• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New York Times Acquire The Athletic

failos

11 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Sports is famously free from politics.

Respectfully disagree.  I think the difference is with athlete's ability to easily broadcast an opinion publicly. Social media has changed everything for everyone.  

Gotta hand it to the New York Times, they have figured out ways to stay relevant in ways that no other print newspaper has.  Their puzzle content (Spelling Bee having gone viral), the really innovative things they've done with data visualization through The Upshot, now this acquisition of a really high-quality digital news operation... the "Old Gray Lady" doesn't seem so old or gray.

11 hours ago, Stradling said:

No sarcasm at all. In the main forum where we discuss baseball, he brings up race and politics before anyone else. 

Not at all. I'm just the one you disagree with the most and like the least, so it sticks out in your mind. I don't post enough to even be in the discussion for that category.

32 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Not at all. I'm just the one you disagree with the most and like the least, so it sticks out in your mind. I don't post enough to even be in the discussion for that category.

Don’t flatter yourself. You may not post much anymore but when you do, you are going to bring up BLM or some dumb shit that doesn’t belong on here. 

So back to the NYT acquiring the Athletic.  Some articles a few month ago.  There was actually one a week or two ago that I can't find, that was discussing the viability of the Athletic model.  And how they are spending a ton of money on writing talent and paying them well over industry norm to retain them.  And that that model was unsustainable.

The Athletic: $140M In Funding, Still Not Profitable

Is The Athletic Running Out of Time?

Just my opinion, but the biggest problem that the NYT acquiring the Athletic brings is now it's not some tech company with an idea on sports, and investors are investing in that vision.  Now it's part of the NYT and a whole different viewpoint of the media company and it's stockholders is going to be realized.  As part of a corporation, your arm needs to be profitable and drive viewers.  The Athletic model already showed, that it is not profitable.  So NYT will more than likely do what companies do when acquiring another company.  Cutting non profitable smaller markets, and really losing the soul of what the Athletic represented.  For instance, one thing that I've noticed was that the Athletic has regular articles on the Ducks.  Probably 10 people read it, but it's one of the few places that reports the ducks regularly and equally like a larger market.  But you know that writer will get cut, along with the Angels, leaving the LA teams to dictate the regions sports talk, because they drive subscribers.  Eventually, it'll get to the point that places like St. Louis will have a good % of their population reading the articles.  But since that number does not justify the salary paid, they will cut that coverage.  Leaving only the big markets having coverage, and thus the political perception of they are favoring NY or LA and not Anaheim.  

22 hours ago, gotbeer said:

So back to the NYT acquiring the Athletic.  Some articles a few month ago.  There was actually one a week or two ago that I can't find, that was discussing the viability of the Athletic model.  And how they are spending a ton of money on writing talent and paying them well over industry norm to retain them.  And that that model was unsustainable.

The Athletic: $140M In Funding, Still Not Profitable

Is The Athletic Running Out of Time?

Just my opinion, but the biggest problem that the NYT acquiring the Athletic brings is now it's not some tech company with an idea on sports, and investors are investing in that vision.  Now it's part of the NYT and a whole different viewpoint of the media company and it's stockholders is going to be realized.  As part of a corporation, your arm needs to be profitable and drive viewers.  The Athletic model already showed, that it is not profitable.  So NYT will more than likely do what companies do when acquiring another company.  Cutting non profitable smaller markets, and really losing the soul of what the Athletic represented.  For instance, one thing that I've noticed was that the Athletic has regular articles on the Ducks.  Probably 10 people read it, but it's one of the few places that reports the ducks regularly and equally like a larger market.  But you know that writer will get cut, along with the Angels, leaving the LA teams to dictate the regions sports talk, because they drive subscribers.  Eventually, it'll get to the point that places like St. Louis will have a good % of their population reading the articles.  But since that number does not justify the salary paid, they will cut that coverage.  Leaving only the big markets having coverage, and thus the political perception of they are favoring NY or LA and not Anaheim.  

The NYT will turn it into Inside Sports 2.0