• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Trade Targets

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Why would they need a duplicate of Estevez? He has an ERA+ of 210 with 21 saves for a team that can rarely take advantage of a closer. 

A rock solid Starting Pitcher would be great or even a quality setup man, pushing lesser relievers down to lower leverage outings. Innings 6-8 is where the Angels are the most vulnerable.  

Didn't the halos have Percival and K-Rod in 2002?  May'be I'm mistaken.

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Why would they need a duplicate of Estevez? He has an ERA+ of 210 with 21 saves for a team that can rarely take advantage of a closer. 

A rock solid Starting Pitcher would be great or even a quality setup man, pushing lesser relievers down to lower leverage outings. Innings 6-8 is where the Angels are the most vulnerable.  

And rotation spot(s) #5-6, more from a roster flexibility and depth point than a talent point. 

I truly believe if the Angels can at least maintain where they’re at until the break, adding something like Flaherty/Giolito (ideal, but maybe even a Carlos Carrasco or Drew Smyly or Lorenzen) and a solid vet reliever a la Joe Kelly or a Brad Hand or Chris Stratton could be plenty if everyone stays healthy, and our injured guys come back quickly. Shouldn’t break the farm. 

This team has enough talent to pull off something like a 25-8 run somewhere when all things are clicking, even with a tough schedule.

Neto returning could be the spark we need. His injury and the effect it had reminded me of when we fell apart when DiSar went down in ‘95? I can’t quite remember. I was 9.

1 minute ago, Swordsman78 said:

K-Rod wasn’t a “flame throwing closer” in 2002. He was a young fresh live arm that pitched in five innings in the regular season.

The Angels have some young fresh Live arms in Bachman and Joyce.

But the larger point is the Angels have won 1 WS in 60+ years.  It is so tired to keep hearing how to duplicate 2002 as a way to win again.

The game isn’t even the same game today.

Spezio was in band.  We probably need a guy that plays in a band.

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

K-Rod wasn’t a “flame throwing closer” in 2002. He was a young fresh live arm that pitched in five innings in the regular season.

The Angels have some young fresh Live arms in Bachman and Joyce.

But the larger point is the Angels have won 1 WS in 60+ years.  It is so tired to keep hearing how to duplicate 2002 as a way to win again.

The game isn’t even the same game today.

Spezio was in band.  We probably need a guy that plays in a band.

"The game isn't even the same today".  Which is why I want them to get a flame throwing reliever ala Chapman.  The BP is very thin, and smarter people than you, would prefer another closer as a hedge against Estevez not being available.   Angels needed both Percy and K-Rod in the 2002 post season.  K-Rod was nails so don't disrespect him by stating "he only pitched in 5 regular season innings.  Such an idiotic take.

13 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

"The game isn't even the same today".  Which is why I want them to get a flame throwing reliever ala Chapman.  The BP is very thin, and smarter people than you, would prefer another closer as a hedge against Estevez not being available.   Angels needed both Percy and K-Rod in the 2002 post season.  K-Rod was nails so don't disrespect him by stating "he only pitched in 5 regular season innings.  Such an idiotic take.

Correctly citing that K-Rod was a young fresh live arm in 2002 that had pitched in 5 innings in the regular season isn’t “disrespecting” him.

I don’t think anybody can even take you seriously.

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Correctly citing that K-Rod was a young fresh live arm in 2002 that had pitched in 5 innings in the regular season isn’t “disrespecting” him.

I don’t think anybody can even take you seriously.

So I contribute to your thread and every response is you sh*tting on my contributions.  Nice.

15 hours ago, case said:

I wish you were the GM of the Angels and i could listen to you calling other teams on speaker phone..    "Yeah we're willing to give you Ward and Walsh for Stroman"  and just hear nothing but laughter followed by the phone being hung up. 

That is actually a pretty big overpay with Stroman having an opt out. I know you all hate Ward, but he is just in his sophomore slump, I think. 

BTV has his trade number at 24.6, with Stroman's at 6.1.

Walsh is at -1. 

6 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

K-Rod showed up end of season and was completely raw and never closed a game that year. The setup men were Donnelly and Weber and Schoenweiss was demoted to the bullpen and picked up 15 saves but Percey was the man. 

In 2003 Percival was still the closer with Rodriguez getting a couple chances but was with Shields and Donkey as the setup men. In 2004 the same thing, Percival dominated as closer, Rodriguez got more chances, still a second banana.

But those were awesome years where a lead in the 7th meant a win in the 9th. They had at least three solid arms to take the sixth through eighth inning will multiple role players for mop up. The Angels never had a better bullpen than that stretch that carried through until Rodriguez left. 

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

K-Rod showed up end of season and was completely raw and never closed a game that year. The setup men were Donnelly and Weber and Schoenweiss was demoted to the bullpen and picked up 15 saves but Percey was the man. 

In 2013 Percival was still the closer with Rodriguez getting a couple chances but was with Shields and Donkey as the setup men. In 2014 the same thing, Percival dominated as closer, Rodriguez got more chances, still a second banana.

But those were awesome years where a lead in the 7th meant a win in the 9th. They had at least three solid arms to take the sixth through eighth inning will multiple role players for mop up. The Angels never had a better bullpen than that stretch that carried through until Rodriguez left. 

You mean 2003 and 2004. 

Some names at this point as many teams are still borderline.

White Sox: Giolito, Graveman, Clevinger (has had some quality starts before he got hurt. Should be able to go next week). Wouldn't cost much.

Cards: Flaherty, Montgomery (I'm really not looking for another lefty in the rotation) maybe Hicks?.

Cubs: Main guy is Stroman. Taillon threw great vs the Yanks, yet not so well vs Cleveland and Baltimore 2 teams we may have to face.

Padres: Maybe a Darvish but his contract sucks. And he got lit up against the Rays. Snell would be a rental. Doubt they would move Musgrove..Wouldn't mind Hader! MLB took over their tv due to the Ballys Sports BK. Wonder if they will have issues affording those BIG contracts now? That could cost the Rangers & Guardians as well in the future.

A's: Kaprielian has done well (5-6 inning guy and NOT another Lefty) not a lot of offensive support in Oakland.. Currently down with his shoulder should be back next week.

Tigers: Erod (I just don't want anymore Lefties in the damn rotation)! Lorenzen.

Royals: Maybe Barlow move him to a relief arm. Not a closer. I just don't like Bad Closers on Bad Teams.

IF Yanks continue to slide: Kahnle, Hamilton for the bullpen.

In terms of name to toss out, I think a guy to consider would be Hader.  Our bullpen has been our weak spot of late, and understandably so - a lot of these guys were promoted directly from AA (Soriano, Bachman, Joyce) and/or have been journeymen previously (Webb, Moore).  I think the bullpen could really use another shutdown reliever, and Hader would most definitely be that.  Hader and Estevez would occupy the 8th/9th innings, and whoever is pitching best of the rest can cover the 6th/7th innings.

I think the Padres are likely to sell, but they will almost assuredly only sell players who are due to be FAs, as I am sure they will want to ramp up for another run next season.  So that means guys like Soto, etc will stay put, but that guys like Snell and Hader could be dealt.

Hader will cost a bit, but likely not a ton - relievers with 2 months of control don't command THAT much in a trade, even if they are really good.

That said, while this was a great series against the Yankees, there is a lot more work to be done.  To really have a shot, they need to sweep the series this month against the Blue Jays (and hence, secure the tiebreaker against them, given they have lost the tiebreaker to the Astros).  

If they finish this month strong, along with sweeping the Blue Jays, then they are right in the thick of the WC race.

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

In 2003 Percival was still the closer with Rodriguez getting a couple chances but was with Shields and Donkey as the setup men. In 2004 the same thing, Percival dominated as closer, Rodriguez got more chances, still a second banana.

Schoenweiss was Jewish.

10 hours ago, Blarg said:

Yeah but according to OP, times have changed, and it would be a waste to chase BP guys, especially ones that throw hard.

The angels have a pretty atrocious minor league system after the promotions of Silseth, O’hoppe, Neto, Bachman, and Joyce. 

they don’t have a ton of minor league guys to deal from… Trading Quero seems like a bad move, Ky Bush is kind of meh, as are Paris, Jackson, Blakley, Guzman, etc al. 

you can’t trade Caden Dana as he seems like the only premier arm in the system right now. 

I’ll let him answer too, but Barlow wouldn’t be bad if the cost was cheap. Track record is good, relievers are volatile, we need depth, he’d be a buy-low candidate. Not unusual or unrealistic for a reliever with poor numbers on a bad team put up solid numbers after a midseason deal to a contender. 

We have a lot of talent on this team, and even small depth adds on the margins could go a long way, a la Moustakas, Escobar. Adding guys like Barlow or Lorenzen or Carrasco would help shore up weak points. Hell even Lance Lynn literally eating innings as a #5-6 could domino the pen and more talented arms into being more well-rested instead of using them on unwinnable games. Maybe a change of scenery brings him down from a 6.00 ERA to something like 4.50. 

Hoping they keep momentum up against Pittsburgh and Detroit. Wouldn’t mind seeing a small depth trade pulled asap - it could inject a morale boost to the team too. Someone like Barlow makes sense in that respect.