• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Gio Urshela from the Twins for Alejandro Hidalgo (DFA Diaz)

mmc

Urshela is a good hitter for a lineup that had far too many bad ones last year. I think we're getting the platoon in the OF of Adell and Moniak, and don't expect an OF to be added. I would however, expect them to look at other starter's, specifically Senga, and maybe a guy  like Segura. I think they go with Thaiss and Stassi at Catcher until midseason at least, get O'Hoppe some reps.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

This would be an intriguing way to upgrade the OF, assuming Walsh (and Rendon) are healthy.  Urshela getting a bulk of starts at 1B, with Walsh swinging out to LF, would seemingly help improve our LF situation.

You're welcome....

1. They need to keep Rendon healthy and on the field (huge Contract Commitment).

2. Roster Flexibility

3. IF Both 1 & 2 work out good. Move Walsh to Left or a platoon with Adell. 

Just now, totdprods said:

Based off some of Perry’s comments, I’m starting to sense this was less of a specific target they had and more of an opportunistic move. They had coaches who liked him, they had a need at corner depth, and they were able to jump in and nab him cheaply before he hit open market. Makes me think money isn’t a huge concern, at least on one-year commitments.

DEPTH!!!

I like this move overall.  The money is a bit steep for a guy who can only really spell a MIFer and not really replace one.  They might try him at those spots a bit more often than I'd probably be comfortable with relative to his defense.  But he covers the corner IF spots for sure and he's a solid bat.  Also wouldn't be surprised if we see him in LF some.  

For those asking where he's gonna play, that has a way of working itself out.  

34 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Urshela is a good hitter for a lineup that had far too many bad ones last year. I think we're getting the platoon in the OF of Adell and Moniak, and don't expect an OF to be added. I would however, expect them to look at other starter's, specifically Senga, and maybe a guy  like Segura. I think they go with Thaiss and Stassi at Catcher until midseason at least, get O'Hoppe some reps.

Considering they're were looking for two positions (SS and LF) before and this is neither of them (Minasian said he doesn't see Urshela primarily as a SS), I think it's safe to say they're either making a trade to clear payroll or the budget is going up at least slightly. 

38 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Could still gamble and bring in Conforto, assuming he’s healthy?

17 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Considering they're were looking for two positions (SS and LF) before and this is neither of them (Minasian said he doesn't see Urshela primarily as a SS), I think it's safe to say they're either making a trade to clear payroll or the budget is going up at least slightly. 

Given Arte operates in complete secrecy, and he tends to try to get deals done quickly, is it possible that he actually has some sort of agreement already with the new owner, who has green-lighted the ability to raise payroll?  Or is that too far fetched to think?

I'm going to file the "he's buddies with Correa" thing under the file of "stassi and Cole like each other". But Correa would actually be a pretty decent move. 

He could solve SS, and eventually replace Rendon at 3B with Rendon to 1B down the road.

I really would hate to see the team blow their wad money wise on someone and not be able to afford Shohei. Then again, I'd hate to see us miss out on bringing in good players to save money for Shohei, then to see him walk away anyway.

I'm not saying Correa is the guy to get. But I think a better team around Ohtani is the best bet to convincing him to stay.

We just have to clarify to Ohtani that it's "Correa", not "Korea", so there won't be any awkward WW2 feelings in the clubhouse.

18 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

There’s not much payroll to trade aside from Ohtani…can’t see Rendon or Trout going anywhere, Ohtani won’t get dealt before new owner (think they’re dangling him as a carrot for new owner to make a big entrance to fanbase).

Fletcher, Loup, Stassi, Tepera…dealing them won’t help much. 

Truly think Arte is gonna prop up payroll this year. Why not? He’s gonna make huge profit and it won’t hurt new owners if he limits it to one-year commits or relatively painless deals like Anderson. Last shot at a ring.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

There’s not much payroll to trade aside from Ohtani…can’t see Rendon or Trout going anywhere, Ohtani won’t get dealt before new owner (think they’re dangling him as a carrot for new owner to make a big entrance to fanbase).

Fletcher, Loup, Stassi, Tepera…dealing them won’t help much. 

Truly think Arte is gonna prop up payroll this year. Why not? He’s gonna make huge profit and it won’t hurt new owners if he limits it to one-year commits or relatively painless deals like Anderson. Last shot at a ring.

It would be nice if he delivers a WS before selling, a la Disney when he bought.