• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Anthony Rendon looks for rebound after two straight injury-marred seasons

AngelsWin.com

TEMPE, Ariz. — As much as he’s tried to ignore the talk and focus on himself, Anthony Rendon has heard the cynics.

After having two surgeries, essentially knocking him out of two of the first three years of his seven-year, $245-million deal, the Angels third baseman knows how he’s perceived around the game.

“I don’t have social media, but a lot of my friends do, all my family does,” Rendon said on Monday morning. “They’ll text me. They’re saying this. They’re saying that. So it definitely gets to me. I understand and I hear it and at times yeah, it pisses you off. I try not to let it go further than that. You just try to use it to continue to go on for the greater purpose.”

Although Rendon had a .915 OPS and played 52 of 60 games in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, Rendon has played just 105 of the Angels’ 324 games in the last two seasons, producing a .709 OPS and 11 homers.

Those seasons have caused many — even among Angels fans — to write off Rendon.

“He hears the noise,” manager Phil Nevin said. “He certainly does. And he’s made reference to that to me. I know that he’s not out to prove people wrong. He doesn’t need to prove anything. He just wants to win. He’s been in this position before. And I know he’s pumped to get this thing started. He looks great. Watching him in the cage, watching him move around, he looks free. Really excited to see where that goes.”

Rendon and Mike Trout have both been injured often in the last two seasons, so the Angels have played just 51 games with Rendon, Trout and Shohei Ohtani in the lineup together. They are 27-24 in those games. The trio played together 33 times during the Angels’ 27-17 start last season.

“It wasn’t the only reason our record was what it was before (Rendon) got hurt, but it certainly had a lot to do with it,” Nevin said. “We just haven’t seen those three play together. To have them healthy at this moment right now is pretty cool for me. I know that.”

General manager Perry Minasian has predicted multiple times that Rendon will win the Comeback Player of the Year award, an award he won in 2016.

Rendon had played just half a season in 2015, and then from 2016-19, he averaged 146 games a year, with a .912 OPS. He hit 103 homers in those four years.

Of course, Rendon is now 32. And now he’s coming off two straight injury-marred seasons. He had hip surgery in 2021 and wrist surgery in 2022.

Rendon was still not 100 percent from the hip surgery when he got to spring training in 2022. He did make it back from the wrist surgery for a brief cameo — and to serve a five-game suspension — at the end of the season.

Rendon said he rushed back so he could get some peace of mind heading into the winter.

“I think it was good to show myself going into the offseason that I could play, even if I wasn’t the greatest player in those last few games,” Rendon said. “Just to have that in the back of your mind, knowing that I had another three months to continue to get stronger and to try to get back to normal.”

Rendon is not limited in any way as workouts begin this spring. He was on the field taking ground balls and hitting a few days before Monday’s first official full squad workout of the spring.

“I haven’t really played a lot of baseball the last handful of years, so to be out there is awkward,” Rendon said. “It’s weird. But’s that what spring training is for. Get out there every day. Continue to put the work in and try to get ready for that season.”

Asked his goals for this season, Rendon said simply “not to have another surgery.”

Asked how many games he wants to play, he conceded that he’s “not trying to play 162 games.” He applauded the Angels’ acquisition of Gio Urshela, who can spell him occasionally at third.

“Load management is going to be a part of it,” Rendon said. “Just the way my body feels and aging. I’ve been playing this game for a long time.”

Rendon is also looking forward to what comes after he’s done. He has four seasons left on his Angels contract.

“I know right now and it looks like we’re playing for the next four years of baseball, but I’m trying to hang out with my kids for the rest of their lives,” Rendon said. “You guys aren’t going to see that. When I’m trying to get out of bed when I’m 50 and I can’t because I’m trying to impress you guys from having surgeries, now I’ve got to deal with it with my kids and then my kids get the short end of the stick. I want to hang out with them. Not hang out with y’all. No offense.”

View the full article

1 hour ago, AngelsWin.com said:

“I know right now and it looks like we’re playing for the next four years of baseball, but I’m trying to hang out with my kids for the rest of their lives,” Rendon said. “You guys aren’t going to see that. When I’m trying to get out of bed when I’m 50 and I can’t because I’m trying to impress you guys from having surgeries, now I’ve got to deal with it with my kids and then my kids get the short end of the stick. I want to hang out with them. Not hang out with y’all. No offense.”

I’m a little confused by this quote.

Obviously, he prioritizes his quality of life over baseball— but is he suggesting that he could hang ‘em up early if he continues to have injuries and need surgeries?

Edited by Trendon

55 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I’m a little confused by this quote.

Obviously, he prioritizes his quality of life over baseball— but is he suggesting that he could hang ‘em up early if he continues to have injuries and need surgeries?

Go ahead and retire Anthony.  If you’re that beat up throw in the towel and let the club move on.  

2 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

TEMPE, Ariz. — As much as he’s tried to ignore the talk and focus on himself, Anthony Rendon has heard the cynics.

After having two surgeries, essentially knocking him out of two of the first three years of his seven-year, $245-million deal, the Angels third baseman knows how he’s perceived around the game.

“I don’t have social media, but a lot of my friends do, all my family does,” Rendon said on Monday morning. “They’ll text me. They’re saying this. They’re saying that. So it definitely gets to me. I understand and I hear it and at times yeah, it pisses you off. I try not to let it go further than that. You just try to use it to continue to go on for the greater purpose.”

Although Rendon had a .915 OPS and played 52 of 60 games in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, Rendon has played just 105 of the Angels’ 324 games in the last two seasons, producing a .709 OPS and 11 homers.

Those seasons have caused many — even among Angels fans — to write off Rendon.

“He hears the noise,” manager Phil Nevin said. “He certainly does. And he’s made reference to that to me. I know that he’s not out to prove people wrong. He doesn’t need to prove anything. He just wants to win. He’s been in this position before. And I know he’s pumped to get this thing started. He looks great. Watching him in the cage, watching him move around, he looks free. Really excited to see where that goes.”

Rendon and Mike Trout have both been injured often in the last two seasons, so the Angels have played just 51 games with Rendon, Trout and Shohei Ohtani in the lineup together. They are 27-24 in those games. The trio played together 33 times during the Angels’ 27-17 start last season.

“It wasn’t the only reason our record was what it was before (Rendon) got hurt, but it certainly had a lot to do with it,” Nevin said. “We just haven’t seen those three play together. To have them healthy at this moment right now is pretty cool for me. I know that.”

General manager Perry Minasian has predicted multiple times that Rendon will win the Comeback Player of the Year award, an award he won in 2016.

Rendon had played just half a season in 2015, and then from 2016-19, he averaged 146 games a year, with a .912 OPS. He hit 103 homers in those four years.

Of course, Rendon is now 32. And now he’s coming off two straight injury-marred seasons. He had hip surgery in 2021 and wrist surgery in 2022.

Rendon was still not 100 percent from the hip surgery when he got to spring training in 2022. He did make it back from the wrist surgery for a brief cameo — and to serve a five-game suspension — at the end of the season.

Rendon said he rushed back so he could get some peace of mind heading into the winter.

“I think it was good to show myself going into the offseason that I could play, even if I wasn’t the greatest player in those last few games,” Rendon said. “Just to have that in the back of your mind, knowing that I had another three months to continue to get stronger and to try to get back to normal.”

Rendon is not limited in any way as workouts begin this spring. He was on the field taking ground balls and hitting a few days before Monday’s first official full squad workout of the spring.

“I haven’t really played a lot of baseball the last handful of years, so to be out there is awkward,” Rendon said. “It’s weird. But’s that what spring training is for. Get out there every day. Continue to put the work in and try to get ready for that season.”

Asked his goals for this season, Rendon said simply “not to have another surgery.”

Asked how many games he wants to play, he conceded that he’s “not trying to play 162 games.” He applauded the Angels’ acquisition of Gio Urshela, who can spell him occasionally at third.

“Load management is going to be a part of it,” Rendon said. “Just the way my body feels and aging. I’ve been playing this game for a long time.”

Rendon is also looking forward to what comes after he’s done. He has four seasons left on his Angels contract.

View the full article

Good

He should know he's been a disappointment and if he doesn't rebound this year fans are about over him. 

All athletes trade the risk of long term injuries for a career with immense financial potential. And have an athletic skill set that allows them to take that career path. There are a multitude of careers with no physical risks. But not with the same potential financial rewards. 

Above average production at third base is why he is being paid what he is. And the reason he is being paid a fortune. Which will support his family for generations to come in a lifestyle few can do multi. 

21 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

Rendon didn't need to say this to the media. He could do his thing and quietly move on. I'm concerned he is going to become a distraction.

What a terrible signing so far. 

I hope he starts out hot and stays healthy.

And quiet.

Trust me, you don’t need to worry about Rendon seeking out the media to pop off. He pretty much hates the media and would prefer to never speak to us. He does about one interview a month. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Trust me, you don’t need to worry about Rendon seeking out the media to pop off. He pretty much hates the media and would prefer to never speak to us. He does about one interview a month. 

Good to know.

I hope the media doesn't ask other players about him when he is in his self imposed cocoon. I've seen it happen in other situations and the clubhouse doesn't need the distraction.