• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Anthony Rendon looks for rebound after two straight injury-marred seasons

AngelsWin.com

11 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Trust me, you don’t need to worry about Rendon seeking out the media to pop off. He pretty much hates the media and would prefer to never speak to us. He does about one interview a month. 

Does he ever accuse you of being part of the deep state?

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What exactly are you talking about?

When players and coaches have to field questions about other players. For example, Lebron fielding questions about Westbrook earlier this month. I don't see it being an issue here because, as you said, he rarely talks to the media.

I just think Rendon didn't need to say the things he did. 

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'd be ecstatic--as in Taylor if Rachel Maddow liked one of his tweets ecstatic--if Rendon played 120 games. He's a guy that even if he is past his prime, is a smart hitter and makes the lineup better through example and osmosis. 

I get it.  You’d be as ecstatic as that day your grandpa gave you a crispy new $5 bill and you shouted “I’m a millionaire!”

Well, let’s all hope for 120 games from Rendon.  You deserve that kind of happiness.

1 hour ago, cals said:

I get it.  You’d be as ecstatic as that day your grandpa gave you a crispy new $5 bill and you shouted “I’m a millionaire!”

Well, let’s all hope for 120 games from Rendon.  You deserve that kind of happiness.

I’d like to see Trout, Ohtani, Rendon and Ward each play 80% of the games.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'd be ecstatic--as in Taylor if Rachel Maddow liked one of his tweets ecstatic--if Rendon played 120 games. He's a guy that even if he is past his prime, is a smart hitter and makes the lineup better through example and osmosis. 

Cute, but I don't like Rachel Maddow nor do I have a Twitter account. @Rico is who you're looking for.

17 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I also would not bat Rendon 4th to start season. He has missed almost to 2 years. Bat him lower like 6th until he proves he can be productive.

I don’t follow all the stats as much as everyone else here but hasn’t Rendon been productive when he does play? It seems like all he needs to prove is his ability to stay healthy. I say he’s fine to bat higher in the order if he is healthy 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I don’t follow all the stats as much as everyone else here but hasn’t Rendon been productive when he does play? It seems like all he needs to prove is his ability to stay healthy. I say he’s fine to bat higher in the order if he is healthy 

Just to start season that way Jeff Fletcher can ask him how he feels batting lower in the order.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Last season when he played he hit .229 with a .706 OPS.

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Anything is possible but I doubt it.

I would say if that happens that would be a very bad thing for the Angels.

Ohtani status will be hanging over halos heads all season. Every city they go to reporters will be asking same questions about becoming a free agent. Would Mr. Moreno consider trading him if Angels are 6 to 7 games back a wild card spot near trade deadline. I would just hate to have him leave and get nothing for him. 

24 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Ohtani status will be hanging over halos heads all season. Every city they go to reporters will be asking same questions about becoming a free agent. Would Mr. Moreno consider trading him if Angels are 6 to 7 games back a wild card spot near trade deadline. I would just hate to have him leave and get nothing for him. 

It’s going to be dramatic no matter what happens, but decent chance we get a comp pick.  But we get to watch Ohtani for one more year while he’s in his prime and there’s some value there.

Edited by Revad

3 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

If they are 6-7 back I figure they will trade him. 

But if they’re only 3-4 back, I suspect they’ll keep him and try to get in to the playoffs. 

50 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

But if they’re only 3-4 back, I suspect they’ll keep him and try to get in to the playoffs. 

I agree.

I don't think the Angels trade Ohtani unless they are completely out of the playoff race in mid-July.

And I think it will be difficult for the Angels to even compete to sign him in the off-season unless they are fully committed to going over the CBT threshold.

On the positive side they do have $42 M in salary coming off the roster if they decide to part ways with Loup, Tepera, Moore, Renfroe and Urshela. To stay competitive they would need to take $20 M to pay for Ohtani's bump from $30 M to $50 M. and then spread the $22 M raising the floor around him. 

Maybe they resign Renfroe and/or Urshela but they need some of the young guys to break out in 2024 (Rodriguez, Joyce, Bachman, Adell, Neto, etc.) and replace the veterans who are becoming free agents.

When the farm becomes your floor instead of free agency you are headed in the right direction as an organization.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What makes you think they’ll trade him in that scenario?

I just can’t see Arte signing off on an Ohtani trade.

Arte’s quote in the NY Post about Babe Ruth made it sound like he doesn’t want to trade Ohtani under any circumstances.

8 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Anything is possible but I doubt it.

I would say if that happens that would be a very bad thing for the Angels.

It could be a good thing. If Neto crushes AA and maybe even AAA, I think they’d put him in the majors.

Especially since there isn’t a starting SS standing in his way.

Perry has acted very Braves-like, which makes sense, in aggressively promoting guys. And the farm director is from the Cardinals, which are another tram that aggressively promotes players.