• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Callaspo Traded for A's Grant Green

No one seems concerned about a smart GM like Beane giving up on a prospect?

We lost last night because of bad defense at 3b, which is where I think the angels are probably gonna play him if he ever makes it there.  So far I've heard he's poor defensively, strikes out a lot, doesn't walk - I mean all of these attributes fits the angels mold perfectly, but that's not a good thing.

I'm not sure why u guys are excited over this guy.

We lost last night because of bad defense at 3b, which is where I think the angels are probably gonna play him if he ever makes it there.  So far I've heard he's poor defensively, strikes out a lot, doesn't walk - I mean all of these attributes fits the angels mold perfectly, but that's not a good thing.

You are aware that the major leagues are filled with All Stars that Beane has traded away, right?

MLB has Green ranked as the A's #3 top prospect.  He just missed the top 100 MLB prospect list.  Still, he's probably within the top 120.  Not too shabby.

Like that we picked up some young talent and got salary relief.

Now time to figure out what to do with Aybar and HK.

When the other team scores 14 runs, we didn't lose because of bad defense at 3B.  Unless the 3B made six errors leading to twelve unearned runs.

25 years old tho....   Still a solid return on Callaspo.   They moved 5 mil in salary.

We moved some salary, that's a plus. Green is showing he might have a much higher ceiling for power than Callaspo, something we haven't had in a third baseman for quite some time. After some grooming this offseason and spring next year, he just might be a serviceable 3rd baseman. Surely couldn't be any worse defensively at third than Callaspo. Also, it definitely gives us some options as to where he can play. Overall, this looks to be a fairly decent trade, for us anyways.

He's Not Callaspo. I don't think many on AW would care if Green was a box of rocks. It would still be Not Callaspo.

Fangraphs thinks the Angels will try him at 3B. Of course if the Angels trade Kendrick, they'll try him at 2B first. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/as-angels-engage-in-intra-division-challenge-trad/

It appears to me he is more likely to be a prototypical type third baseman, 6' something with pop and room to grow. 

Even though Howie and Aybar have been brought up in trade talks, and this group would like to see it happen, I wouldn't look for that to happen anytime soon. Howie is hitting in the 300 territory and Aybar is a gold glove SS, both under friendly contracts. I don't see Dipoto taking apart this team like some of you suggest he might. A couple smart moves, like the one we've just witnessed, coupled with a bullpen overhaul in the offseason should be about what I would expect from the brass. 

Maybe we make a splash signing of a SP, so Arte can feel good about our chances.   :)  

From BA:

Green has had no issues at the plate since Oakland signed him for $2.75 million as the 13th overall pick in 2009, batting .302/.348/.461 in the minors. But he has journeyed all over the diamond in a quest to find a defensive home. He started as a shortstop, moved to center field in mid-2011 and played five different positions in 2012 before settling on second base.

Scouting Report: Green is a pure hitter who can recognize and square up a variety of pitches. He has an easy, line-drive stroke and makes hard contact to all fields. The A’s looked to get him to drive more balls by widening his stance after the 2011 season, and while that helped, his power still won’t be better than average. Moving back to the middle of the infield, Green looked more comfortable than he had through his series of position changes. His arm was a question mark at shortstop but is fine at second base, and he has good hands, enough range and solid instincts for turning the double play. He’s an average runner.

This is what concerns me. If his arm is a question mark at short, how will it be better at third?

Storm usually isn't negative, in fact he is one of the most nearsighted fans on the board when it comes to his team, which is ok. I think he intended that as a sarcastic jab at the guys that always post the stats to former Angels having success elsewhere.

Nothing wrong with being near sighted if you have prescription glasses!

the post I made was critical of the guys on this board you blasts a trade after hindsight (like Haren's trade).  Just about everyone on this board loves this trade.  However, they will all forget that if Callaspo does well for the A's and Green doesn't do anything.  Those same people who are loving this trade will be calling for Dipoto's head if that happens.

Hindsight is great!

Storm usually isn't negative, in fact he is one of the most nearsighted fans on the board when it comes to his team, which is ok. I think he intended that as a sarcastic jab at the guys that always post the stats to former Angels having success elsewhere.

As was mine  ;)

It appears to me he is more likely to be a prototypical type third baseman, 6' something with pop and room to grow. 

Even though Howie and Aybar have been brought up in trade talks, and this group would like to see it happen, I wouldn't look for that to happen anytime soon. Howie is hitting in the 300 territory and Aybar is a gold glove SS, both under friendly contracts. I don't see Dipoto taking apart this team like some of you suggest he might. A couple smart moves, like the one we've just witnessed, coupled with a bullpen overhaul in the offseason should be about what I would expect from the brass. 

Maybe we make a splash signing of a SP, so Arte can feel good about our chances.   :)  

This makes sense to me.  Of the Callaspo/Kendrick/Aybar troika of trade-chip infielders, Callaspo was the one we could most afford to trade. 

Beane has traded away a lot of prospects and young players who aren't fully developed who turn out to be really good players. Eithier was good for several years, Carlos and Gio Gonzalez were both traded away.

If we're just trying to shed salary then it's a good trade for me.  Otherwise it's just 'meh' at best.

In my mind we traded a proven MLB 3B for some kid that doesn't really play any position very well.  Arm too weak for SS, but ok for 2B.  I would have liked the trade better if we got a pitching prospect rather than a MIF prospect.

I don't understand why many here like this trade so much.  I get that there's some Callaspo hate, and there are those who want to blow up the team just to see what happens.

Not saying Callaspo is a great 3B, but he's a MLB starting 3B.

I hear people saying, "Callaspo is an A's type of player," well what does that mean?  He gets on base and plays decent defense?

Whatever.