• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Gio Urshela from the Twins for Alejandro Hidalgo (DFA Diaz)

mmc

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Urshela won't need to play SS.  Rengifo and Fletcher are both far superior defenders than Urshela and can man SS.  My guess is Urshela splits his time among all four infield positions.  But I think we all should understand the risks at putting him somewhere where he isn't very good defensively.  The shift is banned, and the Angels just signed Anderson.  Defenders in the infield have to be considerably better than they ever were before, and if they aren't, this puts contact pitchers at a considerable disadvantage. 

I'm "meh" on this trade.  Hidalgo is decent but no great loss, and Urshela.....well he's undisciplined, but he makes contact and can keep outfielders honest.  Defensively, he's ok at 3B, and I'm guessing he'd be "meh" at 2B.  At 1B, backing up Walsh, he's probably going to be about how I'd expect.  Good enough.  But shortstop?  No, I don't envision him playing there much at all. 

I can live with "meh" at 2B if he hits with a 110 or better wRC+, plus fills in as necessary at 3B, SS, and 1B. 

Anyhow, I think we'll see Rengifo, Fletcher, and Urshela rotate through 2B/SS. 

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I can live with "meh" at 2B if he hits with a 110 or better wRC+, plus fills in as necessary at 3B, SS, and 1B. 

You can't predict ball.  But if I had to guess, I'd say most of his playing time will be at 3B.  

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Urshela has only played about 23 big league innings at 2B in his career.  I am not sure how much he will play there. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

He has only played 10 games at 2B in his professional career and only 5 at the major league level.

Yeah.  I think we'll primarily see him occupy 3B/SS.  He hasn't really played many other positions asides from that, and at his age, it would be surprising to see him suddenly start playing more 2B/SS than he has otherwise.

He's played a little bit of 1B in the minors and overseas. Wonder if this is a platoon vs LHP at 1B, someone to help ease Rendon back without having to use him everyday since he hasn't played much the last two years, and an extra option at SS (don't see him playing much 2B since he's barely played there at any level). Basically seems like 3B/1B depth that can play SS.