• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Shohei Ohtani Trade Return Thread (if the Angels trade him)

Chuck

$500 million will be the starting point. Not the finish line. 

I know little about Ohtani's management team, nor how much influence they have with him. But their job is to get the maximum contract while satisfying his desires. So I think baseball and lifestyle factors will be important besides the money and marketing opportunities. 

But only to a degree. There is a pride factor for his agency in setting a new high dollar mark. And likely for Ohtani too as a justifiable deal for his proven talent. 

I doubt very much that Arte gets a hometown discount. $500 million sounds like a low-ball number if he actually said that. And Ohtani's management team already knows how much off field income he generates. Elsewhere those numbers probably will be much higher. Especially at first when he's new to the team. 

And how many of those dedicated Ohtani fans you see at games with signs will remain Angels fans? Look for lots of second hand merchandise for sale if he leaves. And a wave of new purchases for his next team. 

I think the report in general of the Angels "starting to listen on Ohtani" is kind of nothingburger anyways.  Every GM is going to listen to offers on any player whether they're looking to move them or not.

Do I think Arte will be on board even if Perry gets an "offer he can't refuse"?  Probably not.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Take this with a Grain of salt.

In a meeting this morning with team brass, Angels owner Arte Moreno “promised” superstar Shohei Ohtani that he will NOT be traded. Moreno is “prepared to offer (Shohei) a contract north of $500 million” when free agency opens

Any noise created that the Angels are in “listening mode” to trade Ohtani is media driven and completely false. Have 100% confirmation that Shohei will remain an Angel the rest of this season, before testing free agency. Angels are willing to take their chances on re-signing.
- William Fredrickson

I would assume it is not credible but it is probably a pretty good guess where things are going....Until I hear something different that is credible, I think that is the likely scenario....if for no other reason, it would be consistent with a terribly run franchise for the past decade +.....

29 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think this may be true as well. It would definitely solidify his legacy moreso than going to a team that may win a WS without his help.

That being said, if he really wants to win with the Angels, he should want to be traded. It gives him a chance to compete in the playoffs during his MVP year and also ensures that the Angels will get better in the near future. And then he can always sign with the Angels. It's only for a few months so it's not like he needs to uproot his life.

Edit: the bottom line is this: he either wants to stay or he wants to go. I highly doubt that trading him will have much of an effect on that. Not trading him at this point, regardless of what he decides, will be one of these most short sighted moves in the history of baseball.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

On 7/14/2023 at 11:24 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Trading for India to take 2B could then move Drury to 1B through 2024 while Schanuel gets ready.

Have Drury work a lot on the 1B defense in the off-season.

India and one of the higher prospects that Chuck mentioned for Ohtani?

I feel pretty confident that the Reds won’t trade India, especially for a rental and while making a huge playoff push. 

19 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I mean, maybe?  But Trout and Ward (and Fletcher kinda/sorta) are the only guys from the major league team in 2018 who are still on the roster.  Different GM, different manager and coaching staff, etc. 

Yeah who knows right? just a gut feeling. 

I know that he's close with Sandoval and seems to have taken a liking to Neto. 

Minasian isn't stupid. He knows that there are several teams who can win the world series this year. Ohtani is such a massive boost to any of those teams both offensively and on the mound. I think he'll get a great offer. Now it will come down to if Arte will let Minasian do his job or if he'll get in the way. Minasian is going to have to walk a tight rope on this one, on one hand i could see him presenting Arte with the offers (knowing this will help himself (Perry) in the future regarding the health of the club) on the other hand i could see Perry overstepping his authority with Arte and ultimately get him fired for pushing Artes ego. We'll find out how good of a salesman Perry is.

38 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Minasian isn't stupid. He knows that there are several teams who can win the world series this year. Ohtani is such a massive boost to any of those teams both offensively and on the mound. I think he'll get a great offer. Now it will come down to if Arte will let Minasian do his job or if he'll get in the way. Minasian is going to have to walk a tight rope on this one, on one hand i could see him presenting Arte with the offers (knowing this will help himself (Perry) in the future regarding the health of the club) on the other hand i could see Perry overstepping his authority with Arte and ultimately get him fired for pushing Artes ego. We'll find out how good of a salesman Perry is.

The impression I have (obviously based on nothing more than connecting some dots from over the years) is that Reagins didn't handle Arte well and, if he had a good plan, he didn't get much traction with it.  He also had Scioscia looking over his shoulder and maybe he could have handled that better.  DiPoto obviously didn't feel like he could handle Scioscia well enough to get things done the way he wanted.  Eppler, I'm not sure. Where was he on the Rendon deal?  Did Arte force that?  His drafting doesn't seem to have been great and his  FA signings were generally pretty bad.  Eppler did seem to have enough sway with Arte to move Scioscia out. If Minasian did get Arte to not push Trae Turner, I wonder if he does have some sway with Arte that perhaps the others didn't?  His drafting, trades and FA signings seemingly have been better than the others....🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Take this with a Grain of salt.

In a meeting this morning with team brass, Angels owner Arte Moreno “promised” superstar Shohei Ohtani that he will NOT be traded. Moreno is “prepared to offer (Shohei) a contract north of $500 million” when free agency opens

Any noise created that the Angels are in “listening mode” to trade Ohtani is media driven and completely false. Have 100% confirmation that Shohei will remain an Angel the rest of this season, before testing free agency. Angels are willing to take their chances on re-signing.
- William Fredrickson

Although bad for my blood pressure, I like salt as much as the next guy.  Unless Ohtani specifically asks to be traded or specifically says he won't be back, I'm not trading him, so if fine with Ron's Intel.  And I don't have confidence in the Angels acumen in identifying prospect talent.  The teams that can identify gems and polish them could make such a deal, but the Angels aren't one of them.... And, sorry, but who is William Frederickson again? 

3 minutes ago, Paolo11 said:

Although bad for my blood pressure, I like salt as much as the next guy.  Unless Ohtani specifically asks to be traded or specifically says he won't be back, I'm not trading him, so if fine with Ron's Intel.  And I don't have confidence in the Angels acumen in identifying prospect talent.  The teams that can identify gems and polish them could make such a deal, but the Angels aren't one of them.... And, sorry, but who is William Frederickson again? 

Its actually Sir William Frederkison and he's a cobbler from the 1740's. He's famous for inventing the open toed shoe and is the inspiration for the novel, one flew over the cookoos nest. His great great great grand daughter runs his twitter page and she has mental health issues. 

Losing sucks and Ohtani will test FA. Why would he not? Playing on baseball biggest stage is one of his goals. Ohtani is what 29 now and not a sniff at playoffs with Angels. Halos have so many needs I just hope Arte realizes that. If they do not trade him halos will end up with nothing. I have a bad feeling come this off season he signs with another team. It will be another big mistake by Arte. Please Arte try and get a couple of pieces to build around some of halo young players. 

I think there's a slim possibility he stays if Arte gives him the massive contract, and an out clause after two years if things are still horrible like they are now. Arte hasn't been willing to do that yet with any other player, but Ohtani is NOT any other player.

I just don't see where they are going to have ANY financial flexibility at all to build a solid team with 3 massive contracts on the books at the same time. Rendon's contract is unmoveable. The small return you would get for Trout based on his injury history and play this season makes that contract unmoveable unless you eat a lot of the money left on it. It's not like in the past when we all thought there would be some flexibility when Pujols and Upton's contracts were up. Arte gave all that flexibility up when he signed Rendon.

42 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If Shohei really liked playing here and wanted to win here still, wise thing to do is be traded for a haul and then re-sign here.

Has there ever been a case in baseball history where a team traded away a player for two months, getting a "haul" in return, and then re-signed said player in the offseason?

I'm sure it's happened, but I couldn't think of an occasion where it did.

It's why I don't think you are getting a "haul" (although I guess it depends on what you mean by "haul") when opposing GMs understand it's a 2-month rental, and no guarantee beyond that.

From yesterday’s MLBTR chat with Polishuk:

I don't think there's a chance the Angels move Ohtani to a division rival, if they trade him at all

9:04
Based on rivalry alone, I think we can safely rule out the AL West teams and the Dodgers in any Ohtani trade talks.  

That's right, tonight's MLBTR hot take, the A's aren't trading for Ohtani