• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels minor leaguers blast Arte Moreno for terrible living conditions

mmc

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I was just wondering what the issue with slavery was for those not so 'free-thinking' people...

Ok, ok I admit I'm just trolling you at this point. I may just be reading too much into your choice of words.

I am a freedom freak.  I can’t think in any other way.  For me, personal freedom is more important that everything else combined.

With my personal viewpoints, I can think of few things worse than slavery.

I would rather be murdered than enslaved, regardless of the living conditions.

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

That's literally my freshman year of college. But I was getting an education at the same time. I wasn't a professional working a professional job.

To be fair, neither are these guys. As I said earlier in this thread, the overwhelming majority of these guys are merely sparring partners for actual contenders. 

I think essentially, these guys who arent at least at AA by say 22 need to reevaluate their odds and futures. I work w a handful of failed minor leaguers.... they say the same.

Reference the earlier comment about draft picks being an investment, this is very true. But all investments are a gamble. And most of these investments dont pan out.

On the flip side, the players are also making an investment / gamble. Theyre gambling that theyre good enough to make it to the show, and become rich beyond our imaginations. With guaranteed contracts... for doing something literally one industry, and 30 companies in the world will pay them to do.

Again, if its my team, I set these guys up for success. I build a dorm for them, and feed them, and have a decent training facility. But if Im a ballplayer, I weigh out the odds versus my skill.

Put it this way, how much would it cost to give these guys furnished apartments for the season like the Astros have done.  Maybe a million or so?  Alex Claudio who didn’t last the whole season with us signed for 1.125 million.  Would you guys rather have substantially boosted minor league morale, where our players can completely mentally focus on their jobs as minor league baseball players because they aren’t constantly stressed about finances, or 4 crappy months of Alex Claudio?

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Put it this way, how much would it cost to give these guys furnished apartments for the season like the Astros have done.  Maybe a million or so?  Alex Claudio who didn’t last the whole season with us signed for 1.125 million.  Would you guys rather have substantially boosted minor league morale, where our players can completely mentally focus on their jobs as minor league baseball players because they aren’t constantly stressed about finances, or 4 crappy months of Alex Claudio?

No one is even considering this and it's very sad. 

We shouldn't want our minor league players feeling like shit. Give them what they need so they can focus on baseball. We need these guys in the best condition possible to potentially help the big league club. 

This shouldn't even be an issue. We want our system to be in good shape, not frustrated with the owner and the living conditions. Other organizations have taken steps to fix the issue. The Angels should follow suit. 

Also.  They are doing professional baseball.   That makes them “professionals”.   The minor leagues is professional baseball.  I’ve seen a couple of people here say otherwise. 

I don’t feel like getting into this debate but I’ll just say that on a very basic level I don’t see how it benefits the organization to have their developing players - even the ones that don’t really have great prospects for getting to the majors -  have shitty living conditions or feel like they’re getting fucked vs. “better organizations” why wouldn’t the Angels strive to be 1st class ? …. This isn’t a poor organization.  In fact the opposite.  It’s a wealthy organization.   The Angels can spring for comfortable dormitories.  They can have max 2 guys in a suite and they can afford to give them good meals and a leisure allowance to go along with some kind of pay.   Average AAA player makes $15K.  Do they want to manufacture baseball players or not ? Good management wants players to want to be there.  Why not have your club be regarded as the best to play for.  Or try and have that impression. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

48 minutes ago, mmc said:

39 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

No one is even considering this and it's very sad. 

We shouldn't want our minor league players feeling like shit. Give them what they need so they can focus on baseball. We need these guys in the best condition possible to potentially help the big league club. 

This shouldn't even be an issue. We want our system to be in good shape, not frustrated with the owner and the living conditions. Other organizations have taken steps to fix the issue. The Angels should follow suit. 

30 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Also.  They are doing professional baseball.   That makes them “professionals”.   The minor leagues is professional baseball.  I’ve seen a couple of people here say otherwise. 

I don’t feel like getting into this debate but I’ll just say that on a very basic level I don’t see how it benefits the organization to have their developing players - even the ones that don’t really have great prospects for getting to the majors -  have shitty living conditions or feel like they’re getting fucked vs. “better organizations” why wouldn’t the Angels strive to be 1st class ? …. This isn’t a poor organization.  In fact the opposite.  It’s a wealthy organization.   The Angels can spring for comfortable dormitories.  They can have max 2 guys in a suite and they can afford to give them good meals and a leisure allowance to go along with some kind of pay.   Average AAA player makes $15K.  Do they want to manufacture baseball players or not ? Good management wants players to want to be there.  Why not have your club be regarded as the best to play for.  Or try and have that impression. 

A trio of excellent posts from millennials and Gen Z. The Boomers will just come back with, "But I used to grill burgers naked in the snow for 15 cents an hour to pay my way through college, so these guys shouldn't complain."

24 minutes ago, Taylor said:

The Boomers will just come back with, "But I used to grill burgers naked in the snow for 15 cents an hour to pay my way through college, so these guys shouldn't complain."

Feeling inadequate is understandable. Being jealous that some people did stuff without complaining is kinda embarrassing.

27 minutes ago, Taylor said:

A trio of excellent posts from millennials and Gen Z. The Boomers will just come back with, "But I used to grill burgers naked in the snow for 15 cents an hour to pay my way through college, so these guys shouldn't complain."

Those boomers should have made some side scratch with their only fans, or as influencers. Maybe a youtube blog. 

Minor leaguers should be afforded room and board based on their production.

If you're batting .300, you get a private room in a furnished apartment and food delivered.

If your batting .260, you share a room with 5 other players and Taco Bell.

If you're batting .220, you get a sleeping bag and a map to a food bank.

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

Minor leaguers should be afforded room and board based on their production.

If you're batting .300, you get a private room in a furnished apartment and food delivered.

If your batting .260, you share a room with 5 other players and Taco Bell.

If you're batting .220, you get a sleeping bag and a map to a food bank.

Which is still more than they get now