• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Gio Urshela from the Twins for Alejandro Hidalgo (DFA Diaz)

mmc

6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Given Arte operates in complete secrecy, and he tends to try to get deals done quickly, is it possible that he actually has some sort of agreement already with the new owner, who has green-lighted the ability to raise payroll?  Or is that too far fetched to think?

I’ve wondered something similar, that the sale could be a lot further along. I recall seeing some tidbit that Arte had been weighing selling months before it came out this summer, so it would be on target for it to be a lot closer than people think.

But I don’t think a new group would be giving Arte the greenlight for lengthy mega-deals or a major spending spree.

But a one-year hike to boost the team for one last shot for Arte and the stoke excitement for the owner transition makes sense. Arte leaves on a high note and new team has a much more exciting team to start from. Going from $185m up to $210ish for a year wouldn’t hurt Arte or new group. Taking on a $9m bench player? Locking in a stable rotation arm? A couple solid bench/bullpen vets for a few mil? A rebound OF? Jansen on a 2-yr? Maybe even one more short-term impact arm on a Syndergaard/Scherzer (high hopes) deal? Not terribly unrealistic or risky long-term.

Edited by totdprods

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I’ve wondered something similar, that the sale could be a lot further along. I recall seeing some tidbit that Arte had been weighing selling months before it came out this summer, so it would be on target for it to be a lot closer than people think.

But I don’t think a new group would be giving Arte the greenlight for lengthy mega-deals. 

But a one-year hike to boost the team for one last shot for Arte and the stoke excitement for the owner transition makes sense. Arte leaves on a high note and new team has a much more exciting team to start from. Going from $185m up to $210ish for a year wouldn’t hurt Arte or new group.

I agree.  I think ownerships look at assets / debt, and the player's total future guaranteed earnings are considered debt, not just year to year salary.  So a significant 1-2 year deal would be okay, but a deal for someone like Correa/Turner/etc would not be.

Just now, Warfarin said:

I agree.  I think ownerships look at assets / debt, and the player's total future guaranteed earnings are considered debt, not just year to year salary.  So a significant 1-2 year deal would be okay, but a deal for someone like Correa/Turner/etc would not be.

$40-$60m in one year’s payroll is pretty negligible when you’re working on a $3b deal. 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

Yeah, to be honest, his numbers surprised me.

Yeah, you can halve his career pretty neatly. First four years were basically a full season with like a .800 OPS, 40 doubles, 20 HR, .300 BA.

His last four was .215 BA. Mediocre pop. OPS low .600s. Also equaled about one total season. Just got overused against righties at times.

34 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Given Arte operates in complete secrecy, and he tends to try to get deals done quickly, is it possible that he actually has some sort of agreement already with the new owner, who has green-lighted the ability to raise payroll?  Or is that too far fetched to think?

I'm skeptical that'd be the case because Manfred said during the World Series that the league was still doing background checks on potential bidders before releasing financial info to them.

But it does seem like there's going to be a surprising increase in payroll this winter, unless they're done with big moves or there are some salary-clearing trades to come.

15 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Bellinger is out there.  Just saying. 

Bellinger is a lefty, though, so he wouldn't be a good platoon at 1st with Walsh, even if he is better defensively. We'll have a lot of lefties on the team next season, even if they don't sign Bellinger, which I doubt they would.

He would make sense as a part time player, but honestly I see a small market team trying to get him to get back to form and then flipping him. 

34 minutes ago, totdprods said:

But I don’t think a new group would be giving Arte the greenlight for lengthy mega-deals or a major spending spree.

But a one-year hike to boost the team for one last shot for Arte and the stoke excitement for the owner transition makes sense. Arte leaves on a high note and new team has a much more exciting team to start from. Going from $185m up to $210ish for a year wouldn’t hurt Arte or new group. Taking on a $9m bench player? Locking in a stable rotation arm? A couple solid bench/bullpen vets for a few mil? A rebound OF? Jansen on a 2-yr? Maybe even one more short-term impact arm on a Syndergaard/Scherzer (high hopes) deal? Not terribly unrealistic or risky long-term.

Why not just go for one year at $225 million payroll (still under tax threshold by some $8 million) to start the season then?

What is the current 2023 payroll, including Anderson and Urshela?

2 hours ago, mmc said:

It's been reported that Perry wants a SS, and from what he's said about Urshela, he doesn't seem to view him as that.  So good chance we have another move in the infield

If Perry is going to add another infielder then I hope it's someone way better than Rengifo/Fletcher. Otherwise, i'd add to the rotation.

Although a part of me would love to see one of Turner/Swanson/Correa and then flip a trade for an arm.