• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Gio Urshela from the Twins for Alejandro Hidalgo (DFA Diaz)

mmc

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I’ve wondered something similar, that the sale could be a lot further along. I recall seeing some tidbit that Arte had been weighing selling months before it came out this summer, so it would be on target for it to be a lot closer than people think.

But I don’t think a new group would be giving Arte the greenlight for lengthy mega-deals or a major spending spree.

But a one-year hike to boost the team for one last shot for Arte and the stoke excitement for the owner transition makes sense. Arte leaves on a high note and new team has a much more exciting team to start from. Going from $185m up to $210ish for a year wouldn’t hurt Arte or new group. Taking on a $9m bench player? Locking in a stable rotation arm? A couple solid bench/bullpen vets for a few mil? A rebound OF? Jansen on a 2-yr? Maybe even one more short-term impact arm on a Syndergaard/Scherzer (high hopes) deal? Not terribly unrealistic or risky long-term.

I think you're right that maybe it's further along than we think. 
BUT
If it is further along then we think then maybe they are advising them to spend more and it's okay for a big deal. They'd consider it their first big move. 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Bellinger is a lefty, though, so he wouldn't be a good platoon at 1st with Walsh, even if he is better defensively. We'll have a lot of lefties on the team next season, even if they don't sign Bellinger, which I doubt they would.

He would make sense as a part time player, but honestly I see a small market team trying to get him to get back to form and then flipping him. 

This is what I think will happen.  However, we are looking to upgrade the OF, and if Bellinger can re-tool the swing, and close that hole, he may never get to WOW again, but he could still be very good.  And his defense is great. 

11 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

This is what I think will happen.  However, we are looking to upgrade the OF, and if Bellinger can re-tool the swing, and close that hole, he may never get to WOW again, but he could still be very good.  And his defense is great. 

Could platoon him in LF with Adell.  This way you don't completely give up on Adell.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

So I think this is a great illustration of why someone like Urshela could help so much.  We had so many poor, below replacement level options playing lots of innings last year.  If we can fill out the roster with more solid players, a la Urshela, that will help a TON.

This is a 5 win upgrade at $10 mil.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

This would be an intriguing way to upgrade the OF, assuming Walsh (and Rendon) are healthy.  Urshela getting a bulk of starts at 1B, with Walsh swinging out to LF, would seemingly help improve our LF situation.

I was thinking more of Urshela at 3b, Rendon at 1b, and Walsh in LF. But either combo would seem to work. 

1 minute ago, Tank said:

I was thinking more of Urshela at 3b, Rendon at 1b, and Walsh in LF. But either combo would seem to work. 

They still need an OF’er…Urshela provides depth at 3b (if Rendon gets hurt, again) and 1b (if Walsh doesn’t find his swing again)….maybe Walsh could be a decent LF’er or maybe Adell breaks through but we need another OF’er in the mix…

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

They still need an OF’er…Urshela provides depth at 3b (if Rendon gets hurt, again) and 1b (if Walsh doesn’t find his swing again)….maybe Walsh could be a decent LF’er or maybe Adell breaks through but we need another OF’er in the mix…

Nimmo would be great but I think it will be more of a benitendi type. Maybe they trade ward and let moniak and adell battle it out for RF 

Game 1: Urshela at 1B with Walsh in LF. 

Game 2: Urshela at 3B to give Rendon a day off his feet, Adell/Moniak back in LF. 

Game 3: Urshela gets a game in at 2B. 

Game 4: Urshela gets a rest day.

So Walsh, Urshela, Rengifo/Fletcher, Rendon and Adell all play 75% of the time. The way God and George Washington intended. 

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Game 1: Urshela at 1B with Walsh in LF. 

Game 2: Urshela at 3B to give Rendon a day off his feet, Adell/Moniak back in LF. 

Game 3: Urshela gets a game in at 2B. 

Game 4: Urshela gets a rest day.

So Walsh, Urshela, Rengifo/Fletcher, Rendon and Adell all play 75% of the time. The way God and George Washington intended. 

That's sequence A (Rendon not on the IL). What about sequence B (Rendon on the IL)?