• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

5 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Twins being used as leverage to get the Mets to shit or get off the pot.

I don't think so, since the article says it's from two club sources.

The article also said that "Boras reached out to other teams, including the Twins."

If it was a leak from Boras, he'd claim that teams were reaching out to him. (Which is what the NY Post article by Heyman a few days ago claimed)

12 hours ago, Blarg said:

The Warriors payroll is $215 million for 12 players. Lacob is paying more than that in luxury tax at $268 million. It is an insane way to do business but they must be making the money to pull it off. Makes you wonder how the Angels, in a market exponentially larger than the Warriors, couldn't see a profit in going over the tax limit to win. 

For Arte, I don't think it was about profit, in terms of his payroll willingness. I think it was just the line in the sand. Him saying, "I've invested this much, if you can't win without me being penalized for the money I give you to win, then it's your shortcoming, not mine." 

And part of that is true and part of that is indicative of a larger deficit. The teams that didn't need to exceed the tax line to win had more money invested in the minor leagues and won because of it. Arte spent nothing on the farm, and when your farm isn't churning out quality major leaguers, you have to spend more in order to have quality major leaguers. So it's his own damn fault. 

I'd rather have a payroll 20 million less with lots of farm talent being produced than 20 million more with nothing on the way. 

14 hours ago, Warfarin said:

The Angels’ market is larger than the Warriors?  I don’t follow the NBA, but aren’t the Warriors based in SF?

Warriors market area is 4.7 million.

The Angels market area is all of Los Angeles county, Inland Empire and Orange County. About 17 million. Close to 4 times the Warriors. 

6 hours ago, mmc said:

That was unexpected.  For a team that is shopping pitching, that is an interesting move.

As @Stradlingsaid above, I have to imagine they are trading someone.  They need hitting, so they are probably effectively doing what we suggested we could consider earlier in FA - sign a SP, then using pitching depth to acquire hitting.