• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Trade Targets

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

3.3 era since 2019. 30% k rate and 1 more year of control after this year. Closer experience. 

His FIP is solid too - more so than Jacob Webb’s. I’d kinda see it as just adding another Jacob Webb-type arm to the mix at worst, and that may fill the spot occupied by the revolving door of Wantz, Reyes, Weiss. Also helpful to have that revolving door though, and they may be able to aim higher. Barlow would be a good add if cheap though.

Mentioned Michael Lorenzen earlier, but Seth Lugo would also be a good option to kick the tires on...someone else who could help either stabilize back-of-rotation, swingman, or relief. Expiring contract and solid numbers. Maybe Escobar has some value to another team with his option for next year as a rental flip to someone?

Put some trust in Trout, Drury, Adell, Rendon (yeah, I know), O'Hoppe, Bachman, Joyce, maybe Suarez and Devenski, and find ways to strengthen the team until they return.

Add something like Barlow or a similar decent reliever, Lorenzen and/or Lugo to help bridge the gap until then. 

Get relievers and shorten the game. I don’t know a realistic way to strengthen the line up without overpaying for a catcher with a good bat to replace Wallach. I don’t know if any RHH 1st baseman to platoon with Moustakas. Maybe you can find a rental guy that fits that description that can be acquired for Rengifo. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Get relievers and shorten the game. I don’t know a realistic way to strengthen the line up without overpaying for a catcher with a good bat to replace Wallach. I don’t know if any RHH 1st baseman to platoon with Moustakas. Maybe you can find a rental guy that fits that description that can be acquired for Rengifo. 

Yeah, I think stacking the bullpen depth and maybe adding a durable, effective starter are the best routes to go. I just don't see any clear fits for the offense that guarantee a big upgrade, at least with what's available. 

Repeating the Escobar/Moustakas trades, or the Atlanta deadline where they acquired Pederson, Rosario, Soler, and Duvall all for the OF in short order, and applying that to the bullpen/rotation depth seems doable and impactful. 

I've tried to think of a way of cashing out Rengifo or Ward for an impact rental bat and rental arm to replace them, seeing as how they could then be replaced internally or via FA in winter, but haven't seen a clear fit. Ward for Teoscar Hernandez and Paul Sewald? Ward+ for Flaherty and O'Neill/Carlson/Hicks? Ward to NYY for relievers? HIs recent hitting has walked me back from that though.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m probably inclined to keep Ward. I might run with 5 outfielders when everyone is healthy. But in order to do that you almost have to trade a Rengifo for an arm. 

Yeah, I like Ward. Think his first-half struggles are partially attributable to pressure, trying to be the perfect lead-off guy for Troutani, maybe putting too focus on improving defense instead of maintaining offense...his control gives him quite a bit of value still. I think he's one of the few guys who could be exchanged for good value now, at the relative height of his value, and somewhat replaced (be it internally or in winter) at good value. A 2024 OF that consisted of Trout, a re-signed Renfroe (I like him), and Moniak/Adams/Adell would be okay with me.

Rengifo for a solid RP or swingman-esque SP like Lugo? Lorenzen? seems like a good deal, especially if Drury and Rendon return soon...he could be squeezed out soon and might be squeezed come 2024 as well.

I don't know that we have the prospects to do it, but landing Flaherty and yes, I'll go there again, Goldschmidt could shore up the rotation and offense real quick. 

I dunno...
Rengifo, Jeremiah Jackson, Jadiel Sanchez for Lugo (fair according to the simulator)

Ward, Bachman, Davidson, Walsh (the last two mostly for clearing 40-man spots) for Flaherty, Goldschmidt (this is a big overpay according to THE SIMULATOR)

Rotation: Ohtani, Detmers, Canning, Flaherty, Sandoval, Anderson
Bullpen: Lugo, Barria, Loup, Soriano, Webb, Moore, Estevez - Silseth, Joyce, Herget, Wantz, Devenski, Suarez in the wings/depth
September Lineup: O'Hoppe C, Goldschmidt 1B, Drury 2B, Neto SS, Rendon 3B, Moniak LF, Trout CF, Renfroe RF, Ohtani DH
September Bench: Thaiss C, Moustakas 1B/3B, Escobar 2B/3B, Adell/Adams/Phillips (yes, srsly) OF depth, Velazquez/Soto/Fletcher/Cabbage/Stefanic IF depth

That's, if healthy, a really deep, well-balanced club with a lot of versatility and coverage across multiple points.
The bullpen is a little sketchy, but if the rotation is healthy, there could be some length and depth there. 

Edited by totdprods

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m probably inclined to keep Ward. I might run with 5 outfielders when everyone is healthy. But in order to do that you almost have to trade a Rengifo for an arm. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah, I like Ward. Think his first-half struggles are partially attributable to pressure, trying to be the perfect lead-off guy for Troutani, maybe putting too focus on improving defense instead of maintaining offense...his control gives him quite a bit of value still. I think he's one of the few guys who could be exchanged for good value now, at the relative height of his value, and somewhat replaced (be it internally or in winter) at good value. A 2024 OF that consisted of Trout, a re-signed Renfroe (I like him), and Moniak/Adams/Adell would be okay with me.

Rengifo for a solid RP or swingman-esque SP like Lugo? Lorenzen? seems like a good deal, especially if Drury and Rendon return soon...he could be squeezed out soon and might be squeezed come 2024 as well.

I don't know that we have the prospects to do it, but landing Flaherty and yes, I'll go there again, Goldschmidt could shore up the rotation and offense real quick. 

Ward has been hitting well, and while its not his sophomore year, it's his second full year of playing time, so I could see him having a sophomore slump.

Rengifo is frustrating player, and I dont think they need him when Rendon returns, as Escobar and Moustakas (and Drury and Velazquez) is plenty of 3B depth if needed. Plus they have Fletcher. 

They absolutely have the prospects to get Goldy, but it would take like three or four of their pitching prospects and maybe a position player too.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Maybe that guy is already on the roster? Eduardo Escobar.

He played 1B yesterday, and he crushes LHP.

Other options: Matt Duffy (lol), Carlos Santana, Mark Canha, or CJ Cron.

Mark Canha wouldn't be a bad marginal add. 

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I dunno...
Rengifo, Jeremiah Jackson, Jadiel Sanchez for Lugo (fair according to the simulator)

Ward, Bachman, Davidson, Walsh (the last two mostly for clearing 40-man spots) for Flaherty, Goldschmidt (this is a big overpay according to THE SIMULATOR)

I don’t think Rengifo, Davidson, or Walsh have much value. All 3 are non-tender candidates this offseason.

I think Lugo costs more than Jackson and Sanchez because the supply of pitching on the market is low.

STL has a glut of outfielders, so I don’t see why they’d want Ward. They have O’Neill, Nootbar, Carlson, Walker, Burleson, and Yepez in the OF. Plus, Edman and Donovan can both play the OF.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Ward has been hitting well, and while its not his sophomore year, it's his second full year of playing time, so I could see him having a sophomore slump.

Rengifo is frustrating player, and I dont think they need him when Rendon returns, as Escobar and Moustakas (and Drury and Velazquez) is plenty of 3B depth if needed. Plus they have Fletcher. 

They absolutely have the prospects to get Goldy, but it would take like three or four of their pitching prospects and maybe a position player too.

This is also where I wonder what value Quero would have to a team like St. Louis, given their struggles with Contreras. I love Quero but if his value got you far down the road on acquiring Flaherty and Goldschmidt, and to not eat into the pitching depth...

O'Hoppe and Thaiss should be able to hold down catcher for the next 2-3 years, which allows time to drum up another catching prospect.

Just now, Trendon said:

I don’t think Rengifo, Davidson, or Walsh have much value. All 3 are non-tender candidates this offseason.

I think Lugo costs more than Jackson and Sanchez because the supply of pitching on the market is low.

STL has a glut of outfielders, so I don’t see why they’d want Ward. They have O’Neill, Nootbar, Carlson, Walker, Burleson, and Yepez in the OF. Plus, Edman and Donovan can both play the OF.

They have a glut of struggling OFs too though. There's been chatter about them trying to cull that bunch a bit to address other needs...someone like Ward may offer more of a 'stable' presence. St. Louis needs to shuffle the deck. Either way, even keeping Ward, I feel like the Halos and Cardinals match up well in a number of ways. 

Rengifo seems like a player San Diego would like...Lugo will have demand, but is still a rental. Rengifo for Lorenzen makes sense too. 

I don't think Davidson or Walsh have any real value, and are probably borderline DFA candidates...I just listed them more so as 40-man clearing/throw-ins as that happens time-to-time to round out a trade. 

Also don't agree with the simulator site's valuation of Ward (25ish), Goldschmidt (17ish), and Flaherty (5ish).  

The focus should be on adding 2 solid late innings guys.

Don’t see Moreno going over the tax threshold this season.

Dangle a couple decent prospects for Barlow.

Barlow is controlled through 2024, not a rental.

Great seasons in 2021-2022, struggled some in 2023 but still has 45 Ks in 35 innings

Only issue this season is iffy control for the first time since 2019.

Then dangle Rengifo plus a solid prospect for Graveman, also controlled through 2024.

Graveman + Barlow remaining 2023 salaries - Rengifo’s remaining 2023 salary = around $3.75-$4 million added.

How much under the tax threshold are they?

Edited by Angel Oracle

11 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Yeah but according to OP, times have changed, and it would be a waste to chase BP guys, especially ones that throw hard.

It's not a matter of throw hard. Sheilds and Donkey didn't throw that hard. But they had some nasty movement, especially Sheilds backdoor slider that came back over the plate on right handed batters freezing them thinking that pitch would be way outside. It was talent, not velocity from the setup guys. Just velocity gets hit harder than movement.

Then you got to Percival that squinted to see the catcher, scaring the crap out of batters because he did throw high 90's, somewhere. Or Rodriquez that could hit 98 but that slider got more than one player bailing out of the box on a pitch that ended up center plate. 

Talent. The Angels have some but not a lot of it in the bullpen right now.

30 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This is also where I wonder what value Quero would have to a team like St. Louis, given their struggles with Contreras. I love Quero but if his value got you far down the road on acquiring Flaherty and Goldschmidt, and to not eat into the pitching depth...

O'Hoppe and Thaiss should be able to hold down catcher for the next 2-3 years, which allows time to drum up another catching prospect.

Quero and Bush would get us Flaherty, Goldschmidt and $10M.

Just now, Hubs said:

And while those are two prospects I’d hate to lose, I feel like we have the depth to sustain it, and we’d immediately get big boosts to the offense, rotation, and defense, with a real shot at keeping Flaherty past this year and having Goldschmidt next still. It’d be a big win-now move for the team and for Ohtani that doesn’t eat into the future. 

13 minutes ago, Hubs said:

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And while those are two prospects I’d hate to lose, I feel like we have the depth to sustain it, and we’d immediately get big boosts to the offense, rotation, and defense, with a real shot at keeping Flaherty past this year and having Goldschmidt next still. It’d be a big win-now move for the team and for Ohtani that doesn’t eat into the future. 

Minasian needs to make this trade today!

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Alternately from the 10M, we could send $9M for the next three years (3 each year) and Anderson back.

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Alternately from the 10M, we could send $9M for the next three years (3 each year) and Anderson back.

Was wondering myself if Anderson could be swapped out somewhere. The contract isn’t prohibitively horrible and he’s pitched well of late. Seems like a guy Tampa would take and turn into a Cy candidate, and they have a need in the rotation. St. Louis may have interest too. Would kinda be nice to free up that rotation spot so we’re not obliged to trot him out.