• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Trade Targets

7 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

run differential doesn't matter for shit. but natters is that we're closer to a playoff spot than the padres.

The Angels were designed to try to win in 2023.  At 5.5 games out of a playoff spot (all due to one short bad stretch and injuries), it just isn’t that realistic that the team is going to throw in the towel.

So I think they keep Ohtani, and this thread is supposed to based on that premise.

What to do at the trade deadline in this situation?  Who do you pursue?

30 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

How is the farm system barren when it keeps churning out major leaguers? You are just regurgitating dumbass rankings. Solid take 6.3 out of 10

Churning out major leaguers? Every team's system graduates minor league talent.  We're going on nearly a decade without a winning record now, so would you say we've been doing better than average "churning out" quality major league talent opposed to other teams?  

We are pretty much unanimously in the bottom five based on evaluation of impact talent compared to other orgs.  If you want to give me your own evaluation based on your long track record of scouting and talent evaluation, go right ahead.  

Just now, Reveille1984 said:

Churning out major leaguers? Every team's system graduates minor league talent.  We're going on nearly a decade without a winning record now, so would you say we've been doing better than average "churning out" quality major league talent opposed to other teams?  

We are pretty much unanimously in the bottom five based on evaluation of impact talent compared to other orgs.  If you want to give me your own evaluation based on your long track record of scouting and talent evaluation, go right ahead.  

Can you make up your mind on if you prioritize an impressive farm system or the mlb team winning?

The Angels recently have had neither.  

Therefore, the next phase the team goes through will feature one or the other, not both.  You may want both, but that is just not realistic.

Seems to me the team is prioritizing the mlb team winning, based on free agent signings and with the last two drafts (loading up on pitching which is the highest currency in trades) and lots of high floor college players who can contribute close to immediately.

The thread is about what to do in this observed context, not about disagreeing that the Angels should be trying to win right now.

9 minutes ago, Reveille1984 said:

You appear to have watched the last decade of Angels baseball, but cannot seem to recall anything or anyone who has been part of the organization. I can't help you with that, but based on my expert evaluating eye, you lack basic cognitive functions associated with intelligent life. therefore i can only deduce that you are an idiot.

22 minutes ago, Tank said:

weren't giolito and flaherty teammates in high school around here? 

i think a reunion in halo red would a great idea, if not now then certainly in the off season.

Yup! If Ohtani walks, I kinda hope they just split his money to both of these guys and shore up the rotation. 

Detmers, Giolito, Canning, Flaherty, Sandoval is really solid IMO. 

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Can you make up your mind on if you prioritize an impressive farm system or the mlb team winning?

The Angels recently have had neither.  

Therefore, the next phase the team goes through will feature one or the other, not both.  You may want both, but that is just not realistic.

Seems to me the team is prioritizing the mlb team winning, based on free agent signings and with the last two drafts (loading up on pitching which is the highest currency in trades) and lots of high floor college players who can contribute close to immediately.

The thread is about what to do in this observed context, not about disagreeing that the Angels should be trying to win right now.

I never said I prioritized both.  I would love to build our farm system and and have those players become impactful major league talent.  I was simply responding to a post that isn't really living in reality in terms of the talent we have at the lower levels.

Not trying to derail the conversation.  What would I do? I wouldn't make any acquisitions unless we're within 1-2 games of a WC slot by the TDL.

Stroman is a proven commodity having a great year. But his contract situation makes him a pure rental. 

If the Angels turn things around and are realistically within striking distance of a wild card by the deadline he might be worth the pursuing. 

But the Cubs would want prospects. One of the qualities of a GM is how well he can negotiate with other GMs and make deals. Perry has been modestly ok so far. No big blunders. If he can shed a couple of mid or lower tier guys in a deal it may be worth it. 

Pitching is the primary need. Stroman and Ohtani are as good as any other 1 and 2 starters. And would allow a reshuffling of the rotation.

5 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

You appear to have watched the last decade of Angels baseball, but cannot seem to recall anything or anyone who has been part of the organization. I can't help you with that, but based on my expert evaluating eye, you lack basic cognitive functions associated with intelligent life. therefore i can only deduce that you are an idiot.

Again, just meaningless insults and nothing of value.  It seems like maybe only I have watched the last decade, because I haven't been very impressed nor have many other Angels fans.

But hey, if you've been inspired by what you've seen I don't want to pull you from the joys of that alternate reality.  

1 hour ago, Reveille1984 said:

Again, just meaningless insults and nothing of value.  It seems like maybe only I have watched the last decade, because I haven't been very impressed nor have many other Angels fans.

But hey, if you've been inspired by what you've seen I don't want to pull you from the joys of that alternate reality.  

Then you should probably go root for another team. Not sure why you can’t figure it out. Also, can you please let me sit with you at your professional scouting school? You seem to be big time. I’d love to see it in action. 

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I would want the Angels to pursue controllable players that help them try to win this year and are key pieces beyond this year.

We have tried for 8 years now this does not work. Key pieces for next year and controllable pieces halos do not have farm system to trade away. Only way to improve for future years is trading assets you have at major league level now. You are promoted fantasy ideas. Teams with real farm systems in the race will get players they need. 

30 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

No, it’s not the only way.  We know it’s all you know, but it’s not the only way.

Angels need to be sellers like last year. They ended up with Moniak who many on AW were not happy with at the time. Being sellers will help this team as Ohtani is not going to be with halos next year.

8 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Who should the Angels pursue (if they are not trading Ohtani)?

I think it makes some sense to trade some prospects for an impact player that is controllable beyond this year.

Any ideas?

No one. Start the rebuild now. Sell off any tradeable assets. At the deadline it’s a seller’s market.  

It might be good for everyone if more fans could grasp that not every team at the trade deadline has to decide between a). blow up the mlb roster to rebuild or b). blow up the farm to go for it this year.

The Angels are doing neither, regardless of how bad people are mentally trapped in that false decision. 

30 minutes ago, full circle said:

Who said you have to agree with the premise of every thread to be able to comment in it? 

You don’t have to agree that the premise is correct.  But what is the point of arguing a stated premise when every Tom, Dick, and Harry already knows it’s simply a premise set to try to have a specific conversation?

28 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The Angels are doing neither, regardless of how bad people are mentally trapped in that false decision. 

the best thing for the team arguably is to do some buying and selling.

trade all the rentals for prospects, and then trade prospects for long-term pieces.

I'd love to see another trade that we don't see coming, a la the Marsh for O'Hoppe deal.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

If you reject the premise of this thread, why are you in the thread?

Who are you going to trade to get these controllable players and still keep Ohtani? Renfroe, Moore others are FA end of year. Do you trade them and keep Ohtani? Does that make any sense at all. What is your plan at deadline to get these players who are going to help now and in future? I've said it's time to build around young players halos have now. Ohtani needs to go because he is gone after this season.

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

Who are you going to trade to get these controllable players and still keep Ohtani? Renfroe, Moore others are FA end of year. Do you trade them and keep Ohtani? Does that make any sense at all. What is your plan at deadline to get these players who are going to help now and in future? I've said it's time to build around young players halos have now. Ohtani needs to go because he is gone after this season.

image.gif

13 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

One person that comes to mind is Ward. I don't how people will feel about that. Would you trade Ward, Walsh and some others for Stroman? Is that too little?