• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Shohei Ohtani Trade Return Thread (if the Angels trade him)

Chuck

Baltimore has drafted so well in recent years that they’d have the farm I’d feel best pulling from. What they’re doing reminds me of Houston when they had their farm building success before they ascended. Texas similarly. Think they have the farm to make a great offer and maybe it bites them down the line, especially if he doesn’t re-sign.

Tampa and the Dodgers have a lot to offer but they’re good at knowing who to part with, so it feels a little risky working there.

Not super impressed with what remains in the Padres org that seems realistic, and I personally kinda feel that their farm has been a bit overhyped in recent years, or at the very least, has produced talent that’s not nearly as good as expected, or hurt too often. 

I absolutely hate it because Dipoto and Seattle piss me off to no end, but they seem like a club that would overpay and actually provide a really good, MLB-ready return. Dipoto is such a wildcard I could see them offering a Kirby or a Gilbert or a Kelenic as a centerpiece, with him thinking he’ll just trade elsewhere to fill that player’s production immediately. 

Edited by totdprods

As I said before, Baltimore is the most likely destination based on the fact that they aren't in the AL West, aren't the Dodgers, are competitive, can spend of they need to and have the surplus prospects to pull off such a deal. 

And if I'm Minasian, I'm not waiting until the deadline to trade him. I'm trading him now, and not risking him getting injured and getting nothing in return for him. 

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

As I said before, Baltimore is the most likely destination based on the fact that they aren't in the AL West, aren't the Dodgers, are competitive, can spend of they need to and have the surplus prospects to pull off such a deal. 

And if I'm Minasian, I'm not waiting until the deadline to trade him. I'm trading him now, and not risking him getting injured and getting nothing in return for him. 

Ohtani for Holiday straight up. 

33 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Are you saying you wouldn’t do it or that Baltimore wouldn’t do it.  I highly doubt Baltimore would make that trade.  

Baltimore doesn't make that trade. It's the theory (or law depending on how you view it) of compounding value. Two average players doesn't equal one elite player, or two "top 100" prospects doesn't equal the number one pick and number one prospect in all baseball. 

The Orioles would be more likely to trade Heston Kjerstad and DL Hall than Holliday. 

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Baltimore doesn't make that trade. It's the theory (or law depending on how you view it) of compounding value. Two average players doesn't equal one elite player, or two "top 100" prospects doesn't equal the number one pick and number one prospect in all baseball. 

The Orioles would be more likely to trade Heston Kjerstad and DL Hall than Holliday. 

I was joking but was salivating at the idea after seeing his numbers in the minors so far. 

I read an article he was walked with the bases loaded the other night. 

crazy, Joe Maddon made his impressions on baseball, I guess. 

5 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I was joking but was salivating at the idea after seeing his numbers in the minors so far. 

I read an article he was walked with the bases loaded the other night. 

crazy, Joe Maddon made his impressions on baseball, I guess. 

Talking to a scout friend of mine, he says he's Wander Franco. The type that's major league ready before he can legally buy a beer, and the type that are all-stars within their first two or three seasons. 

35 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Kjerstad could solve the RF issue, if Adell can’t stick as a regular.

Top 40 prospect, strong arm and power, takes fair share of walks, only issue being the past myocarditis that sidelined him in 2021

DL Hall though has struggled with control throughout his MiLB career, plus the Halos already have enough LHP in the rotation.

Edited by Angel Oracle

18 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Kjerstad could solve the RF issue, if Adell can’t stick as a regular.

Top 40 prospect, strong arm and power, takes fair share of walks, only issue being the past myocarditis that sidelined him in 2021

DL Hall though has struggled with control throughout his MiLB career, plus the Halos already have enough LHP in the rotation.

Yeah, thought about Seth Johnson too.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I absolutely hate it because Dipoto and Seattle piss me off to no end, but they seem like a club that would overpay and actually provide a really good, MLB-ready return. Dipoto is such a wildcard I could see them offering a Kirby or a Gilbert or a Kelenic as a centerpiece, with him thinking he’ll just trade elsewhere to fill that player’s production immediately. 

I’d love to see Dipoto trade a chunk of his future for Ohtani, only for the M’s to miss the playoffs and see him sign elsewhere in free agency.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I’d love to see Dipoto trade a chunk of his future for Ohtani, only for the M’s to miss the playoffs and see him sign elsewhere in free agency.

I’ve come to realize that these sorts of things blow up in our face and the Angels come out looking stupid. Being the laughing stock of baseball is a full time job. 

The Mariners would win the World Series with Ohtani pitching and hitting ridiculously good in the playoffs, and whatever the angels got back in the trade would be horrible or injured. 

such is life as a halo fan

1 minute ago, TroutField said:

I’ve come to realize that these sorts of things blow up in our face and the Angels come out looking stupid. Being the laughing stock of baseball is a full time job. 

The Mariners would win the World Series with Ohtani pitching and hitting ridiculously good in the playoffs, and whatever the angels got back in the trade would be horrible or injured. 

such is life as a halo fan

Haha. Seattle has never been to a World Series. They had four HOF caliber players in their prime at the same time and still didn’t make it. Your current perspective on your favorite team has left you with no actual perspective of reality. 

31 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I would rather halos trade him to Dodgers. They get knocked out of playoffs in first round and Ohtani resigns with halos. Arte at press conference with Ohtani as Sho says Arte and I have unfinished business. Wait did I take my meds today?

7 minutes ago, Biergott said:

Anyone else nervous about looking at these forums or their phone notifications for a blindsided news drop that he was traded?  

Im dreading what seems to be inevitable now

I’m more nervous about seeing the thread or notification that the deadline passed and they didn’t trade him.

Bowden has an article on The Athletic listing some teams Ohtani could go to with some suggested returns that frankly seem a little high.  Seemed like he thought the Rays and Dodgers were most likely.

Rays:  3b prospect Junior Caminero or Curtis Mead, 1b prospect Kyle Manzardo, 2b Vidal Bruján and a pitching prospect or two.

Dodgers:  one of two catchers, Diego Cartaya or Dalton Rushing, a couple of pitching prospects from Emmet Sheehan, Gavin Stone, Michael Grove or Ryan Pepiot.  He suggests two of outfielder Andy Pages, third baseman Michael Busch or outfielder Josue De Paula.

https://theathletic.com/4695610/2023/07/17/shohei-ohtani-trade-packages-angels/

InAs we said before, it won't be the Dodgers, Rangers or Astros. So teams need to meet the following criteria too be considered: 

1. Competitive. Playoff bound teams buy at the deadline 

2. Can afford 10 million owed, and would likely be auditioning to be a front runner in re-upping him in the winter, so larger market teams. 

3. Must have prospects to actually trade.

The teams that actually meet all three criteria are the Yankees, Orioles, Blue Jays, D-Backs, and Phillies. 

Notice these are all East Coast, and Arizona. They'll be trying to sell Shohei on the idea of not playing on the West Coast, where's there isn't a strong Japanese market and the flights home will be considerably further. The D-Backs will be trying to sell him on the feasibility of them being a permanent competitor.

The Giants and Braves lack the prospects. The Rays, Marlins and Reds lack the funds. 

My prediction is he goes to Baltimore at the deadline, and in free agency he'll go to San Francisco. 

Edited by Second Base