• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dodgers Offered Kershaw $300M

SoWhat

As has been stated even the best pitchers pitch only every 5th day and only 7 innings at that. Not worth more than $10 million.

I agree with the basis that position players should be valued more than pitchers but 10 million a year for a guy like Kershaw is a joke. He's on his own level of dominance right now. 

I'm not sure I would sign a $300 million deal over 12 years either. 

Frank McCourt might be gone but the new Dodgers ownership is just as reckless with their money.  Nobody will want Kershaw's contract via trade.  That likely means (1) Kershaw is stuck with the Dodgers for the duration, (2) the team might be headed for years of failure, much like the Angels, and (3) the team could be headed for bankruptcy if they keep spending money at this rate.

Before anybody says that bankruptcy is unlikely this time around, don't forget the Dodgers are counting on $6 billion in revenue from Time Warner over 25 years.  If that company is operated anything like their cable TV business, then it's pretty much a sinking ship.

Zero chance Dodgers would ever go bankrupt under Guggenheim. The Guggenheim Group is worth a ridiculous amount of money. This is why they overpaid for the franchise and brought on a huge payroll. These owners want to win at all costs because they can. Even if Guggenheim miraculously were to run out of money, MLB will back the club.

Who cares if Kershaw gets $300m. If the Dodgers feel he is worth it on and off the field, then go for it. By signing star players they aren't only playing for their talents on the field, but also what they bring to strengthen the franchise's brand.

Zero chance Dodgers would ever go bankrupt under Guggenheim. The Guggenheim Group is worth a ridiculous amount of money. This is why they overpaid for the franchise and brought on a huge payroll. These owners want to win at all costs because they can. Even if Guggenheim miraculously were to run out of money, MLB will back the club.

Doesn't matter how much money "Guggenheim" is worth.  They don't have pooled assets like a regular corporation does, and the partnership is a subsidiary organized as Guggenheim Baseball Management.  So if the Dodgers need cash, they can't automatically tap into Guggenheim's other business ventures. 

I'm not really worried about the Dodgers. They aren't going to go bankrupt. Their TV deal will deliver baring a complete catastrophe in fan interest, an economic collapse or an act of Congress allowing folks to pay for their cable bill a la carte.

There's reason to be concerned for all teams' TV deals.  Look how much television has changed in recent times.  DirecTV has only been operational since 1994. The "normal" means of transmission and advertising are going to change dramatically in the next 25 years. 

The legacy cable and satellite providers are going to get their asses kicked by Google, Apple, and Amazon when it comes to advertising and subscription revenue. 

Doesn't matter how much money "Guggenheim" is worth. They don't have pooled assets like a regular corporation does, and the partnership is a subsidiary organized as Guggenheim Baseball Management. So if the Dodgers need cash, they can't automatically tap into Guggenheim's other business ventures.

Good point.

I think the dodgers are fine on money (right now). But theplayers they have locked up will need to be replaced before their contracts are up.

The main point I think people keep missing is that the partnership that bought the team isn't a bunch of guys from dodgerswin.com that won the lotto and are all about glory. Its a bunch of rich people that purchased an asset to becoming more rich...

Its like target saying 'screw it, lets lower profit to totally dominate other stores'. Its not going to happen. The ownership wants to win, yes, but more importantly they want to make money.

I have no idea what their profit margin is. But I think its safe to assume after locking up kershaw, they won't be in on huge deals for another two years or so (when their big contracts are coming to an end). Supposedly they want to extend hanley. Sure, I can see thst too.

After doing so (hanley and kershaw), they're payroll is going to be suject to huge taxes. Maybe they're fine with that, but if its true the media deal gives them 250 a year, and payroll+tax are something like 330 a year.....yeah, they'll still make money on merchandise, but enough to make the shareholders happy? We shall see.

Good point.

I think the dodgers are fine on money (right now). But theplayers they have locked up will need to be replaced before their contracts are up.

The main point I think people keep missing is that the partnership that bought the team isn't a bunch of guys from dodgerswin.com that won the lotto and are all about glory. Its a bunch of rich people that purchased an asset to becoming more rich...

Its like target saying 'screw it, lets lower profit to totally dominate other stores'. Its not going to happen. The ownership wants to win, yes, but more importantly they want to make money.

I have no idea what their profit margin is. But I think its safe to assume after locking up kershaw, they won't be in on huge deals for another two years or so (when their big contracts are coming to an end). Supposedly they want to extend hanley. Sure, I can see thst too.

After doing so (hanley and kershaw), they're payroll is going to be suject to huge taxes. Maybe they're fine with that, but if its true the media deal gives them 250 a year, and payroll+tax are something like 330 a year.....yeah, they'll still make money on merchandise, but enough to make the shareholders happy? We shall see.

Most owners don't own teams to make money. If they wanted to make money there are far better investments than sports franchises. A lot of these guys are smart and have better things to do to make more money. The ones that do make money are obvious and run things on the cheap, Loria, Sarver, etc.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6874079/

Edited by eaterfan

Disagree eater. NOBODY invests that kind of coin not wanting to make something from it. Nintendo didn't buy the mariners to help sell video games. Disney didn't purchase us and the ducks to not make money off the brand.

That said, it also helps tax wise reporting a loss to offset other income. So thsts something the dogs owners might view as a reason to spend big and not profit.