• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Gio Urshela from the Twins for Alejandro Hidalgo (DFA Diaz)

mmc

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Interesting.  I hadn't thought of the Nevin connection.  If he's the starting SS, then I wonder if they're leaning more towards Fletcher or Rengifo as the starting 2B?

Feels like a depth move, but I can't imagine them spending $9m only to bring in a top SS on top of that (not that that was likely anyway). I think this is the end of filling the infield.

4 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Interesting.  I hadn't thought of the Nevin connection.  If he's the starting SS, then I wonder if they're leaning more towards Fletcher or Rengifo as the starting 2B?

A combo of Rengifo, Fletcher, Urshela and defense-plus Soto holding down 2B/SS sounds just fine to me.

Imagine there’s a chance we see Rendon or Urshela get some reps at 1B to spell Walsh against lefties…

Most encouraging is that after having dropped $22m on Anderson and Urshela, the Angels are practically at where their annual payroll has been in recent years. 

Here’s hoping this is part of a plan to up payroll for 2023 as one last hurrah. Nothing crazy, but what harm would it be to Arte or incoming owners if they went from $180m-ish to $200m-ish for one season? Gives Arte one last shot and could boost interest in prospective owners. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Most encouraging is that after having dropped $22m on Anderson and Urshela, the Angels are practically at where their annual payroll has been in recent years. 

Here’s hoping this is part of a plan to up payroll for 2023 as one last hurrah. Nothing crazy, but what harm would it be to Arte or incoming owners if they went from $180m-ish to $200m-ish for one season? Gives Arte one last shot and could boost interest in prospective owners. 

Opening day payroll last year was $10m higher than current projections, if I'm not mistaken. 

Just now, Pancake Bear said:

Opening day payroll last year was $10m higher than current projections, if I'm not mistaken. 

Ish. Off the top of my head they’ve been around $180m last few seasons, plus or minus a few mil either direction.

Offer a rebound OF a $15m/1 and maybe snag Jansen for $32m/2 and this team wouldn’t be in horrible shape while both adding payroll a good bit, but not harming long term payroll. 

7 minutes ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

I actually think this might be not too far off.  Rendon hasn't been able to stay healthy since he has been with us, and when he's gone down, we have had an absolute black hole at 3B.

My guess is the above is actually accurate - Urshela will be looked at as a versatile bench player at first, but he is likely a very, very strong insurance policy for what is (likely) an inevitable Rendon injury.  And TBH, that's a fantastic move by Minasian.  Having Urshela start, instead of someone like Duffy, will help this team a lot.

He may start some games at SS, but I don't think he will be viewed as the primary SS.

Urshela won't need to play SS.  Rengifo and Fletcher are both far superior defenders than Urshela and can man SS.  My guess is Urshela splits his time among all four infield positions.  But I think we all should understand the risks at putting him somewhere where he isn't very good defensively.  The shift is banned, and the Angels just signed Anderson.  Defenders in the infield have to be considerably better than they ever were before, and if they aren't, this puts contact pitchers at a considerable disadvantage. 

I'm "meh" on this trade.  Hidalgo is decent but no great loss, and Urshela.....well he's undisciplined, but he makes contact and can keep outfielders honest.  Defensively, he's ok at 3B, and I'm guessing he'd be "meh" at 2B.  At 1B, backing up Walsh, he's probably going to be about how I'd expect.  Good enough.  But shortstop?  No, I don't envision him playing there much at all.