• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Shohei Ohtani Trade Return Thread (if the Angels trade him)

Chuck

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

OK, fair enough - I see the picture. My bad, Strad. Maybe I'm confusing the moment - there was one celebration that he didn't seem to participate in. Maybe its me distancing myself from Sho, preparing myself for his departure.

My brother has already started distancing himself from Ohtani.  

3 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Just curious, I know Trout is under contract for years to come and has shown an increase of injuries and some prolonged slumps. If we trade Ohtani, any chance we commit to a full blow up and shop him?

I would hope not.  

2 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Just curious, I know Trout is under contract for years to come and has shown an increase of injuries and some prolonged slumps. If we trade Ohtani, any chance we commit to a full blow up and shop him?

You would need Trout's blessing, as he has a full NTC due to 10/5 rights.

16 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

If Ohtani is traded, Angels should look to include Anderson in any trade package to get away from that contract.  Rendon would be ideal, but he has a NTC. 

If you were to tell Rendon he would be going to a playoff contending team with recent history of winning championships (i.e. the Giants) and that the Angels are going to go into rebuild mode, I believe he would wave the NTC. 

13 minutes ago, T-angel said:

If you were to tell Rendon he would be going to a playoff contending team with recent history of winning championships (i.e. the Giants) and that the Angels are going to go into rebuild mode, I believe he would wave the NTC. 

Highly doubtful he plays in said new playoff contending team.  I'm sure he wants to play, but he gets paid no matter what, so he may be open to being traded elsewhere and not play.  He's doing that right now.

3 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

I don't think so. First of all, his contract is prohibitive - especially considering that he's turning 32 soon and is not the player he was a few years ago. Oh, and hasn't played more than 119 games since 2019, or 150 games since the Obama administration.

But also because if any player has the right to decline with the Angels and be overpaid while doing it, it is Trout. He is the Angels, past and present - and likely future. While I will miss Ohtani and don't look forward to seeing him wear and Giants or Dodgers cap, it would just feel wrong to see Trout wearing another uniform. He's our guy.

4 hours ago, DMVol said:

@Chuckster70  Gut feeling or little birdie information?

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

👀👀👀

This was before they won. Now they're keeping him. 🙂

Nah, I'm sure it's going to be a rollercoaster of thoughts on whether Ohtani is staying or going in the next couple weeks. 

If they play around .500 it may go either way. If they completely suck (lose today and against NYY) and just shit the bed over the next two weeks, I'm sure he's all but gone. 

Should the Angels go on a good winning streak or just start taking every series from here until Aug 1st, I'm guessing he stays. 

10 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

This was before they won. Now they're keeping him. 🙂

Nah, I'm sure it's going to be a rollercoaster of thoughts on whether Ohtani is staying or going in the next couple weeks. 

If they play around .500 it may go either way. If they completely suck (lose today and against NYY) and just shit the bed over the next two weeks, I'm sure he's all but gone. 

Should the Angels go on a good winning streak or just start taking every series from here until Aug 1st, I'm guessing he stays. 

I don't know why anybody in their right mind would base a career move on how the 2023 Angels play over the next two weeks.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't know why anybody in their right mind would base a career move on how the 2023 Angels play over the next two weeks.

That’s what I don’t understand. Why does an injured depleted team’s play over a 2 week stretch determine the next 10 years of Ohtani’s career. 

idk seems short sighted 

I think it would be best for the team if Ohtani plays at his best till the deadline. If he can help win games then playoff hopes remain on the horizon. And maybe they keep him to go all in.  If he plays well and they lose his trade value remains high. If he slumps then both scenarios lose value. 

Rendon's contract was discussed. 

Everything fell in place for Rendon when he had his career year. His best stats personally, and a big part of a series winning team. Right as he hit free agency. An absolute perfect scenario. 

How often to players repeat or come very close to their career season? Rendon was good before, but peaked  higher during that one season. Without that peak season coming when it did and sliding immediately into free agency he gets a much more realistic deal. 

It was a position of need for the Angels, Pujols was on the way out, and Arte let recency bias kick in. 

Even uninjured Rendon was not trending close to that peak season. At best, more in line with his previous career numbers. Respectable, and a big all around upgrade. But not at that price. 

With the bad luck and slow recovery times for his injuries, Rendon has been a non factor each season with the Angels. 

As we have seen countless times in all sports, many players regress after signing their big contracts. Especially coming off career years. I doubt many expected such production from him, but the contract was based on all star level production over multiple seasons.

Rendon hasn't just followed a slow slope of decline. He hasn't even played when healthy enough to accurately measure. But from what we have seen this year it would be a revelation if he ever justified even half of the value of his contract. 

11 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

I think it would be best for the team if Ohtani plays at his best till the deadline. If he can help win games then playoff hopes remain on the horizon. And maybe they keep him to go all in.  If he plays well and they lose his trade value remains high. If he slumps then both scenarios lose value. 

Everything fell in place for Rendon when he had his career year. His best stats personally, and a big part of a series winning team. Right as he hit free agency. An absolute perfect scenario. 

How often to players repeat or come very close to their career season? Rendon was good before, but peaked  higher during that one season. Without that peak season coming when it did and sliding immediately into free agency he gets a much more realistic deal. 

It was a position of need for the Angels, Pujols was on the way out, and Arte let recency bias kick in. 

Even uninjured Rendon was not trending close to that peak season. At best, more in line with his previous career numbers. Respectable, and a big all around upgrade. But not at that price. 

With the bad luck and slow recovery times for his injuries, Rendon has been a non factor each season with the Angels. 

As we have seen countless times in all sports, many players regress after signing their big contracts. Especially coming off career years. I doubt many expected such production from him, but the contract was based on all star level production over multiple seasons.

Rendon hasn't just followed a slow slope of decline. He hasn't even played when healthy enough to accurately measure. But from what we have seen this year it would be a revelation if he ever justified even half of the value of his contract. 

the first half of this post and the highlighted part are more fiction than fact. rendon had played seven seasons in mlb when he signed with the angels. 2 of those seasons, his first and third, were abbreviated and he put up nearly identical numbers as he has put up in his injury marred seasons with the angels this year and the last two. in his healthy years he was putting up big numbers with ops+ of 126. 108. 139, and 157. finishing 5th, 6th, 11th, and 3rd for the mvp in those seasons. his first and only healthy year with the angels? 150 ops+ and he finished 10th in mvp.

there was no recency bias. there was no illusions of any kind. rendon is a really good player. the problem is he's been injured 3 straight friggen years because apparently the angels can't have anything nice.

16 hours ago, TroutField said:

That’s what I don’t understand. Why does an injured depleted team’s play over a 2 week stretch determine the next 10 years of Ohtani’s career. 

idk seems short sighted 

It's been 7 losing seasons and Ohtani wants to be on a winner. He going to test FA.

15 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

One more start for Ohtani, next Friday then I do not pitch him again and start taking offers. 

18 hours ago, aznhockeyguy said:

If Ohtani is traded, Angels should look to include Anderson in any trade package to get away from that contract.  Rendon would be ideal, but he has a NTC. 

No way. Unless the team you're trading with places extra value on Anderson, you don't include anyone in the Ohtani trade. The whole point of trading Ohtani is to get multiple high level prospects. You absolutely need to maximize return. 

Rendon is what it is. Even without the NTC you'd have to pay 90% of his contract for someone to take him. He's essentially a wasted roster spot at this point.

18 hours ago, T-angel said:

This is my opinion, but I really don't think Rendon will ever sign off on a trade. I truly feel that he doesn't care about baseball that much anymore. It's why he chose Anaheim over LA. He said it was because he didn't want his family subjected to the "Hollywood lifestyle" or something like that. However, I really think he just wanted to avoid the bigger spotlight. If he were on the dodgers, he'd be getting blasted in the media nonstop. On the Angels it's just, "meh, Angels signed another terrible contract and continue to waste Ohtani and trout's careers".

Here his failures are overshadowed by the Angels mediocrity. Elsewhere they would be magnified. I think he's happy to finish out his career chilling in OC getting paid millions to watch baseball every night.

On 7/14/2023 at 11:07 AM, Stradling said:

I think the max you get is one top 50 prospect, like an O’Hoppe type, and a couple of very young high upside guys that haven’t quite reached that top 100 prospect level, think Kyren Paris last year.  

So Ohtani’s trade value is a little better than the trade value of Brandon Marsh?

Take this with a Grain of salt.

In a meeting this morning with team brass, Angels owner Arte Moreno “promised” superstar Shohei Ohtani that he will NOT be traded. Moreno is “prepared to offer (Shohei) a contract north of $500 million” when free agency opens

Any noise created that the Angels are in “listening mode” to trade Ohtani is media driven and completely false. Have 100% confirmation that Shohei will remain an Angel the rest of this season, before testing free agency. Angels are willing to take their chances on re-signing.
- William Fredrickson

20 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Take this with a Grain of salt.

In a meeting this morning with team brass, Angels owner Arte Moreno “promised” superstar Shohei Ohtani that he will NOT be traded. Moreno is “prepared to offer (Shohei) a contract north of $500 million” when free agency opens

Any noise created that the Angels are in “listening mode” to trade Ohtani is media driven and completely false. Have 100% confirmation that Shohei will remain an Angel the rest of this season, before testing free agency. Angels are willing to take their chances on re-signing.
- William Fredrickson

Are we supposed to know who "William Frederickson" is?