• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New York Times Acquire The Athletic

failos

48 minutes ago, SurfWriter said:

It takes the NY Times, LA Times and others to do in-depth investigative journalism, too, the kind of reporting that exposes wrongdoing in city govt, social inequities, scandals in places like USC, etc.  

Take note, people.

44 minutes ago, SurfWriter said:

That's an interesting point.  I wasn't aware of the NYT having done that much to be "relevant," but maybe you're right.  I just think that it's a sad time for the daily newspaper and local newspaper publishers in the country.  So many have gone under or are struggling because of the proliferation of "social media" platforms that broadcast a lame version of the news that normally leaves out anything relevant to your community.  It takes the NY Times, LA Times and others to do in-depth investigative journalism, too, the kind of reporting that exposes wrongdoing in city govt, social inequities, scandals in places like USC, etc.  That's why I subscribe to the LA Times and to the NYT digital edition.  But there's virtually no news reporting on smaller towns and cities, neighborhood news and so on.  The good that journalism has always done is being lost in the Facebook, twitter, yahoo and other universes where the latest "influencer" gets coverage but not news that matters.

Take note, people.

16 hours ago, SurfWriter said:

I should make clear that I don't know sh-t about The Athletic and don't understand why the NY Times is investing in it.  I think it's a mistake on their part, especially at a time when they and other daily newspapers and outlets are struggling to survive.  So I guess they see it as both a good investment and a way of expanding their readership.  But I'm still waiting for someone on this site to explain why The Athletic is a worthwhile investment and helps the NYT expand their readership in a meaningful way.  I'm open to hearing a rational explanation.  And I'll have to do my duty by checking out what The Athletic contains these days.

This is an optimistic analysis of the deal:

https://thelogic.co/opinion/letter-from-the-editor-the-new-york-times-deal-to-buy-the-athletic-is-a-win-for-journalism/?utm_content=bufferb4311&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

1 hour ago, SurfWriter said:

They have plenty of both.  One leads to the other, which you slyly describe as a financial settlement or "arrangement".  See my further commentary above.

I read it and meh.  It's what the well connected and wealthy do.  Again, USC has no scandals.  What should happen is that their accreditation be removed as a result.  

10 hours ago, SurfWriter said:

How cynical and dismissive to reduce it to just "what the well-connected and wealthy do".  (It may involve that but is about much more than that.)To continue to deny USC has had scandals is just senseless, or else you think you have a superior concept of what a "scandal" is.  But yeah, USC should have been penalized by now by whatever governing bodies and authorities have some oversight.

Name one equally reprehensible scandal resulting in appropriate consequences for the institution,  leadership and all people who were complicit.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:17 PM, arch stanton said:

I subscribe to The Athletic for hockey and soccer. Stuff written by Canadians and Brits. I don't see that changing much

Are you still in the Middle East? If so, is it difficult to consume hockey content there (e.g. watch games live)?

13 hours ago, Gavin said:

Are you still in the Middle East? If so, is it difficult to consume hockey content there (e.g. watch games live)?

I have the NHL package and I watch almost every Avalanche game live. They usually start at 4 or 5 am local but that’s when I get up anyway. Ain’t nothing going on around here to keep me up past 9:30 so I just slightly adjust my hours