• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Gio Urshela from the Twins for Alejandro Hidalgo (DFA Diaz)

mmc

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Ok, so what I am somewhat getting out of this is probably mainly 3B/1B, with a few starts in the middle infield and maybe even OF.

That said, given the significant injuries Rendon and Walsh have had, it would seem to make a lot of sense to have a good backup for 3B/1B, and it appears we now have that.  The best teams in this sport have multiple tiers of depth.

3 minutes ago, mmc said:

7 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

He's played a little bit of 1B in the minors and overseas. Wonder if this is a platoon vs LHP at 1B, someone to help ease Rendon back without having to use him everyday since he hasn't played much the last two years, and an extra option at SS (don't see him playing much 2B since he's barely played there at any level). Basically seems like 3B/1B depth that can play SS. 

🤔

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

"Stand" at second is an interesting way to phrase it, lol.

Shifts might be banned…but is there anything that could stop a manager from flip-flopping 2B/SS throughout the lineup?

Maybe it’s a work-around to have Urshela play 2B when RHB pull hitters are up, and someone like Fletcher jumps to 2B when lefties are up.

This is actually what I’ve wanted the Angels to do for years. Bring in a legitimately solid everyday infielder to serve basically as the bench-corner guy. There’s inevitably a need every year. 

It doesn’t make sense because of Rendon and Walsh, and it’s an expensive bench guy, but this is something playoff teams regularly have working for them. Good, everyday-quality players relegated to part-time roles because there are better options ahead of them, and it’s been a thorn in our paw for years, trotting our waiver claims, 4A filler, and rushed prospects.

Seems like Perry is helping the Angels finally make moves that involve “competent major league” style players as opposed to the angels favored tradition of “superstars and gigantic losers” only style players.  Pleased with this development. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Shifts might be banned…but is there anything that could stop a manager from flip-flopping 2B/SS throughout the lineup?

Maybe it’s a work-around to have Urshela play 2B when RHB pull hitters are up, and someone like Fletcher jumps to 2B when lefties are up.

infielders can't switch sides of the second base bag.    

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

This is actually what I’ve wanted the Angels to do for years. Bring in a legitimately solid everyday infielder to serve basically as the bench-corner guy. There’s inevitably a need every year. 

It doesn’t make sense because of Rendon and Walsh, and it’s an expensive bench guy, but this is something playoff teams regularly have working for them. Good, everyday-quality players relegated to part-time roles because there are better options ahead of them, and it’s been a thorn in our paw for years, trotting our waiver claims, 4A filler, and rushed prospects.

Right, and because in a long, 162 game season, it is unlikely that everyone will stay healthy.  Having multiple layers of depth isn't even really a luxury, it is a necessity, and something we have sorely lacked.  

A decent depth move/insurance policy to backup Rendon and Walsh both in case either struggles or is re-injured - it'd be nice not to always rely on the "hope" everyone stays healthy and delivers since "hope" or "best case" never works out for us.

I like it, and I like the early moves - (not to mention, the more competitive we look, the more attractive we'll be to other FA's) - but there are still miles to go.  

Just now, AngelStew43 said:

No one has touched this.  What if this is a precursor to another payroll dump involving Rendon?  

We could still land one of the top SS bats then, someone like Correa. 

The only way we dump Rendon's salary is if we attached our top prospects to him and have a team with a lot of money absorb his contract while receiving our top prospects.  We aren't going to do that.

I don't want to see us pursue someone like Correa, because I think we have gone down that route so many times, and it is clearly a poor strategy.  That is how we got Rendon, after all, who we are now hoping to unload.

2 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

No one has touched this.  What if this is a precursor to another payroll dump involving Rendon?  

We could still land one of the top SS bats then, someone like Correa. 

I thought it, it's just really unlikely. Coming off of two injury shortened seasons, and into the latter part of his contract, no one will want to pay his full contract so we'd have to dump a lot of cash. Don't see it. 

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

Another thought... Didn't Rendon come up as a 2B?  Could he return there?

Range left is good "solid cross over"... Range right "Not so much"... With his issues with his lower half *Hammy issues*.

I see this as a possible adjustment of Gio to Third base, Rendon to First to save his legs/lower half and a Rotation of Adell/Walsh in Left Field. If a Left fielder isn't acquired via Free Agency/Trade.

Or, this gives you the flexibility to trade a Walsh, Adell, Suarez in a package for a Left Fielder.

Or, just much more Roster Flexibility with Rendon if Healthy....?

1 minute ago, mmc said:

It's been reported that Perry wants a SS, and from what he's said about Urshela, he doesn't seem to view him as that.  So good chance we have another move in the infield

I'm sure.  But it will probably be someone we have not really discussed, much like Anderson and (especially) Urshela were not really on the radar.  He will probably swing a trade for a decent SS option that can help fill the void until Neto is ready.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Not bad.  MLB Trade Rumors has him estimated at $9.2M in arb this year, which I assume is why the Twins traded him.  He's definitely a good addition to "raise the floor," as we keep mentioning on here.  At that salary, I imagine they're envisioning him as more than a bench player.  He's primarily a 3B, though he's played some at SS.

If he is there for depth and has good upside then this is a win 

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

The 2B and SS can’t flip between positions based on the hit? It would be between ABs.

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Is this part of the new shift rule?

Under the new rules, infields will be required to have two infielders on either side of second base, and they will not be allowed to switch sides during the game

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-rule-changes-explained-pitch-clock-shift-ban-2023/oxa3a45feavwbjnxwfwiivxg

Based off some of Perry’s comments, I’m starting to sense this was less of a specific target they had and more of an opportunistic move. They had coaches who liked him, they had a need at corner depth, and they were able to jump in and nab him cheaply (prospect-wise) before he hit open market. Makes me think money isn’t a huge concern, at least on one-year commitments.

Edited by totdprods