• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dodgers Offered Kershaw $300M

SoWhat

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/dodgers-offered-kershaw-300mm.html

"The Dodgers offered Clayton Kershaw a contract valued at approximately $300MM some time this season, ESPN's Buster Olney reports. The offer was "essentially a lifetime contract" that a source with knowledge of the discussions described as "an A-Rod deal."

Sources say that the two sides weren't able to reach an agreement, with Kershaw citing uncertainty about making such a large commitment and about discussing his contract during the season. However, the progress thus far indicates to some who are aware of the discussions that a deal could be completed this winter. The eventual contract may be "more conservative in length" than the Dodgers' offer and would allocate a significant amount of money toward a charity of Kershaw's choice."

Edited by SoWhat

Hmmmmm.....on the one hand, he's a beast, and only 25.He's the best pitcher in baseball.

On the other, his arm has seen more innings than most guys his age. 5 years from now he may be 'very good', not 'kershaw'.

I think its cool though that he wanst money donated to a charitt though in lieu of payment. He seems like a genuine good guy.

Hmmmmm.....on the one hand, he's a beast, and only 25.He's the best pitcher in baseball.

On the other, his arm has seen more innings than most guys his age. 5 years from now he may be 'very good', not 'kershaw'.

I think its cool though that he wanst money donated to a charitt though in lieu of payment. He seems like a genuine good guy.

A technicality, but I doubt he the money to charity goes directly to the charity.  It's recorded as paid to him, then he gets the charitable deduction for income tax purposes.  That way some of it helps him avoid State and Federal taxes.

Maybe a contract like this will help us understand Trout's value, and put us in a position of making him an "intelligent" offer? 

Maybe a contract like this will help us understand Trout's value, and put us in a position of making him an "intelligent" offer? 

I looked up on BR and noticed what looked like league minimum salary for his pre-arb years.  Maybe he is pissed and gonna test the FA market, a/la Trout?

Let's do some basic math.  $300 million/$25 million per season =12 seasons of guaranteed money.  That would take Kershaw until approx. age 37.  What is there not to like about this deal?  One could nitpick and say a 12-year deal (or 10 years at $30 mil per, whatever the length turns out to be) could screw him a bit if the average pay to the best available pitcher continues to skyrocket, or even a small issue like raises for cost of inflation.  The flip side is he gets long-term security at a premium, current price that protects him from injury or loss of skill.  I see an argument for both sides but would sign that deal in a heartbeat.

That's a lot of money for a player that only plays every five days. Dodgers are spending their money foolishly. From the cost of buying the team to the huge money they are spending on players that are not worth the money I think the dodgers are headed for a collapse.

so pretty much where the angels are at right now then.

If Trout continues to be an 8 WAR+ player he will land well more than $300 if he reaches FA at te age of 27.

I'm not so sure WAR will dictate his salary. He's going to have to produce more offensively to get that type of money. Which I think he's capable of doing.

35+ HR's. 130+ RBI's while batting third in the lineup.

Name one current starting pitch who has been very good or better for 10 straight seasons.

I can't think of any. King Felix has had 6 straight seasons with a sub-3.50 ERA. Cliff Lee has come close, but he's had a few injury-riddled seasons along the way.

I'm not so sure WAR will dictate his salary. He's going to have to produce more offensively to get that type of money. Which I think he's capable of doing.

35+ HR's. 130+ RBI's while batting third in the lineup.

how you haven't been banned after all these years of trolling is amazing to me.