an increase. 

I will say that it looks like my body is changing for the better. Although improvement is slow, I think my body looks stronger than it did a couple months ago. So while the weights might not be going up, I think my body is still getting stronger.

One of the things I have changed up the last month is that I added a bike to my gym (and I have a treadmill on the way). So I typically jump on the bike and do a two minute interval between lifting sets. The result has been to increase the cardio in my workout pretty substantially. My heart rate is down a tic or two this month as a result. My overall workout is far more intense than just lifting alone. A typical workout might last 70 minutes or so, with 30 of that being on the bike and 40 being lifting. 

My elbows are still affecting me and somewhat limiting me. I don’t think they will ever get to the point where they don’t ache. And they could be one of the reasons why the gains have stopped. 

Any suggestions? I’d appreciate whatever advice you have. 

On 10/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, wopphil said:

Not really. The amount of weight I am lifting in various exercises is mostly unchanged over the last two months. My bench press, for example, is the same now as it was two months ago (after a 50-pound gain the preceding three months). I am lifting very hard, just not seeing much of an increase. 

I will say that it looks like my body is changing for the better. Although improvement is slow, I think my body looks stronger than it did a couple months ago. So while the weights might not be going up, I think my body is still getting stronger.

One of the things I have changed up the last month is that I added a bike to my gym (and I have a treadmill on the way). So I typically jump on the bike and do a two minute interval between lifting sets. The result has been to increase the cardio in my workout pretty substantially. My heart rate is down a tic or two this month as a result. My overall workout is far more intense than just lifting alone. A typical workout might last 70 minutes or so, with 30 of that being on the bike and 40 being lifting. 

My elbows are still affecting me and somewhat limiting me. I don’t think they will ever get to the point where they don’t ache. And they could be one of the reasons why the gains have stopped. 

Any suggestions? I’d appreciate whatever advice you have. 

You have to shock your body to see any gains. So if youve been doing essentially the same thing for months, switch it up. Dont try for max for say a month. Do ridiculous reps for awhile, for example

Then go back to working the 1-3 rep range.

Try adding 2 pounds each week.

And if youre trying to gain, eat.

Eat and eat. Dont eat crap. But really up your calories.

On 10/27/2020 at 8:20 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

You have to shock your body to see any gains. So if youve been doing essentially the same thing for months, switch it up. Dont try for max for say a month. Do ridiculous reps for awhile, for example

Then go back to working the 1-3 rep range.

Try adding 2 pounds each week.

And if youre trying to gain, eat.

Eat and eat. Dont eat crap. But really up your calories.

My bench has been stalled out for months which is frustrating. I really want that 225lb milestone. Still a ways to go. My main problem is I'm trying to cut bodyfat. I also had a more narrow grip so I widened and hope that will add some to my lift once I get used to it.

But yea I've been running 5/3/1 for a couple of years now, which does switch up the rep ranges every week. Pretty good program and very versatile.

I'm really thinking about buying a lat pulldown machine so I can incorporate more back and arm lifts. All I have is a powerrack right now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 2:38 PM, NrM said:

My bench has been stalled out for months which is frustrating. I really want that 225lb milestone. Still a ways to go. My main problem is I'm trying to cut bodyfat. I also had a more narrow grip so I widened and hope that will add some to my lift once I get used to it.

But yea I've been running 5/3/1 for a couple of years now, which does switch up the rep ranges every week. Pretty good program and very versatile.

I'm really thinking about buying a lat pulldown machine so I can incorporate more back and arm lifts. All I have is a powerrack right now.

So the powerrack is the best, most basic thing you can own. Like if you only own one thing, it would be that.

As far as body fat. How clean is your diet? Ive dropped a ton this year. But my diet is super clean (and Ive gone crazy in my training). I hit a wall burning fat the last 2-3 months.... leanest ive been in years, but went from dropping like crazy to little by little. Chasing 8-9 percent right now. Hoping to make it by christmas. 

As far as your bench max, its tricky. I was pushing 315 for awhile, but as I lost weight, I lost some strength.... habe been burning muscle instead of fat since late september. Not sure why. Diet is almost too lean... so that explains the muscle loss. But not sure why the fat has slowed down. So now im pushing about 255 incline, 285 on the flat. (I weigh 180).

I keep meaning to switch it up. Ive been going heavy for months, mean to switch it up to 65 percent for 10 reps model. Maybe do that for 6 weeks. But habits....

I lift 7 days, and do 5 MMA. Its kind of self defeating. I burn too many calories in MMA to bulk, but I cant stop lifting or ill get too lean. 

Do you just workout at home, or have a gym? If youre just at home, that will stunt your progress.

Lat pulldown machines ate great. I use the hell out of them. But for what you have now, bent over rows are awesome for your back. Also deadlifts. You can do those with your rack setup

11 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

So the powerrack is the best, most basic thing you can own. Like if you only own one thing, it would be that.

As far as body fat. How clean is your diet? Ive dropped a ton this year. But my diet is super clean (and Ive gone crazy in my training). I hit a wall burning fat the last 2-3 months.... leanest ive been in years, but went from dropping like crazy to little by little. Chasing 8-9 percent right now. Hoping to make it by christmas. 

As far as your bench max, its tricky. I was pushing 315 for awhile, but as I lost weight, I lost some strength.... habe been burning muscle instead of fat since late september. Not sure why. Diet is almost too lean... so that explains the muscle loss. But not sure why the fat has slowed down. So now im pushing about 255 incline, 285 on the flat. (I weigh 180).

I keep meaning to switch it up. Ive been going heavy for months, mean to switch it up to 65 percent for 10 reps model. Maybe do that for 6 weeks. But habits....

I lift 7 days, and do 5 MMA. Its kind of self defeating. I burn too many calories in MMA to bulk, but I cant stop lifting or ill get too lean. 

Do you just workout at home, or have a gym? If youre just at home, that will stunt your progress.

Lat pulldown machines ate great. I use the hell out of them. But for what you have now, bent over rows are awesome for your back. Also deadlifts. You can do those with your rack setup

Damn 8-9% bodyfat is extremely low. And lifting 7 days a week while also doing MMA is insane. You weren't kidding when you said you became addicted.

Do you take a lot of supplements?

35 minutes ago, NrM said:

Damn 8-9% bodyfat is extremely low. And lifting 7 days a week while also doing MMA is insane. You weren't kidding when you said you became addicted.

Do you take a lot of supplements?

Nothing too crazy. Protein, creatine. Multivitamin, fish oil, fiber pills. Too lazy and cheap to add anything else... im real bad at remembering to take anything, so dont want to waste money. 

I have to premake all my shakes for the week or else i wont remember to drink them. Creatine before the gym, all the pills when I brush my teeth at night. Anything else Id end up wasting money on.

Going back to your bench. Do you have dumbells too? Try switching to that for awhile maybe. And grip wise, for me, I spent years and years wide grip. Then younger, smarter guys clued me in to bringing my hands closer in. Took a step backwards briefly, then it started to work. 

Also, form wise. Sounds funny, but its the golden rule for every movement. Take your shoulder blades and put them in your back pockets. Again, sounds funny. But that it the form you want for everything.

For the next month to 6 weeks, focus on 65 percent of your one rep max for 10 reps, 5 sets. One set only of max. 6 weeks from now you should see a difference. 

Also, find a weight you can rep 5 times. Lower the weight to your chest, keep it there 5 seconds, explode up. 5 reps. That will be harder than it sounds, but will pay off in time. And if you have dumbells, try single arm reps..... 

11 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Nothing too crazy. Protein, creatine. Multivitamin, fish oil, fiber pills. Too lazy and cheap to add anything else... im real bad at remembering to take anything, so dont want to waste money. 

I have to premake all my shakes for the week or else i wont remember to drink them. Creatine before the gym, all the pills when I brush my teeth at night. Anything else Id end up wasting money on.

Going back to your bench. Do you have dumbells too? Try switching to that for awhile maybe. And grip wise, for me, I spent years and years wide grip. Then younger, smarter guys clued me in to bringing my hands closer in. Took a step backwards briefly, then it started to work. 

Also, form wise. Sounds funny, but its the golden rule for every movement. Take your shoulder blades and put them in your back pockets. Again, sounds funny. But that it the form you want for everything.

For the next month to 6 weeks, focus on 65 percent of your one rep max for 10 reps, 5 sets. One set only of max. 6 weeks from now you should see a difference. 

I only have one dumbbell where you can add plates to them. Maybe I'll buy another one. I incorporate Incline and Narrow grip bench into my routine.  

this is basically the routine I run for upper body lifts. It's the simplest strength template.

https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

I just recently switched to wide grip, so I'm going to stick to that for now since my more narrow wasn't getting me anywhere.

Also, find a weight you can rep 5 times. Lower the weight to your chest, keep it there 5 seconds, explode up. 5 reps. That will be harder than it sounds, but will pay off in time. And if you have dumbells, try single arm reps..... 

I actually like that. I think I might incorporate after I finish the main lift to increase volume.

On 11/13/2020 at 1:28 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

Is it bad to have too much variety? I never do the same workout twice in a row. For example, on Monday I might do flat bench press (6 sets), then incline dumbbells (4 or 5 sets), then my fly machine (4 sets), and then on Saturday I might do flat dumbbells (5 or 6 sets), incline barbell (4), and push-ups (50-75 total, 5-8 sets). I don’t have a consistent routine, but I hit my muscles very hard each workout. 

Does creatine do much? It has been 20 years since I have used it. I felt it gave me more endurance back then, but also made me feel kind of sick. 

4 hours ago, wopphil said:

Is it bad to have too much variety? I never do the same workout twice in a row. For example, on Monday I might do flat bench press (6 sets), then incline dumbbells (4 or 5 sets), then my fly machine (4 sets), and then on Saturday I might do flat dumbbells (5 or 6 sets), incline barbell (4), and push-ups (50-75 total, 5-8 sets). I don’t have a consistent routine, but I hit my muscles very hard each workout. 

Does creatine do much? It has been 20 years since I have used it. I felt it gave me more endurance back then, but also made me feel kind of sick. 

Nope. Variety is actually the best way to do it. Keeps your muscles from adapting.

Thats the problem with "diets", too. Your body will afjust to whatever you do to it. Eventually you wont get the results anymore. So muscle confusion is the key.

As far as creatine. I really dont know. I could be taking it as a placebo. But its the only supp that still is supported by most.... whereas the rest has been found to be BS after awhile.

Protein is the king of everything. Its tough, but you want essentially 1.5 grams of protein a day, per pound you weigh. And remember, you build from recovery, not the gym part...thats my worst habit. Not enough rest, and not enough calories. So Im having trouble keeping size on while I chase my bodyfat goal.

But I still suggest to eat for health. Nobody here is trying to become a fitness model. So pay attention to your heart and cholesterol over your physique

One more thing ill add. Its gross, but you get used to it. Egg whites. Raw. I drink a carton every morning... raw. Not because its healthier that way... but because i get 50 grams of protein in like 30 seconds. No cleanup. And they cost like 3 bucks a carton.

Also. Ive mentioned it before. Look into a heart rate monitor for your workouts. When you see hoe many calories you burn in an hour.... and lets say an hour of lifting, with no cardio, you burn 500, maybe 6. Then you go to mcdonalds... and see that the egg white sandwich is like 300 calories.... and the meal, with hash browns and OJ is like 5-700 calories.... for that one meal.... and you eat throughout the day, but only workout once.... 

That will clean up your diet more than anything.

Over the last three months my diet has gone to hell as I was dealing with my Mother's cascading health problems. I just wanted comfort foods that I grew up with, a way to shut out the inevitable. That time is now officially passed and today is a restart of a better diet lifestyle. I might even have to make use of the damn bowflex that has been sitting around gathering dust for years. 

On 11/16/2020 at 10:35 AM, Blarg said:

Over the last three months my diet has gone to hell as I was dealing with my Mother's cascading health problems. I just wanted comfort foods that I grew up with, a way to shut out the inevitable. That time is now officially passed and today is a restart of a better diet lifestyle. I might even have to make use of the damn bowflex that has been sitting around gathering dust for years. 

Get it!

The situation with your mom is totally understandable. And again, sorry you had to deal with that my friend.

But good for you for getting back to it. Youre never going to be a male model. So dont waste time trying to develop abs or all the other silly things like that.

For diet, eat right. Doesnt matter how. Keto, low carb, whatever guidelines work best for you. Just try to watch your calories, and avoid sugar.

As far as exercise. In oder of importance, 1. Cardio / endurance. 2. Flexibility. 3. Strength. 4. Size.

Size is the least important. Thats for young guys and juicers. For you, just focus on being healthy.

Heres the first challenge for everyone on here. 50/50/50 challenge. 50 pushups, situps and squats everyday for 50 days straight. No exceptions. Can do them in sets of 5, all throughout the day.

Start there. Start with discipline to make yourself exercise everyday.

14 hours ago, NrM said:

@ten ocho recon scout you ever worry about your testosterone levels as you age? 

Also, do you know any law enforcement officers on the juice?  I feel like a good majority of them are on it, which is understandable.

Lol, I absolutely do. And I know mine has totally dipped with age. Aside from gearing up, theres nothing I know of to stop it.

As far as guys doing it, Im sure theres plenty. I dont know of any where I work. If they are, theyre doing it wrong. (Not many bulky dudes at my spot)

I know occasionally over the counter stuff comes out that works. I did some stuff called ACL tren back in the day. Was legal, was amazing, then banned. Wasnt a steroid, but close enough. Could grab it at any supp shop for awhile. So im sure if there are places that have stuff guys will find it. Im just too leary to trust any supps.... i think 99 percent of them are full of shit

I know there are legal testosterone spots now, but not too sure how it works. Like, do you need a doctor to send you there first? But I know you can get actual shots of test, legally. As far as how much, i dont know. For it to actually build, you need lots and lots. I think its more for sex drive than lifting.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Talk to a doctor before taking any testosterone supplements. According to my doctor once you start you are shackled for life, your own system shuts down and doesn't supply any and it can be permanent. 

Plus your balls shrink 😦

17 hours ago, Blarg said:

Talk to a doctor before taking any testosterone supplements. According to my doctor once you start you are shackled for life, your own system shuts down and doesn't supply any and it can be permanent. 

Yeah, lots of juicers have that problem. Also has cancer risks....

I dont know enough about it to say whether its worth it or not. Guess it depends on how low your test is, and what youre trying to do.