• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Trade Targets

18 minutes ago, Trendon said:

the best thing for the team arguably is to do some buying and selling.

trade all the rentals for prospects, and then trade prospects for long-term pieces.

I'd love to see another trade that we don't see coming, a la the Marsh for O'Hoppe deal.

I’ll once again rehash my disappointment that they didn’t move Ward, Rengifo and/or Sandoval/Suarez last year. I get that each one of them were “exactly the player we needed” for 2023, but they all felt like great ‘sell-high’ candidates, even if they were turning a corner. It was a seller’s market last deadline, teams were paying well and interested in controllable talent. I feel they would’ve gotten 2-3 MLB/near-MLB ready guys for each one of those, and those guys may have really helped out at IF, OF, RP this season, or enabled us to flip another trade this past winter. 

Not sure any of them would be worth dealing this year with how their stock has fallen…I don’t know if there’s another Marsh for O’Hoppe but maybe a a Rengifo or Sandoval for some pieces.

2 hours ago, Torridd said:

One person that comes to mind is Ward. I don't how people will feel about that. Would you trade Ward, Walsh and some others for Stroman? Is that too little?

I wish you were the GM of the Angels and i could listen to you calling other teams on speaker phone..    "Yeah we're willing to give you Ward and Walsh for Stroman"  and just hear nothing but laughter followed by the phone being hung up. 

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

the best thing for the team arguably is to do some buying and selling.

trade all the rentals for prospects, and then trade prospects for long-term pieces.

I'd love to see another trade that we don't see coming, a la the Marsh for O'Hoppe deal.

Yes, this.  I think if we were looking to add talent, it would probably be something akin to that deal, where we trade good young talent for other good young talent.  

But to that end, quite frankly, I am not sure who we would be looking at, as absolutely nobody had a Marsh for O'Hoppe deal on their radar.  The question moreso is, what areas would we look to improve?

We (hopefully) have both our SS and C of the future already entrenched.  We could always use more pitching (who doesn't).  Maybe some corner IF/OF? 

19 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yes, this.  I think if we were looking to add talent, it would probably be something akin to that deal, where we trade good young talent for other good young talent.  

But to that end, quite frankly, I am not sure who we would be looking at, as absolutely nobody had a Marsh for O'Hoppe deal on their radar.  The question moreso is, what areas would we look to improve?

We (hopefully) have both our SS and C of the future already entrenched.  We could always use more pitching (who doesn't).  Maybe some corner IF/OF? 

No such thing as entrenched with this club. Even Trout is proof.  

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I’ll once again rehash my disappointment that they didn’t move Ward, Rengifo and/or Sandoval/Suarez last year. I get that each one of them were “exactly the player we needed” for 2023, but they all felt like great ‘sell-high’ candidates, even if they were turning a corner. It was a seller’s market last deadline, teams were paying well and interested in controllable talent. I feel they would’ve gotten 2-3 MLB/near-MLB ready guys for each one of those, and those guys may have really helped out at IF, OF, RP this season, or enabled us to flip another trade this past winter. 

Not sure any of them would be worth dealing this year with how their stock has fallen…I don’t know if there’s another Marsh for O’Hoppe but maybe a a Rengifo or Sandoval for some pieces.

they don't have the same type of value, but that's why I'd be open to trading Drury and Estevez.

With 1.5 years of control and a depressed market, they'll have significant value.

34 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think another infielder makes sense, one that could either go to 2B or 3B depending on how the pieces fall around them.

As far as who they'd trade to get such a player, maybe they do the reverse O'Hoppe deal with Quero? Now that they have catching depth in O'Hoppe and Thaiss, maybe they trade Quero to a rebuilding or up-and-coming team that needs catching?

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

they don't have the same type of value, but that's why I'd be open to trading Drury and Estevez.

With 1.5 years of control and a depressed market, they'll have significant value.

At this point I’d listen on basically any of them.

Deep down, I hope they win nearly every game up to the deadline and buy, tbh. If they hang in there, Trout comes back, O’Hoppe comes back, Neto is back, Drury comes back, Rendon is maybe decent in whatever amount of games he plays….I still like our chances. 

Watching Ohtani last few games…I don’t think he wants to get traded. We’ve come too far and we’re not hopelessly out of it. And if we do fall short and Ohtani walks, I don’t have any issue with them rebuilding this winter. Can still sell off guys then.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

At this point I’d listen on basically any of them.

Deep down, I hope they win nearly every game up to the deadline and buy, tbh. If they hang in there, Trout comes back, O’Hoppe comes back, Neto is back, Drury comes back, Rendon is maybe decent in whatever amount of games he plays….I still like our chances. 

Watching Ohtani last few games…I don’t think he wants to get traded. We’ve come too far and we’re not hopelessly out of it. And if we do fall short and Ohtani walks, I don’t have any issue with them rebuilding this winter. Can still sell off guys then.

I read the MLB injury update for the angels. They had O’hoppe, Trout, Bachman, Devinski, Adell, Joyce, and Suarez all due back in August. That’s quite the infusion of talent, granted they probably will need time to get ramped back up after missing a decent amount of time due to injury.

1 minute ago, TroutField said:

I read the MLB injury update for the angels. They had O’hoppe, Trout, Bachman, Devinski, Adell, Joyce, and Suarez all due back in August. That’s quite the infusion of talent, granted they probably will need time to get ramped back up after missing a decent amount of time due to injury.

But....but.....Rendon....

~ArkyAngelsFan~

34 minutes ago, TroutField said:

So I've been out of it for several weeks, been dealing with a lot at home so haven't watched almost any games in a bit.

What happened to Adell?

6 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

So I've been out of it for several weeks, been dealing with a lot at home so haven't watched almost any games in a bit.

What happened to Adell?

Apparently a strained oblique right before the all star break, in that SD series. Right when we needed him most, with the Trout DL stint

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

I like the steal last year of Thor for Moniak.

I think its a tremendous mistake but IF they are going down the road of a desperation run to try to get a WC or keep Ohtani, it cant be half measures, its go big or go home.
One guy inst enough, no matter who he is.  We have the two best in the game and were still floundering back at 500.

8 hours ago, tomsred said:

That was a great one in retrospect.  Moniak has been an impact player, and we probably would not be at .500 without him at this point.

7 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

And also getting a decent OF prospect in Jadiel Sanchez in that same trade.

Pitching is at a premium at the deadline….decent starters are really valuable and tons of relievers get moved….

10 hours ago, TroutField said:

Apparently a strained oblique right before the all star break, in that SD series. Right when we needed him most, with the Trout DL stint

Not only is that classic us (as you said, should have been his time to shine), but how many of those (oblique strains) have we had so far this year?

8 hours ago, tomsred said:

That was a great one in retrospect.  Moniak has been an impact player, and we probably would not be at .500 without him at this point.

I'm not holding my breath that Moniak is legit. And that he keeps this up.

But damn has he been fun to watch.

Food for thought on what could have been. Adell and Marsh and Walsh were supposed to be our core. I think everyone would have been let down if say Adell merely put up Renfroes numbers. And Marsh merely put up Drury's. After his all star campaign a lot on here envisioned Walsh doing what we see Moniak doing.

None of those guys are putting up all star numbers for us this year.

But think how much different this team would have looked the past 3 years had things shaken out that way....

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

We have eleven days to make this decision but if they are playing well and only a couple games out then sure go for it. But buy guys that are controlled beyond this year. 

I'd honestly be ok with rentals, if the price isn't too steep.

If Ohtani leaves, were all going to be hungover for a bit... and viewing the team as it is right now, the org itself is going to be very bad without him too.

If we can aquire a shot in the arm for a decent price and at least end the Ohtani years with a bang, that's better than not doing it I think

33 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Pitching is at a premium at the deadline….decent starters are really valuable and tons of relievers get moved….

Starting pitching is critical. Quality starts keep the team in games and reduce the need for excessive bullpen use. And if they can go past six inning it's a bonus. 

Remember, Detmers, Canning and Sandoval are all relatively young. And never even been close to being in pressure games of a playoff chase. Neither has Ohtani, for that matter. Ironically, Anderson is the only starter who has. 

So if the Angels are realistically in the wild card hunt maybe getting a veteran is the priority. Preferably with playoff experience, who could add stability and leadership. Probably going to be a rental type, but if the focus is on going all in then go all in. Within reason that is. 

Candidates? There are about half a dozen scattered around. I'll think it out more the closer we get to the deadline and see how the current rotation is doing by then. 

Michael Lorenzen actually could be a fairly cheap acquisition to bring in...obviously he isn't a huge impact, but he'd really bridge the gap between Anderson and Barria and Silseth and long-relief types. Insurance if the young starters are shaky, bullpen depth if Joyce, Bachman, etc. can't keep contributing. All-Star jokes aside, he's been very solid for Detroit and being a local guy who played here last year, would bring some energy and familiarity to the team.

Detroit could be interested in MLB-ready guys who may be getting squeezed out of Anaheim, such as Tucker Davidson, Jared Walsh, Luis Rengifo, Michael Stefanic, Livan Soto...which could in turn open 40-man spots up for any waiver claims that develop in the aftermath of the deadline. 

Seems like one of those marginal upgrades that could pay dividends just from a reinforcement POV, sort of like Moustakas at 1B/3B.

Edited by totdprods

Baseball Trade Values says a 1:1 trade of Giolito for Sam Bachman would be pretty square. 

That's what it looks like to be buyers.  Give up years of control of Bachman for a few months of Giolito.

I, for one, would be reluctant to do this, absent an unlikely run these next few weeks that vaults us right back into WC contention.

Just now, Capital_Dave said:

Baseball Trade Values says a 1:1 trade of Giolito for Sam Bachman would be pretty square. 

That's what it looks like to be buyers.  Give up years of control of Bachman for a few months of Giolito.

I, for one, would be reluctant to do this, absent an unlikely run these next few weeks that vaults us right back into WC contention.

I’m not as high about Bachman as some, so I would consider this, especially if the Angels and Giolito were amenable to a long-term deal. 

I don’t want the Angel to do it, but I have a weird feeling someone is gonna pick up Lance Lynn and he’s gonna put up good innings for the rest of the year.

On 7/18/2023 at 8:44 AM, Swordsman78 said:

They are in need of so many pieces.  Probably need a flame throwing closer and a Starting Pitcher most of all.

Why would they need a duplicate of Estevez? He has an ERA+ of 210 with 21 saves for a team that can rarely take advantage of a closer. 

A rock solid Starting Pitcher would be great or even a quality setup man, pushing lesser relievers down to lower leverage outings. Innings 6-8 is where the Angels are the most vulnerable.