• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

These are the type of moves that, for whatever reason, the Angels front office under Minasian doesn’t seem to make.

Teams will claim a player and DFA another, then claim a different player and DFA the player they had previously claimed, etc. etc.

Maybe you weren't paying attention last season because that was the conga dance for infield, outfield and the pitching staff by the All Star break. 

11 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Carlos Correa is a slut.

I would say he's more of a prostitute, than a slut. One is legal, one is illegal. One gets paid, the other doesn't. He's kind of like a legal prostitute....or a well paid slut.... Either way. 

Edited by Second Base

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

I would say he's more of a prostitute, than a slut. One is legal, one is illegal. One gets paid, the other doesn't. He's kind of like a legal prostitute....or a well paid slut.... Either way. 

In general I find the people are just people.  I’m in no position to throw stones.

44 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Maybe you weren't paying attention last season because that was the conga dance for infield, outfield and the pitching staff by the All Star break. 

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I just went back and looked.

Minasian has made 10 waiver claims/trades for DFA’d players.

Eppler made 47 waiver claims/trades for DFA’d players.

45 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I just went back and looked.

Minasian has made 10 waiver claims/trades for DFA’d players.

Eppler made 47 waiver claims/trades for DFA’d players.

Seems like an odd thing to consider a strength vs. a flaw.  

All these transactions are usually pretty inconsequential.  And Billy made a ton of them in previous years because he was trying to build a bullpen with zero minor league depth.  

Now that Eppler is with the mets he's made far fewer.  In fact, he made less than Minassian last off season if you include PTBNL/cash considerations transactions as well.  And it's really not that different from signing a minor league free agent which Perry has done a ton of.  

Also, it doesn't really work when the guy you release is selected off of waivers.  Which has happened several times over the last year plus to the halos.  

No offense to any of these players, but they are the trading cards you wedge into the bike wheel so the spokes make noise.  

6 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I could have lived with both the Correa deal and the Cueto deal.  

I could, too. I suspect that they're probably going to try to stay south of the LT threshold for the moment given the sale, however, so I think Correa just wasn't going to happen, and Cueto may not have been interested or a good fit for whatever reason. I really hope they bring in either another starter or 1-2 solid relievers. They have the room for it and it's really what is needed to complete the off-season.  

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I know @Inside Pitch doesn't like Cueto but I think that would have been a good deal for us. It would push Suarez to the 6th spot and Cueto at #5. 

Meh, as a 6th guy he's whatever -- I said this previously.  I just have zero faith he can come anywhere close to the numbers he put up last year in a shift free world and not pitching the bulk of his games in the worst division in MLB.

Every year I have a list of guys I want no part of, much to my disgust the Angels have signed two of them previously (Cody Allen/Matt Harvey), and a third (Teheran), I voiced concerns over.  Many here lauded those deals too. 

While I don't think he will be the disaster those guys were, I think my streak is safe.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Meh, as a 6th guy he's whatever -- I said this previously.  I just have zero faith he can come anywhere close to the numbers he put up last year in a shift free world and not pitching the bulk of his games in the worst division in MLB.

Every year I have a list of guys I want no part of, much to my disgust the Angels have signed two of them previously (Cody Allen/Matt Harvey), and a third (Teheran), I voiced concerns over.  Many here lauded those deals too. 

While I don't think he will be the disaster those guys were, I think my streak is safe.

Wacha? I kind of feel the same about him as you do about Cueto. 

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Wacha? I kind of feel the same about him as you do about Cueto. 

No, I agree with you there.  Both guys seemed to smoke and mirror their way through 2022.   Wacha is weird, oldest 30/31 year old pitcher in a long time.  The one thing he has going for him is he can still manufacture his own outs at least.  

He's signed now, and was problematic due injury concerns and yet another lefty -- but I liked Wade Miley as a possible addition.

12 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think if the FO truly is playing the luxury tax game, then perhaps they'll hold off on acquiring another pitcher until after the arbitration eligible players have their contracts (potentially) settled this Friday.  That would provide financial clarity.

I think they'll add another starter, but it won't be via free agency. I think Perry is going to try to get an upside play injected into the rotation. Someone that can potentially be a game changer, or could simply end up being a reliever. 

There are too many possibilities in that scenario to even wrap my head around (it's pretty nuanced), but I think it'll come together via trade.